Shifting noise

jackgermain

Grinding when shifting from 1st into 2nd gear. It doesn't happen all the time, no rhyme or reason to it. Cold, hot, different speeds have not proven to identify the problem. Dropped the oil at 4K miles and went with synthetic oil - no difference. I've tried shifting the gears a little slower, a little faster - no change. Yes the clutch is adjusted perfectly. Your thoughts please. Thanks.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
If it is happening only when moving the shifter for 1st to 2nd and the noise doesn't continue once in gear AND you aren't having issues with the transmission dropping out of 1st or 2nd, I wouldn't worry about it. If it begins to make noises while in gear, then I'd take notice.

Of all my motorcycles, the Honda's have had the nosiest/clunkiest transmissions.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You probably already do this, but if not, try it: Preload the shift lever before you pull in the clutch and back (slightly) off the throttle.

I get smoother shifts that way.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
That's funny. As much as some of us did not like the review of the NT in MCN the one thing they really liked was its smooth shifting.

Bike
2011 NT700v
I've never had a Honda motorcycle transmission apart but on my S2000, that's a sign of a bad synchro.

fltsfshr

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Somedays the shifts are as smooth as anything and other days they are just clunky!

I know it has something to do with my shifting technique but I have not yet worked it out.

I have had this problem on nearly all the Hondas I have owned but I never did on my Vstrom!

I agree with others that this is a Honda quirk or "design feature"

It has never caused a problem on any bike I have owned though

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The Ducs with the dry clutch sound like they are about to explode. The sound is especially bad when the clutch lever is pulled in. :eek1:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I think mine is really smooth. I didn't quite appreciate just how nice it was until I bought the DR650. I use the DR650 for short trips and around town much more often. So I will usually ride the DR for 2-3 days and feel like I am neglecting the NT. I always find myself thinking "wow this bike shifts nice" when I first get back on the NT. It is that much better. I guess after the DR an occasional NT clunk that you sometimes get going into first doesn't seem that bad. The DR clunks are much more consistent and louder. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Like Sam says, I don't think we've heard of any transmission problems on either of the NT Forums. I spent quite a bit of time on the Deauville Forum from the UK and don't remember any being mentioned on that forum either.

I've always had that grinding sound between 1st and 2nd on every Honda that I've owned. I the only time that I don't hear the sound is when I accelerate at a "leisurely" pace. It's not really a problem, my Magna is over 20 years old and has never let me down once.

This happens to me on occasion. I am convinced that I have not put enough firm pressure on the lever just before I shift-this is the preload that Mr. Tarman has mentioned. Sometimes you simple can't do it because of road irregularities, or you change your body position as you shift, or your foot slips slightly on the peg, etc. Not a big worry as long as the rpm is on the slow side. Not desirable when you have a lot of revs going. But as many have said the NT tranny is pretty good.

Top Bottom