Saw the NM4 today

Wow what a spaceship! It is truely a two wheeled lazy Boy. Even tried the backrest. Did not work for me unfortunately. Really made my back hurt. And it has the biggest rear tire I have ever seen on a Honda. Guess we will see if it can do better than the DN1 but it really seems to be the futuristic version of same.. For certain the lowest seat I have been in ever. I an odd way I came to appreciate the styling before the day was done. Certainly cutting edge. Will never get comfortable with no clutch lever.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
We are no longer the 9000lbs gorilla in the market. We don't buy enough bikes to make our wishes heard anymore.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
After reading the spec sheet, it appears that it is of the same DNA as the CTX700, NC700, etc. If it is to be useful for any touring at all, why don't they put a REAL windshield on it? And some serious weather protection for the lower body?

After my Burgman, I have stopped missing a clutch lever, and more importantly REALLY like having two hand brake levers. It is much more intuitive to me, and I think far quicker to actuate than a foot brake. (After lots of bicycle miles, a foot brake always seemed awkward anyway.)

Not having ridden a DCT automatic, it should be much more efficient than the ancient V-Belt type of CVT on my Burgman. However, the low rpm engine with an automatic probably feels like grandpa's old Buick, IMHO.

Not sure about the very low seat height, but the backrest seems very appealing. IF it fits right. Maybe the low seat height takes away the stigma of the "step through" scooter mounting.

And of course, the bane of long distance touring is that it probably has a @%#& chain, like its brethren bikes.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I had a motorcycle with 3.5 tank, big issue was you always were stopping for gas. I don't think in urban riding you will get over 50 mpg. You have to stop at the beginning or end of each ride (I always try and bring home a full tank), and so unless your riding with H-D Sportsters with a small tank you the one who always making the group ride. I believe urban riders tend to ride in groups often.
I don't think Honda uses a Belt on any motorcycle, and at over $10K, that a lot to pay for a urban toy. I believe the NM4 will have a short life. I not against the styling, it kind of interesting to see something out of the box. I think a good scooter is better for the type of rider the NM4 is aimed for (that is not he the problem plagued BMW).

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I think that Karl nailed it. The US is not a market of significance for Honda (with the exception of their cars, lawn mowers, outboards, and gensets)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think the US is still a significant market for Honda for sport bikes, dirt bikes and large touring bikes like the Goldwing. Granted unlike Harley that has most of its sales in the US most of Honda's overall sales are small motorcycles sold in developing countries.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
At $10 or $11k, I can't see why anyone would buy this over an NC700X, unless money was not really an issue and they are in love with the unique styling.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I kind of like it. At our advanced ages, (can you say anachronisms) we are not the future of motorcycling. There are a lot of 18-30 somethings out there who one day will be posting stuff on forums like we are now shaking their heads about what we (the Anachronisms) rode and what the 18-30 somethings of their generation are riding.

What I like about Honda is that they are willing something new. The bottom line is they are trying to appeal to an untapped segment of the population, and I applaud that despite what may fit for me personally. There is room for a lot of different bikes out there. I hope it sticks enough to morph into something that makes some riders as happy about their machine as we are about ours, respectively.
Len

SeattleJim

I doubt this version will sell any better in the U.S. than the DN-01 (my dealer said that stood for Do Not Order One). However, I really like the engine. My wife traded her Burgman 650 for the CTX700N. The motor doesn't rev high but it does rev freely in its range. With good torque it is a lot of fun to commute with. Shifting is a breeze (no experience with the DCT). Commuter mileage is in the low 50's and backroad touring she gets 62 mpg. Chain maintenance is no big deal but I may but a Scottsoiler system on it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here's a review that touches on the NM4 from a perspective you don't normally find in a motorcycle review. http://www.gizmag.com/honda-vultus-nm4-motorcycle/31522/ I think after reading it, you might change your minds about the future of the NM4 and Honda's "wisdom".

Chris
That is great, so why try and market this thing in the US. Why use precious market, transportation, floor space dollars etc, to market this ugly thing in the US. Spend those resources to bring us a new version of the NT or ST instead of a unit that is targeted for Asia. But then again maybe they (Honda) know something about immigration trends that we don't know.:biggrin:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
That is great, so why try and market this thing in the US. Why use precious market, transportation, floor space dollars etc, to market this ugly thing in the US. Spend those resources to bring us a new version of the NT or ST instead of a unit that is targeted for Asia. But then again maybe they (Honda) know something about immigration trends that we don't know.:biggrin:
Because you never know, it might sell...

... though not to us :rofl1:

Top Bottom