Seat

So I just bought an NV700T because I was looking for a smallish sport touring bike to see if my wife would like it more than my ‘83 KZ750 and avoid having to buy some sluggish “cruiser” for her comfort. It came with a Corbin seat so I thought surely that would add a lot of comfort for longer rides....wrong. She hates it and I hate it. She says she likes the seat on the KZ way more. I guess my question is; does anyone have any experience with other aftermarket seats or was the stock seat plenty comfortable and should I just track one of those down instead.

Never in my life would I have bought one of these bikes. I like my old CB/KZ/GS bikes. I’m not into cruisers and if I ride something other than one of those it’s usually a dual sport or a sport bike.
One ride on this goofy thing though, and I am hooked. I need her to love it too because I’ll buy another bike, no problem, but I don’t want to sell this one. But if she isn’t comfortable it makes this bike kind of pointless to me.

So...she hates the passenger seat height and firmness of the Corbin. Go to stock or is there a better aftermarket option?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'd try a used, standard seat first...then move on if that doesn't work.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have never had a custom seat so don't know how good they are.
Seating is a very personal thing as it has to fit your individual ........... posterior.
I have covered 96,oookm on my standard seat and have very little problem at three to four hours between stops.
Admittedly by then I am a bit stiff and a little numb, but that makes the break more enjoyable.
I hate riding with people who want to stop every five (read that as 30-60) minutes for a smoke/coffee/pee.
Two hours minimum for me before I am ready to put a foot on the ground.

Macka

Avi

Hello - I am interested in your Corbin seat and I do have my original seat that I could send across to you.

Please send me a message and I will coordinate with you.

Thank you.

OP
OP
BackwaterFowler
I believe I have access to the original seat from the previous owner. I am waiting on a call back. If that’s the case I would look at letting go of the Corbin for whatever he charges me for the original

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I tried a Corbin on my NT and it was a total disaster.... :rolleyes: A 2X6 chuck of wood covered with vinyl would have been more comfortable. Plus the
Corbin steals a lot of the underseat storage as they use their own seat base. The odd thing is I have a Corbin on my FJ1200 and it is very comfortable...:unsure:

Avi

I believe I have access to the original seat from the previous owner. I am waiting on a call back. If that’s the case I would look at letting go of the Corbin for whatever he charges me for the original
Sounds like a Plan. Please let me know.

Avi

I tried a Corbin on my NT and it was a total disaster.... :rolleyes: A 2X6 chuck of wood covered with vinyl would have been more comfortable. Plus the
Corbin steals a lot of the underseat storage as they use their own seat base. The odd thing is I have a Corbin on my FJ1200 and it is very comfortable...:unsure:
Hi Wayne - Thanks for the input. Very valuable.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm not ashamed to admit that I keep an AirHawk R Cruiser Large seat cushion in the pannier. The stock seat isn't bad, but I still start to get sore after a few hours I'll pull over and throw on the airhawk.

AirHawks are nice because they're user adjustable by changing the amount of air. Put some in or let out depending on personal preference. They make cushions sized for pillion as well. Just an idea. Try sourcing a stock seat and pillion airhawk cushion. The air cell cushions were originally developed for wheel chair users.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I rode a Corbin seat borrowed from a friend on my '99 Kawasaki Concours. I hated it. The 2X6" chunk of wood covered with vinyl is a decent description as far as comfort goes. It also transmitted vibration to my "private" parts and my penis was asleep after about 50 miles. That was a sensation I'd never had before and hope never to have again! Plus it was very heavy and I could feel that in the twisties.

I next tried a Rick Mayer custom and it was better than the Corbin, but nowhere near great. In addition, he had major customer service issues. He missed the delivery date by four weeks and didn't answer emails or phone calls, plus he got mad at me and hollered at me on the phone after I called information and got his home address. At that point I'd left about 20 voice mail messages on his work phone (all on calls during the time he said that he answered phone calls!). When I finally got the saddle, my wife and I rode it for about a month and sent it back for a re-do. Again, he kept it for at least a month past the time he promised to have it back and it still didn't work very well.

I finally broke down and bought a Russell Day-Long. Now I've had two of those, one on my Connie(s) that I rode for about 150,000 miles and the one on my NT that has about 120,000 miles on it. I've done one 1500 mile day, and the 80-day, 21,000-mile Epic Ride, plus all my other riding and have never had even a moment of discomfort.

The stock seat was better than my Concours saddle had been, but I would start to get numb after 300-400 miles in a day. I will say that that usually passed after an hour or so.

If you try a Russell, you'll never go back to anything else. Mine is my most important farkle followed closely by my Rostra electronic cruise control (that isn't working right now!).

Bike
2010 NT700V
Probably the best farkle I've ever bought. I don't see how 12 or more hour days would have been tolerable otherwise. It only needs the smallest amount of air to work, take it with you and put it on any ride.

OP
OP
BackwaterFowler
Wood covered with vinyl is exactly how I would explain it. I don’t know if Corbin just didn’t put much effort into this seat based on the less than mainstream popularity of this bike or what but every other bike with a Corbin I have been on I loved.

Unless of course someone wants to buy this seat from me then IT IS FANTASTIC! 😬

OP
OP
BackwaterFowler
Wow thanks for the superb information on the seat. All of you, really. I really want to stick around as an NT owner because I really do love this silly thing. I come from an extensive ‘70s-‘80s CB/KZ background and this is definitely the newest bike I’ve owned and probably the newest vehicle I’ve owned period. That scares me a little bit in reading through the miles and love y’all have for them really gives me the confidence to keep it.

Top Bottom