Shake when slowing down

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Is the oscillation only when decelerating through that speed window? What if you maintain 30-35mph? Does it oscillate then?

Sounds like a decel oscillation to me and is most likely the tires (front OR back). The tightness of the steering head bearing will have an impact as to how "sensitive" the bike is to exhibiting this behavior.

I have kept the tire properly inflated.

I have had a lot of bikes, maybe I have been lucky, but not since the early days of mediocre frames etc have I felt any shake to speak of.

This is noticeable with light pressure and of course if I take my hands off it's worse, but it also is only in a very small window (speed), and again the bike is perfect at speed.

After everything I have read about these tires, I would not be surprised if they are already cupping.

I'm tempted to change the tire, it will only cost around 150 to do that and it's not the best diagnostic, but I'd be getting an improved tire anyhow so that's what I'm thinking right now.

OP
OP

loonytuna

Yes, it's only that window, otherwise it's perfect.

elizilla

To check the front tire: Run your hands over it and see if there's any scalloping. You are more likely than most to get the scalloping early, because FL has so many flat straight roads. The less often you get your lean on, the more likely the tires are to cup.

To check the steering bearings: Put the bike on the centerstand. Get a heavyweight friend to stand behind the tail of the bike, rest their elbows on the topcase rack (or if your bike is stock, have them put their elbows on the two screws that hold the black plastic down) and rest their weight on the tail of the bike. This should lift the front wheel off the ground. It's actually pretty stable like this, don't worry. Now, since you're having a friend push it down, you are free to grab hold of the front wheel, turn it back and forth and shake it, see if the steering head feels notchy or loose.

While I am thniking about it this could also be a balance problem. Honda usually gets it right from the factory but not always.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I bought my bike "New" (it was a demo, so I'm the 1st registered owner) with 1600 miles on it. That was the end of Jan '12. Now in the beginning of May '12 I have just over 6k miles. Tires seem to be in good shape, and I'm thought I was pretty good about keeping the tire pressure as close to specs. as possible. Today when I checked both tires were 5-7 psi off...:mad1:
I've just started to notice this shaking at approx. the same speeds you've mentioned. However, this only happens to me when I'm doing the "Look Ma, no hands". I'm thinking it was due to the low tire pressure...

elizilla

Or tire wear. My original front tire cupped badly when it still had lots of tread left.

Top Bottom