Seat cushions

Don

Good afternoon, just got my 2010 NV about a week ago. For you guys who have used an AirHawk seat cushion on the stock seat, what size/shape do you use? I really don't want to spend the money for an after market seat. My rides would probably max out at 4-5 hours and I have a few back and hip issues so I'm just looking for a little extra comfort. Thanks

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have an Airhawk R Large that I bring when I'm riding through time zones. If you're a guy, you definitely want the R version.

Reactions: Don
Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I have used air cushions for years. They are a good alternative to a custom seat, which I have also had. I started with the original Air Hawk Cruiser seat. I purchased a Air Hawk 2 for a second bike and found it inferior to the original. The original is made of neoprene (rubber) and the Air Hawk 2 is made of polyurethane (plastic). I sent the AirHawk 2 back and do not recommend it. I found a suitable alternative with the Air Seat Innovation product. It is made of neoprene and is similar in comfort to the original Air Hawk. The difference is the Air Seat Innovations has larger and fewer air chambers. I use the large square version as a seat cushion for my office chair and take it with me on long car trips. It is important to tune the seat to your liking by adjusting the air pressure so it is just enough to keep a thin layer of air under you.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
While not an air cushion, I use and love a sheepskin pad I bought from AeroStich. It is very comfortable and as I tend to sweat a lot when the temps go above 80° or so, the airflow through the sheepskin helps keep the monkey butt away. The only problem is if it starts to rain, as it will soak up quite a bit of water. Rain in the summer isn't much of a problem in the Pacific Northwest though.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The best solution to avoid the dreaded soggy bottom is the beaded seat cover. The beads keep your butt off the seat cover so you're not sitting in a pool of water. They also greatly increase airflow down there during hot weather. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The best solution to avoid the dreaded soggy bottom is the beaded seat cover. The beads keep your butt off the seat cover so you're not sitting in a pool of water. They also greatly increase airflow down there during hot weather. :)
Amen! When I was using my OE vinyl seat, the bead rider kept my tush dry and comfy. I put the Russell Day Long on late last summer and the leather seat doesn't seem to be as prone to a sweaty tush. One thing however if you opt for a bead rider, DO NOT get the ceramic beads, stick with the wooden ones. My first bead rider was the wooden variety and it was great. After a few years the paint wore off the beads and they started to deteriorate. When I ordered a new one I sprung for the ceramic beads as I figgered they would last forever.... and they do, but in Missouri summers it gets damned hot and the sun is very intense. After sitting in the sun on a summer day those little ceramic rascals store and retain heat remarkable well. So much so that a few seconds after sitting on it, the sensation on your tush is like sitting on an arrangement of mini charcoal briquets....and they stay hot for a loooong time. You look like an adventure rider standing on your footpegs while those babies chill out.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
The airhawk has channels through the bladder and side vents on the cover. I definitely recommend it over any other cushion. It's based on medical air cell cushions for folks who are in wheel chairs. It's also adjustable by adding in or letting out air. Starting to feel a little discomfort, crack the air valve and let some air out. That center channel on the type R is a godsend. I'm not sure how you could make an adjustable bead cover. Bring along a sander to lower and wood putty to raise?

Another customer comparing both:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Two different purposes here: The Beadrider to stay dry in the rain or cool in hot weather and the Airhawk for cushioning. I have used both at different times during the riding season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don

Don

The airhawk has channels through the bladder and side vents on the cover. I definitely recommend it over any other cushion. It's based on medical air cell cushions for folks who are in wheel chairs. It's also adjustable by adding in or letting out air. Starting to feel a little discomfort, crack the air valve and let some air out. That center channel on the type R is a godsend. I'm not sure how you could make an adjustable bead cover. Bring along a sander to lower and wood putty to raise?

Another customer comparing both:

I've decided to combine the AirHawk R with a sheepskin cover. I did about three hours in the saddle today and was a little uncomfortable towards the end and when summer gets here in South Florida I think the sheepskin will help

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Don, I rode my first C-10 Concours with a sheepskiin for a year before it wore out.. I replaced it with custom seat from Rocky Mayer that wasn't a very good saddle, even after he reworked it once. Then I got a Russell Day Long and that's what I've ridden since on both my C-10 Connies and on the NT.

BTW, I meant to tell you that my daughter and her husband live in Palm Bay, not too far from you.

Top Bottom