Sena SMH-10

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am seldom bored on a bike but at times I use ear buds and the jack out of my cell phone and listen to music....
"Lost an alone on some forgotten highway....traveled by many, remembered by few" John Denver
Anyway, Frosty has a SMH-010 which looks very cool and doesn't cost much. I have an open faced helmet with a flip down shield which I leave up most of the time.
I could flip it down to listen to music if I had to and to talk and I think this device has a PTT switch as I don't like VOX switches and Frosty has no desire to hear me sing anyway (a wise man)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwpc5uCef58

Does anyone here listen to music on their SMH-10 with an open faced helmet? What is the sound level.... adequate?

Chris who has never paired anything but can probably figure it out....

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, I have had one for a few years and used it on a 3/4 helmet that has a face shield. This all depends on what you mean by listening to music. If you want music like earbuds in your living room, then no. The wind noise muffles a lot of the tones. You can hear it enough to recognize most of it. Bagpipe music is the most clear :) and gentle ballads are the least clear. Figure that whatever tones are near those of wind noise will be the most difficult to hear.

With my full face the volume is more than sufficient for music.

To compare. Turn on the radio in your car to a comfortable level. Then roll down the window on the interstate. That's about what you'll experience with the helmet. Yeah, you can turn the radio up, but, your hearing will suffer.

And, yes, you can hear the music with earplugs in, but, again, the music will be muffled like everything else.

Having said all that....I use earplugs and listen to music a lot. I just accept that I won't hear some tones due to the plugs and the wind noise.

The other nice thing is being able to talk to riding partners. My brother and I use the bluetooth intercomm function on our trips and it is like talking to a person in a car with you. But....in high wind you'll pick up the extra noise and it will be harder to understand the other person.

Supposedly the latest software update made it so the Sena can communicate with other brands of headsets. I have not tried it but if true that's a huge leap forward.

Last, if I were to buy one today I would get the UClear. The 'cheek' microphone is a great feature and worth the extra. But, if you need to communicate with another brand headset I would check that before buying. And all the brands seem to have the same volume capability. I think they are limited by hearing damage levels (yes, they are that loud).

Almost forgot. This is all based on playing music over the bluetooth connection. If you use the wired connection to something like an iPod then you will need an additional amplifier. For some reason the headset makers do not route the wired input through the headset amplifiers. And iPod/MP3 players do not have much output power.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I used one today w/full face helmet and earplugs and the missive was surprisingly loud. It was playing mp3s I had on the phone. I need to see how it does w/zumo but I sure do like not messing around with wires.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I don't listen to music when I ride. I also wear a modular helmet (Nolan). Ever since I had a stone kicked up bu a truck in front of me hit me in my vizor, the vizor has always been down. The stone actually cracked the visor. I suspect that if it hit me in the face, I would have been a goner,

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have the SMH-5 which is cheaper and communicates well with my friends that have the 10. I always use a modular helmet and usually have the windscreen on my NT up. Mine wouldn't be loud enough for a 3/4 helmet I'd think. Ear plugs do seem to help with blocking the wind noise and letting me hear music better. The new software is supposed to make it possible to share music with another user.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
UClear is also stating that with their new software update, that they too can connect to all of the other headsets out there.
That would make it the first headset communicator I've seriously considered.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That's what Sena says too. They must have all finally agreed on a comm format for bluetooth.

Now, if someone will try it and see if it works :)

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks to all....very interesting....has anyone experienced both the UClear and the Sena? Looks like I have some reading to do....two big buttons of the UClear would be easier to use, but then I haven't used either.
Where is a magazine compare when you need one?
Good to know they have more power to the speakers than my phone or MP3 player....sometimes I used a small amp but I want to get away from the wire thing all together....

chiming in a bit. I have little to no need to communicate with others when riding as I'm generally solo. So, I have my iPod with ear buds and put on a full face helmet and the sound is as good as listening in my living room, if not better. You may wish to think about how much you communicate with others while riding and how much you listen to music.

Terry

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Alex, what you say is very correct as far as safety is concerned....nothing beats a full faced helmet for diverting B29 bugs, gravel, and yellow jackets...and my eye glasses may or may not stop something that makes it past my wind screen....and yet, I could never get used to the full faced helmet I had...cant explain it but it really took away from the experience of riding a bike. I do have a compromise helmet...a Bilt Pilot with a flip down sun screen and a flip down clear screen...you can use either or both at once and the sun screen is slightly smaller than the clear screen but it would protect ones eyes some from the one in a million rock....but a full faced screen is always best for safety.
http://www.amazon.com/BILT-Pilot-Open-Face-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B0089GB6F0
The Bilt it wouldn't be a helmet to have if it were raining hard on a tour.....even with a balaclava. But its a neat helmet.
I don't listen to music when I ride. I also wear a modular helmet (Nolan). Ever since I had a stone kicked up bu a truck in front of me hit me in my vizor, the vizor has always been down. The stone actually cracked the visor. I suspect that if it hit me in the face, I would have been a goner,

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Like you, I see little need to communicate with others as I ride, although it would be handy at times, ...and I get about one cell phone call a day when I am away from home.....but a cell phone is a great thing to have, even though I use it but little....and maybe this device would be useful too. "Hey Frosty, look at all those deer ahead by the side of the road...."

chiming in a bit. I have little to no need to communicate with others when riding as I'm generally solo. So, I have my iPod with ear buds and put on a full face helmet and the sound is as good as listening in my living room, if not better. You may wish to think about how much you communicate with others while riding and how much you listen to music.

Terry

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
On the other side....

I do take some phone calls on the bike. If I need to talk for more than a minute I pull over. Part of the job. I frequently cannot wait and call people back after an hour on the road. Having the helmet wired means I don't have to stop, take helmet off, find phone, make phone call, put helmet back on, get back on the road.

Yes, good wired earbuds are best for music. I just don't want wires and am willing to sacrifice the sound quality.

I do use it for communicating when I ride with my brother on trips.

The UClear would remove the "last" wire from the setup, ie, no microphone to fit in the helmet somewhere (or fool around with a boom mike).

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have the smh10 paired to my zumo and phone to my zumo and can listed to the mp3s on my zumo. I can get or make a call which is convenient. It's nice to not have to take off your helmet to make a quick call if you are pulled over but just as convenient to do it on the bike. I really like that I can get spoken navigation commands from my zumo without looking at it, very useful when in a crowded area I'm unfamiliar with. I know my exit number and how far away it is and my eyes are on the road and traffic, not looking at a screen trying to figure out where to turn.

It is very nice that I can pretty much hop on any bike and pair my phone to smh10 and get music and I don't have to deal with the crazy amount of wires I was using for the j&m cb and accessory harnesses.

Chris, I purchased the UClear HBC 100 (a discontinued model) when it was on close out at a deeply discounted price. However, the new software update will not work on my old model. The new model is the HBC 100 Plus. I have been very pleased with the HBC100. My old helmet was a 3/4 Bell Mag 9 with a Scala Rider with boom mike. It also was a good combination but I never use it anymore as I'm in love with my Shark Evoline and UClear headset. I often take phone calls while commuting (secondary roads at 45mph) with no issues. I also use it for both music and voice directions from my iPhone gps. It's all good. However, I just purchased a Garmin 2797 GPS and am hoping to have it hooked up and running by the time I leave for the TNT meet up. Wendell

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FWIW, I also had a Scala before I got the Sena. From what I can tell all of them have about the same volume, bluetooth capability and clarity. Differences are in the controls.

If you find older models for cheap, make sure they can accept firmware updates. VERY important.

I like the big volume knob on the Sena. But, I'd rather have the UClear so don't have to mess with separate microphones.

Some (all?) of the Scala's come with an FM radio in the headset. I really liked that around town. Yes, you can get radio through the phone, but, it eats up your data allowance.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, there is also a 200 model now . Do these units have PTT for helmet to helmet comm. or are you married to VOX? The cell phone part is least critical of all. Like Banjoboy, I would rather not take any calls while riding and I certainly don't want to make any. But sometimes, things happen where you want to stay in touch. We are so spoiled now. I remember steam trains and when all phones had cords.

Chris, I purchased the UClear HBC 100 (a discontinued model) when it was on close out at a deeply discounted price. However, the new software update will not work on my old model. The new model is the HBC 100 Plus. I have been very pleased with the HBC100. My old helmet was a 3/4 Bell Mag 9 with a Scala Rider with boom mike. It also was a good combination but I never use it anymore as I'm in love with my Shark Evoline and UClear headset. I often take phone calls while commuting (secondary roads at 45mph) with no issues. I also use it for both music and voice directions from my iPhone gps. It's all good. However, I just purchased a Garmin 2797 GPS and am hoping to have it hooked up and running by the time I leave for the TNT meet up. Wendell

Top Bottom