Sat on the new CTX1300 today

Not a bad looking bike in person. Micro windshield is kinda silly IMHO. Sitting on it was an experience. Not really a cruiser but certainly not a sport bike. Riding position is like sitting in as office chair with no back rest. Personally not a very comfortable seat for me to my surprise as it looked big and plush. The handlebars are the real trip. Amazingly long. Makes for an awkward pullup from the sidestand while sitting in the seat. Gives the bike a top heavy feel in general. Does have tip over pegs I guess you would call them above the engine. Never saw these in the pictures. Great candy red paint.

kenstone

Re: Sat on the newCTX1300 today

That windshield looks silly to me too, and I thought it might pull up taller, but found no mention of that.
I see where Honda does sell a taller shield for it though.
I was riding in Utah in Feb and one pass me out on the highway so I caught up to the guy but couldn't tell what model it was.
I do like the balanced look from the back, with 2 mufflers.
Are the bars traditional 7/8 dia. or some funcky forging that would be hard to change?

OP
OP

That windshield looks silly to me too, and I thought it might pull up taller, but found no mention of that.
I see where Honda does sell a taller shield for it though.
I was riding in Utah in Feb and one pass me out on the highway so I caught up to the guy but couldn't tell what model it was.
I do like the balanced look from the back, with 2 mufflers.
Are the bars traditional 7/8 dia. or some funcky forging that would be hard to change?
Sorry to say I did not notice. I just remember black. The dealer said they reminded him of beach bike handlebars. The analogy seemed apt.

kenstone

Yeh, of interest to me too, until I got to the weight...732 pounds wet:eek1:
Not much different from a goldwing in my view and they missed the boat putting a chain on the ctx700:mad::(
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

kenstone

yeh, I know, the weight's down low, is the usual shtick, gas tank under the seat kind of excuses for 700+ pounds.
And then there's the width, even my NT seems too wide between the seat and ground for a Vtwin:rolleyes:
But what do I know, Honda's not making mc for me/my type buyer anyways, knowing I'll be on a scooter or Lark chair soon :doh1:
Ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700

I sat on one at the bike show and it didnt feel heavy or unwieldy at all

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300

Ken, Have you ever danced with a fat woman? Once they are moving they are very light on their feet!

Sam:)
But getting your arms round them is a different matter... :D

ccRider246

I went to the dealer to check one out Saturday. They didn't arrive schedule. Will have to check it this weekend. I like the looks and need a bigger bike for wife and me. I'm 6 3 and wife is 5 11. The NT is a bit small for both of us. I'm guessing windscreen issue can be handled after market but if not it would be a deal breaker. I could use another 3" on the NT screen as it is.

Bike
2010 Red NT700

My dealer has three on the floor already
I sat on one
It seems like a whole lotta motorcycle
BTW, price tag was in the $15K range
As much as I would like having that engine, if I was to walk in there and get something today on a budget, I would lean hard towards the CTX700 with DCT

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

I thought the CTX1300 felt heavier than I'd want to have to handle. It did look like a pretty nice bike, but if I wanted that engine, I'd be more likely to look for a used (or even new) ST1300.

Motorcyclist has an article on their website about a CB500X farkled up w/ most of Honda's accessory catalog. It's expensive stuff, but it appeals to me more than anything else I've seen. I wish it didn't have a chain, but on a smaller bike, that probably wouldn't be as much of a problem. Clement Salvadori took one of the CB500s on a fairly long test trip in an issue a month or two ago.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

Phil. I agree with you about the CB500X. I would be tempted to get one for a commuter bike but I don't need our want two bikes and I have become really fond of my NT.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

Warren, I'll always be a one-bike guy, too, but if it gets to the point where I need a bike other than my current NT, and if I couldn't find a good low-mileage ABS-equipped NT, at this point I think the little CB would be my 2nd choice.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

It does not look like as compared to a cruiser that they were impressed.

"I found the CTX's comfort to be relative. Technology, too, is debatable, given that your average V-twin is packed with some pretty impressive gizmos these days. As for the eXperience, it's a fairly bland one. Like many bikes that have debuted recently, this one is not quite a cruiser. While we think it's brave for Honda to take a new trail, this might be a bit too far off the beaten path."

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

My sales buddy Scott at Sun Honda yesterday told me that a friend of his had been all excited about the CTX1300 till he rode it. When he came back from a ride, he said that there wasn't anything he liked about the bike.

Scott is a sport-touring kind of guy and he appreciates the desire for something lighter than the liter-plus-sized sport-tourers. We both agree that there's not much out there now that meets that need.

I've still got my fingers crossed waiting for the FJ-09.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

The basic design of some of the cruisers is very old but what's wrong with that? Simplicity and laid back comfort is what apparently a lot of Folk's want as it the biggest market segment in the United States and probably the world. There is NO cutting edge technology in the NT at all, nor is there in mine or my Goldwing. The technology growth now seems to be on the electronics side. There is nothing new in our scooters either Chris, maybe fuel injection in some. The engine in some of my past V-twins would use the NT as a boat anchor:)

Sam:)
It all depends on where you are coming from. For me fuel injection, water cooling, electronic ignition and antilock brakes are cutting edge :) I look at my NT like I look at my car. If anything goes wrong with it I am taking it to the dealer to fix because its too "cutting edge" for me to work on :)

elizilla

As Phil pointed out, just because Honda comes out with a new design, doesn't mean it is perfect. :D I'm just glad they are trying. If they were trying along the lines of a sport-touring bike, we'd be cheering them on.
LOL! If they were trying along the lines of a sport touring bike we'd be extra super duper critical and nitpick it to death, because we are so keen. We have a very detailed and specific idea of our dream machine, and nothing ever matches it. I remember I was absolutely on fire to see the VFR1200F, and then it arrived with a tiny fuel tank and I gave it a miss.

But when someone comes out with yet another cruiser, I don't nitpick it, I just pass it by without ever even paying attention to any details.

The fact we're even talking about the CTX at all, means they did at least a few things right.

Bike
2010 Red NT700

I'm sort of enamoured with the CTX700 with DCT right now. If I could afford it, I would try one right now

Top Bottom