Self Made vs pre-built wiring harness for LED Lights

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Was trying to add LED pods on the front forks (like Phil' NT) to my GS and the pre-built l wiring harness is very heavy duty and cumbersome (thick wire, big relays etc.).

How many have built their own wiring for LED pods… simple 18 AWG wire, with proper rated fuse and a waterproof auto switch (no relay), right insulation and installation.

LEDs use less than 5A so why do I need a relay OR such heavy-duty wire … The LED pods pair I have uses <3A …

Thoughts? Inputs? Ifs and buts… risks … gotchas ... best practices ...

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I added Denali lights to my NT and now my Versys. The NT worked well with the layout I used (mounted under tip over wings).
On the Versys I installed them under the front cowling and above the fender. Power is supplied up front under the cowling so that made the pre-wired harness too long. I tried shortening it up but really was still too cumbersome to fit that fairly small area up front. I ended up ordering connectors and redoing the harness to fit. It is much better.
Sometimes it needs to be built to fit. Other times it may not be needed.

Brad

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Inspired by @Phil Tarman' Triangle of light (more like pentagon for the GS) ..each set of LED POD can individually switched. The lower pods are dual color (yellow only, mix of white+yellow)

The pre-built harness is a mess due to volume (quality wise its good, 14AWG wire, dual relays) , so I am going to modify it and drive both LEDs from a single Relay. Will remove 1 Relay and its wire. And cut the other wire to size ...

NT is next :)

20210918_142350.jpg20210918_142350.jpg20210918_204646.jpg20210918_204706.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom