Scrambler Ducati

Bike
Bonneville T120
Obviously this isn't designed for the same purpose as the NT. However I'd be tempted to trade my T100 Bonneville for one of these. 75 horse power, 31 inch seat height, 410 pounds wet. I think it would be an absolute blast to zip around town on this little bad boy.
2015-ducati-scrambler-33.jpg

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
How different is that from the Monsters? I always thought they were the perfect 'hooligan' bikes.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I'd be concerned with long term reliability. On my return from Spearfish last year, I ran into a guy on a '14 Diavel and his friend (R1150GS) from Virginia. He said the Diavel was great when it wasn't in the shop. The problems started with second gear shortly after he took delivery. In less than a year the dealer/factory put about $20,000 in parts and labor into it. As of July 2014, he said it was almost right.

I will watch and wave when one goes by, but I will pass on Ducatis.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A few years ago I rode in the Pyrenees and met a guy from PA who rode Ducs at home. He said, "You always need to have two because one is in the shop!"

In regards to BMW dealers in OH, I believe there are at least 3: MotOhio in Columbus, Holt in Athens, and a multi-line shop in Cleveland has the third. About 10 years ago (?) BMW NA cut dealer profits on new bike sales by 50% and that started the national exodus. If their goal was to eliminate dealers, it worked.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If you punch "BMW motorcycle dealers in OH" into Goggle Search, you get around 6 but I know for sure some of those no longer carry that brand. Except for Harley-Davidson, this prolonged recession has not been kind to the motorcycle business.

tawilke46

If you punch "BMW motorcycle dealers in OH" into Goggle Search, you get around 6 but I know for sure some of those no longer carry that brand. Except for Harley-Davidson, this prolonged recession has not been kind to the motorcycle business.

That is certainly true for motorcycle sales, but the slow economy seemingly has not made a dent in 4 wheeler sales. Our local dealers sell 4 wheelers like hot cakes during hunting season. Sometimes you can't get into the parking lot!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Very true although it seems the side-by-side "ATVs" have taken over from the normal types.

In reality, the side-by-sides are not true ATVs as defined by the industry up into the late-90s. Up to that time, an ATV needed a single seat you straddle (like a horse), handlebars, and weigh less than 600 pounds. This kept the ATVs separate from the lawn tractors, golf carts, etc., in regards to liability and safety standards.

I believe the industry may have changed some of those specs as they saw growth of the side-by-sides and also some units having engines up to 1000 cc!

ps. I was an ATV riding instructor for 16 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
All Seasons in Wooster, OH has BMW, Guzzi and the 4 major Japanese brands. I'm told they're good. I hope so as I'll be there in 5 months.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Very true although it seems the side-by-side "ATVs" have taken over from the normal types.

In reality, the side-by-sides are not true ATVs as defined by the industry up into the late-90s. Up to that time, an ATV needed a single seat you straddle (like a horse), handlebars, and weigh less than 600 pounds. This kept the ATVs separate from the lawn tractors, golf carts, etc., in regards to liability and safety standards.

I believe the industry may have changed some of those specs as they saw growth of the side-by-sides and also some units having engines up to 1000 cc!

ps. I was an ATV riding instructor for 16 years.
Yep, has changed a LOT!! Now days there are many that are more like the old dune buggies rather than traditional ATV's.

And the farmers/ranchers, IMHO, were the ones that pioneered the change. They started taking their 'utility carts' hunting. All the things that made them useful on the ranch were just as useful in the field. The ATV crowd kinda 'morphed' them into higher performance. The 'dunes' folks then looked at them as smaller versions of their 'rails'. Now you have many that look like mini-dune buggies and the utility versions have a lot more off road capability.

If I were interested, I'd have bought one for the property instead of my riding lawn mower. Hook up a mower to it for summer and a blade during winter, then take it out hunting and fishing. Use it to haul trash, etc, etc.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Our independent repair shop in Belmont, ME specializes working on Ducati. He says that the Scrambler is a very simple and basic bike with two valves per cylinder and a lot of features that invite the do-it-yourselfer. Sounds almost like a Guzzi.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Bob, you should meet Greg Field some time. He's something like 6'4" and 250. His favorite bike is a modified Eldorado (mostly suspension mods). There are very few riders in the area who can stay up with him in twisty stuff. One guy who liked riding with him was a retired Italian F1 racer. Don't know what Greg thinks of the V7.

Top Bottom