Shining up the NT

I have tried just about everything there is out there and nothing has worked for me. All of the black plastic is in various stages of gray. My bike is outdoors all the time so that does not help. I will probably resort to using the Krylon paint for plastic when I get a chance.

Okay - time to resurrect an old thread.

Like many of you, I'd rather ride than polish. That really applies to the front wheel - I wash it, but don't obsess over the bit of grime that doesn't come off. I use Plexus on the windscreen and a little protectant on the vinyl seat. Haven't waxed the tank or other silver Tupperware parts yet,

However - as has happened with many of you, some of the black plastic is starting to fade and/or turn grey. The two front pocket doors in particular. My bike sits inside a roofed enclosure, but the late afternoon sun is doing a job on the rear fender.

I don't want to go to Plasti-dip route - - yet. Maybe someday, but I'd rather try something else to try to keep restore the black plastic.

Ideas?

I understand the apprehension in not wanting to paint the back fender. I didn't even do that piece with plastidip. I only plastidip the pieces I could easily remove. Luckily for me those are also the ones that needed the most help. I tried 303? Aerospace Protectant 32oz and it actually made a difference but was temporary. Also, it appears to work best on plastics that have not already been ravaged by uv rays. It seems to protect better than it re-furbishes. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news my experiences are the same as Warren and once the sun dries certain pieces out it might be too late.

The good news about the plasti-dip route is that it is not permanent. It is opaque enough to look factory, and thick enough to block all UV, but is still removable. It is also easier to remove from tail-lights and other areas that if you get a bit of overspray. If you do the prep work some good krylon or plastidip would be about the same amount of work. I even purchased the krylon before I bought the plasti-dip. I like how easy it is to correct for mistakes with plastidip. Get the krylon someplace you don't like it and it might look bad and be hard to remove.

Now that I have plasti-dipped the easy to remove parts i am actually thinking about doing the rear fender. it didn't look very bad before, but now that the other pieces look like they should the grey stands out a bit. I am thinking that if I take off the lids, remove the license plate it should be very straightforward to apply to the rear fender.

Carzy as it sounds, i tried the aforementioned Lemon Pledge...Works good on the paint and the Cee Bailey! Not too sure about the black parts

Okay - time to resurrect an old thread.

Like many of you, I'd rather ride than polish. That really applies to the front wheel - I wash it, but don't obsess over the bit of grime that doesn't come off. I use Plexus on the windscreen and a little protectant on the vinyl seat. Haven't waxed the tank or other silver Tupperware parts yet,

However - as has happened with many of you, some of the black plastic is starting to fade and/or turn grey. The two front pocket doors in particular. My bike sits inside a roofed enclosure, but the late afternoon sun is doing a job on the rear fender.

I don't want to go to Plasti-dip route - - yet. Maybe someday, but I'd rather try something else to try to keep restore the black plastic.

Ideas?
I have posted this before, I read about this black stuff at Advrider, bought some, and have only limited use to date, but it looks promising.
It's a coverup paint/die type product.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FIU54BW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I like that it's bushed on, so I can tape around the metal/painted plastic bits and just bush it on.
:)

Back
Top Bottom