Save money on oil changes

Igo

FYI folks, just checked the Wix filter, it's PN 51358 I looked & the specs & it might be a little long to work on the NT per the Dave Fellah on this video

Pity really I've used Wix in the past & had no issues with them & they're commonly available. so if you do install one double check it after you take it off the center stand & please post the results.
I'm confused. These are Honda filters correct? or did I miss something?

OP
OP

elizilla

No, people are talking about various aftermarket filters now.

jsims

I was out shopping for oil today but got confused. I know we are not to use "Energy Conserving " oil, but several oils had " Resource Conserving" in the API Circle. Whats up with that---OK to use "Resource Conserving" ? Jerry

OP
OP

elizilla

According to this site, Resource Conserving is the new name for Energy Conserving. Sounds like they added some emissions-related standards?

jsims

Thanks Katherine. It is getting harder to find non energy conserving oil. I bought oil for high mileage vehicles which didn't have the energy conserving or resource conserving designation. Jerry

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Thanks Katherine. It is getting harder to find non energy conserving oil. I bought oil for high mileage vehicles which didn't have the energy conserving or resource conserving designation. Jerry
I do not believe that any 10W-40's are energy conserving. If you use this wt. range you should be ok. If you are looking for 10W-30 then its more challenging.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Warren, I'm pretty sure that Mobil-One 10W-40 is eneregy conserving. I'm thinking that the non-energy conserving oils are all 10W-50. But as anyone who visits this place often already knows, I'm frequently wrong.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I can't recall exactly, but it seems like Shell Rotella Dinosaur Juice I used in my last bike was 10w-40 and was NOT
"energy conserving," or whatever the correct term is these days. In ref to drain plug sealing washers, I've found myself in a pinch a few times with no new washers on hand so reused the old washer after lightly sanding both sides of the washer to remove any imperfections. I put fairly fine sandpaper on a smooth surface of the work bench and rub the washer back-and-forth a few times on the sandpaper which is all it takes as the aluminum is soft. This is more of a problem on my Accord because the washer is being crushed between between steel parts so the inside edge becomes ridged.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You're right! I've even used the Rotella. I think I may be approaching the day when I don't know it all and realize that I don't know it all. I was about 25 when I decided that I probably shouldn't act like I know it all... but I secretly knew that I did.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - I got to thinking later and realized the viscosity was probably 20w-40 or maybe 20w-50?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Who knows? I guess I will when I change oil in the next few weeks.

Top Bottom