[Review] Sena SHM10

Nicole

I received a Sena SHM10 headset this week.

Installing was rather easy. The set comes with a "clip" helmet mount and I felt better about installing by undoing the screws holding it to the base/receiver. Then you slide the controller unit and snap it into place on the base and your ready to go. It takes a lot of on and off to get the speakers in the right places and after riding a short way this morning found out I didn't quite have it right yet. But it'll get there.

Controls are limited to 1 button and 1 radial dial. The radial dial also functions as a button.

Use is simple, but effective. I don't know if it can store how to talk to the phone and gps at the same time. I can get my phone or my gps to talk to it, but one would think that there is some way to get both on there so that one can toggle between the two devices just like one can toggle through talking to different riders ...

Sound is good and clear. I can now use ear plugs, which should make a really long run less deafening and thus less stressful, which hopefully will lead to longer riding, but time will tell.

Well that is my two cents.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I also just received my Sena SHM10 I was able to pair the phone to the Zumo 550 and then the Zumo 550 to the Sena. Seems to work OK. Some time the Sena and the Zumo take a while to hook up to each other. The key is NOT to pair the phone to the Sena. Let it work thru the Zumo. In my research I found that the 660 works the same way. Here is a u-tube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcHP1HGfeJk

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Nicole, chuck,

I am looking at this exact system. Knowing what you know now, would you all buy the SMH-10 again?
Thanks for the reviews and links.
I will let you know in July after I get back from my trip with it. So far I don't have any complants with it for the cost. Need to see if it does a good bike to bike.

taldric

I have had the SMH10 since last year. It is a terrific device! They have been regularly updating the firmware as well. They have added a four way group communication in the latest version. Since the original version I bought last year only allowed one-to-one communication it is pretty amazing that they added three-way comms, and now four way. You can also now do a two SMH10 voice comms and talk on the phone at the same time!

I only pair the Sena with my iPhone (which provides GPS, music, and phone), so I can't comment on the pairing issues you are having. But I do use it almost every day, and I have voice comms linked to two different other units (one is my wife's and the other is to my riding buddy). I did finally buy the alternate mount that allows me to use my own headphones.

OP
OP

Nicole

Scooterdoc,

I haven't got much time with the system, but I would buy it again.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I bought the Sena SMH10 last fall for a trip to Mt. Rushmore with a buddy. Easy to use, and it paired fine with my phone and Zumo 550. They worked great the whole time. I was impressed with the clarity and volume, and bike-to-bike worked very well, up to at least a half mile or more, and we were rarely farther apart than that. We found the push-to-talk mode worked better than VOX, though. I would definitely buy again.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Pros and cons. I have the SMH10 and the Scala Q2 (their older version).

The SMH10 has great controls, good volume and the intercom works well, at least switching it on as I haven't tried the VOX. If you have an open face helmet then beware that wind noise can distort your voice.

The Scala has a great volume control that adjusts automatically to ambient noise, ie, the faster you go the more volume it adds. It also comes with a built in FM radio, which is nice during my commute. The mike on this one is also sensitive to the wind noise of an open face helmet. The only drawback to the Scala is the volume is not as high.

Both work well without ear plugs. If you use ear plugs then I'd vote for the SMH10. Neither delivers what I would consider quality music sound. IMHO, you just won't get that quality with built in headsets due to the overwhelming wind noise.

taldric

Yeah - I don't use the VOX setting, just the push-on/push-off.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I bought the Sena SHM 05 which cost around $100 each. I've had really good luck with it so far. With my windshield up I can take calls and listen to music up to about 70 MPH without a problem. Friends tell me they can't tell I'm on the bike when talking to me. I have a friend with a 10. Works pretty well when riding together for intercom or phone if we get out of range. Using my iPhone gives me GPS (sound only since I keep it in my pocket) music and phone. If the music volume comes down I know that I'm receiving a call or GPS directions. The unit power does seem to last a long time but drains the battery in my phone when using the GPS so added a powerlet for my phone.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
What're you seeing for battery life? My J&M is pretty good (but I'm thinking of switching to Sena for intercom purposes), chatterbox really limited in battery life.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My brother and I spend about 12 hr riding time in a day, with the intercoms on and active the entire time. Have never run out of battery unless I forgot to charge it overnight :)

FWIW, takes over 4 hr to recharge it.

We both like ours. On our trips we skip the VOX and just leave the mics active all the time. That means we can also warn each other about road hazards without the VOX delay. A phone call rings through and you can choose to answer it or not. GPS instructions from my phone will not go through (the phone treats those as a form of music, so not important enough to over ride).

I still have not ridden in a hard rain with mine. All day fog, but, not rain.

rcase13

On our trips we skip the VOX and just leave the mics active all the time. That means we can also warn each other about road hazards without the VOX delay. A phone call rings through and you can choose to answer it or not. GPS instructions from my phone will not go through (the phone treats those as a form of music, so not important enough to over ride).
I have noticed the same thing. I wish there was a way to change the priority. My riding buddy likes to have the intercom on all the time as well. The longest we have ridden was 8hrs like that and the batteries were fine. I can barely see the NAV screen so we frequently miss turns!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It's not the priority of the intercom, it's the phone software.

The GPS software on the phone should output voice commands on the phone circuit, not the music circuit. Then it would override the intercom. The intercom sees it now as music so not important.

rcase13

It's not the priority of the intercom, it's the phone software.

The GPS software on the phone should output voice commands on the phone circuit, not the music circuit. Then it would override the intercom. The intercom sees it now as music so not important.
I was refering to my actual Garmin GPS but that answers my next question. I was going to try using the phone for NAV instead of the Bluetooth Garmin NAV.

It really is a bummer they won't let us change this. Other than that it's a very good setup. I know everyone raves about the speakers but I do wish they were a little better.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Sorry, didn't realize you were talking the GPS unit. In that case I am surprised it does not over ride the intercom. Maybe a call or note to Sena. I have upgraded my software twice so maybe it is something they can include in the next update.

The speakers are not that great, but, the volume is. You can get better speakers but will pay for them. I have thought about adapting a set from some good headphones. But, most of the time the wind noise is bad enough to swamp any speaker.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Just got a pair of these and so far have just installed it in my flip-open. I had a Chatterbox unit made for this helmet but was not happy with it and pulled it out. Battery life is poor and it didn't work well with my phone, with or without my GPS in the loop.

So far the Sena is way superior in operation. I use my Zumo 660 to mediate phone calls and it works great. The Sena does take a long time to recharge, but I attribute it to the fact that the battery life is apparently superior to even my J&M mounted on my full-face. It does make for a bulky unit, though.

One curiosity: In the manual it states that you should keep the battery temperature between 15C and 25C (59F to 77F). Of course, one has to ignore this, as there is no place on the Earth's surface where you can find such conditions on any but the rarest days.

Top Bottom