Save money on oil changes

FYI folks, just checked the Wix filter, it's PN 51358 I looked & the specs & it might be a little long to work on the NT per the Dave Fellah on this video

Pity really I've used Wix in the past & had no issues with them & they're commonly available. so if you do install one double check it after you take it off the center stand & please post the results.

I'm confused. These are Honda filters correct? or did I miss something?

No, people are talking about various aftermarket filters now.

I was out shopping for oil today but got confused. I know we are not to use "Energy Conserving " oil, but several oils had " Resource Conserving" in the API Circle. Whats up with that---OK to use "Resource Conserving" ? Jerry

According to this site, Resource Conserving is the new name for Energy Conserving. Sounds like they added some emissions-related standards?

Thanks Katherine. It is getting harder to find non energy conserving oil. I bought oil for high mileage vehicles which didn't have the energy conserving or resource conserving designation. Jerry

Thanks Katherine. It is getting harder to find non energy conserving oil. I bought oil for high mileage vehicles which didn't have the energy conserving or resource conserving designation. Jerry

I do not believe that any 10W-40's are energy conserving. If you use this wt. range you should be ok. If you are looking for 10W-30 then its more challenging.

Warren, I'm pretty sure that Mobil-One 10W-40 is eneregy conserving. I'm thinking that the non-energy conserving oils are all 10W-50. But as anyone who visits this place often already knows, I'm frequently wrong.

I can't recall exactly, but it seems like Shell Rotella Dinosaur Juice I used in my last bike was 10w-40 and was NOT
"energy conserving," or whatever the correct term is these days. In ref to drain plug sealing washers, I've found myself in a pinch a few times with no new washers on hand so reused the old washer after lightly sanding both sides of the washer to remove any imperfections. I put fairly fine sandpaper on a smooth surface of the work bench and rub the washer back-and-forth a few times on the sandpaper which is all it takes as the aluminum is soft. This is more of a problem on my Accord because the washer is being crushed between between steel parts so the inside edge becomes ridged.

You're right! I've even used the Rotella. I think I may be approaching the day when I don't know it all and realize that I don't know it all. I was about 25 when I decided that I probably shouldn't act like I know it all... but I secretly knew that I did.

Phil - I got to thinking later and realized the viscosity was probably 20w-40 or maybe 20w-50?

Who knows? I guess I will when I change oil in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom