Service today and interestting result with the valves

I had my NT serviced today. I didn't have the valves checked at 600 miles. I had oil change with filter and the valves checked and set today. I was at 5200 miles for this service. Three of the four valves were spot on, no chance. One valve was at .001 of the spec. Not too bad. I am wondering if it is 'safe' to let the valve check go for 12,000 or so miles, if not longer. I'm hoping Katherine chimes in on this as I think she's te mechancial guru of the brunch. I had the spark plugs changed at this time also as it seems such a chore to get to the cylinders and if I plan on waiting a longer period between valve checks, it seemed prudent to put in two new plugs. Any thoughts out there?

Terry

elizilla

I don't know that I'm such a guru as all that. More like, I make the mistakes first. Back when I was a new rider, I did a valve adjustment and didn't get the screw adjustor tightened down enough. It came off in the engine and stranded me 500 miles from home. Don't follow that example please! :)

As for the NT, mine were all in spec when I checked them, and were still in spec when I checked them the second time. I did the first check at 600 miles, and the second check at just over 14K. So I already lengthened the interval and will likely lengthen it further in the future. If I'd had any out of spec, and adjusted them, I might do it again sooner, though.

12.5k and I haven't pulled the cover to look at the valves yet. This after the European members suggested that they would go 25k easily. We shall see.

Lorien

bicyclist

Based on anecdotal evidence from the Europeans, these bikes seem to go long distances without requiring adjustment. However, that doesn't mean that the initial check should be let go. If, for some reason, the valves were not set correctly to begin with, one could have problems.

I did the initial check at 600 mi. Now that I'm satisfied that clearances are correct, I'll check again at the next service interval and then stretch out the checks.

OP
OP
banjoboy
Thanks for the thoughts. I think now that I know they are set to spec, I'll probably go a longer time before having them checked again. Katherine, I think you got Avon Storm 2 for your NT. I was surprised when the tech said I was a 3/32 of an inch and at 2/32 he'd suggest replacing the tires. 5500 miles seems a short time. I know Phil has a Metzler on the back tire and goes a long distance. How are your Avon's doing and would you do it again.

Terry

elizilla

I have the Storm Ultra IIs. They have almost 6000 miles and they're at 7/32".

Note I usually get more than average mileage from my tires - I never win those campfire bragging contests where people compare their abilities to shred their tires. :)

OP
OP
banjoboy
I'm an old guy (64) and do very little to shred tires. I do practice figure 8s and tight circles often at the local grade school parking lot on Sundays and ride mountain roads fairly often, but still, I would have thought I would have gotten more mileage. I like that you're at 7/32 after 6000 miles, clearly a good recommendation. Thanks.

Terry

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree with Paul. I worked on "old" motorcycles in the past and checked the valves in the first 3000 miles or so to see if they were in spec. After that point, you can let that service go a long time. I guess the only complicated thing about the NT is getting the Tupperware off without damaging it.

Top Bottom