Scratched windshield

Luke7

While preparing for another snowstorm, I sat on my bike for a minute or 2 wondering if it will ever get back out. I noticed that the windshield has a lot of minor surface scratches, most likely from using a rough cloth to clean it sometime this summer. Is there a good product that may polish out some of the scratches.
:frown:

Paul

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
There is a product called Novus which is essentially an ultra-fine rubbing compound made for taking care of plexiglass windshields on aircraft. It comes in three different grits, #1, #2, and #3. Long ago I bought #2 and #3 to take care of scratches on my PC800 windshield but didn't buy the #1 because normal plastic polish can do the finish work. If the scratch or scratches are deep, you'll have to start with 400 wet & dry sandpaper then progress to 600 wet & dry then use the Novus. You can buy it at Whitehorse Gear plus it's also available at other places.

Last month I used those two + normal polish to clean-up the dirty and grayed headlight lens on my lady friend's '01 Suburu. It did a great job and she was overjoyed that she could again see the headlight pattern on the road! Prior to that I couldn't tell if her headlights were on when riding in her car.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
If the scratch is deep and the Novus #3 doesn't do the trick for you you can go to a auto parts dealer and get some micro sand paper. It will go as fine as 5,000 grit. Rough sand with 2,000 paper then to 3,000 grit. You will not see any scratches when you are done. Just like they do with plastic face watches. Finish with novus. Problem solved.If it isn't real bad the novus #3 will do the trick but as finish with #1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PC-5-1-2-x-9-Combo-WET-OR-DRY-SANDPAPER-1500-2000-2500-3000-5000-GRIT-/380840703096

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVUS-Plastic-Polish-Scratch-Remover-Cleaner-Kit-1-2-3-2oz-Bottles-1-Each-/150667894330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2314819e3a

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
There is a product called Novus which is essentially an ultra-fine rubbing compound made for taking care of plexiglass windshields on aircraft. It comes in three different grits, #1, #2, and #3. Long ago I bought #2 and #3 to take care of scratches on my PC800 windshield but didn't buy the #1 because normal plastic polish can do the finish work. If the scratch or scratches are deep, you'll have to start with 400 wet & dry sandpaper then progress to 600 wet & dry then use the Novus. You can buy it at Whitehorse Gear plus it's also available at other places.

Last month I used those two + normal polish to clean-up the dirty and grayed headlight lens on my lady friend's '01 Suburu. It did a great job and she was overjoyed that she could again see the headlight pattern on the road! Prior to that I couldn't tell if her headlights were on when riding in her car.
With years of motorcycling, like DirtFlier, Novus is awesome. Keeps any plexiglass / polycarbonate surfaces scratch free. I use the #1 and #2 all the time and it keeps the windscreen like new. I use it on my gauge plastic's, headlights, and even use it on my plastic lens glasses to keep them free of those fine scratches.

EDIT: PS I purchased mine at the local Honda Dealer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom