Scala G4 Powerset

Skeeter

I have one I've been using for 2 years now. It is awesome. Well everything except the FM radio...that kind of sucks. But the Bluetooth to iPhone connection is great and it is nice to listen to music without the need for earbuds. phone connection is decent and you can answer a call without hands. Just say something and then say hello. With the intercom, they connect to other riders pretty easily. It's been pretty reliable. And it works great with Siri. (iPhone 4S) I feel naked riding without it.

Bike
Bonneville T120
My only issue is that the communication systems turns off after a very short time of inactivity. It is voices activated for start up but it is not immediate. Have the reason we have it is so one of us can warn the other of gravel, a tree branch in the road, whatever and usually we are by the hazard before communications is reestablished. Other than that, works great!!!

Missy

We use this set as well. It works fine over here.
But, do any of you know if my European-bought set will work in the U.S. ?? Or will i have a frequency problem?
They are mounted to our helmets, which we will bring with us ofcourse for our road-trip.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I love the FM radio in my Q2. It is the reason I still have it installed on the helmet I wear around town.

Intercom and VOX. When my brother and I ride together we just turn the comm system on and leave it there. No, can't listen to music when we aren't talking, but, we like it better that way. VOX is ok when you only want to exchange info every now and then, like when to coordinate a gas or pee stop. But, I find it irritating even then. I like to talk to myself and sing with music sometimes and the VOX makes that a public thing :) It also comes on when you sneeze or tap your helmet or any other louder noises. So I leave the system on manual, ie, if I want to talk I tap the buttom.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I may have asked this question before, but I'm old and I ask the same questions over and over and over.... please be tolerant.

Am I right in thinking that there is not frequency compatibility between different brands of helmet-to-helmet comm systems? To talk to Rick on the Ride, would we have to have the same brand of communicators to communicate?

Or is there some standard set of frequencies that all these things use. I haven't had a working CB radio in years and years, but the capability to go to channel 19 and be able to talk to other people on the highway was a nice feature that seems to be missing now.

Unless I'm missing something.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Unless I'm missing something.
Well....:D

Am I right in thinking that there is not frequency compatibility between different brands of helmet-to-helmet comm systems? To talk to Rick on the Ride, would we have to have the same brand of communicators to communicate?
The units all use the same frequency spectrum allocated for their use by the FCC. In the USA The Bluetooth frequency range is what they are using. However, the manufactures have chosen not to be interoperable even though they use the same frequency spectrum. If a Scala talks to some other brand why care which brand you buy??? It would just come down to price... So yes you will probably need the same brand to talk...

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
But, do any of you know if my European-bought set will work in the U.S. ?? Or will i have a frequency problem?
I do not think you will have any issues using the intercom. The built in FM Radio Receiver, if you have it, will not work as the US frequency plan is offset from Europe, we use odd frequencies, such as 97.1Mhz while in Europe you use even frequencies like 97.2Mhz if I recall correctly. I would contact Scala and confirm that the units use the same Bluetooth frequency range in Europe as the USA and if there are any issues...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You must have the same brand to talk to each other. Not a guess, confirmed by Scala and Sena.

You should be able to use these in Europe. Bluetooth is an international standard.

Top Bottom