Shoei GT-Air

luvmynt

Hi guys, I just purchased the Shoei GT-Air and was disappointed with wind noise. It seems that the helmets like to be in the 3/4 position. There is lot of wind noise in the upright position. Anyone have any experience with the GT-Air?

I am looking for the quietest possible helmet out there. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Ear plugs just don't do much for me and wind noise. They do knock it down a little, but, the annoying 'thrum' is still there. Since I put the larger windshield on the Honda (and the new fairing on the Guzzi) I just don't wear ear plugs since the shield blocks the wind noise from the helmet.

OP
OP

luvmynt

By upright I mean the seating position on the bike with visor closed. I always wear ear plugs. It seems the Shoei GT-Air is more noisy than my Scorpion EXO-900. I thought paying more for a Shoei should get me more quite helmet. I will have to try Schuberth brand.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I know this sounds silly but try moving the lid on your head a bit. Mine is much quieter if i just pull the chin bar down a little sometime. Little changes can make a big difference in airflow.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I think my Arai XD-4 is quiet. Some might not like the looks as it is marketed towards the "adventure" crowd. I love the visor on early morning commutes since I can tilt my head down to block the horizon sun. It is also quite cool since it has amazing air flow.

On long trips I still use ear plugs. I tried several kinds of foam ear plugs and not only did they hurt my ear canal, but if you didn't get them in right they would touch the helmet and make it worse by channeling the wind noise. Finally, I tried these blue ones that are made from lanolin and beeswax. Instead of inserting them into the canal like the foam ones you kind of "cap" your ear canal with this ball. I bought a dozen of them last March and am still using the first pair so I find them more durable than the foam ones too. They are much more comfortable too.

They have a special of 24 pairs for 84 bucks. I already have plenty, but maybe someone can organize some kind of group buy and ship them out.

http://earplugsonline.com/bvp.html

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have quieted down a few noisy helmets by adding narrow felt strips around the visor to help seal it. I use the thin, black, self adhesive felt you can buy at Ace Hardware and cut it into 1/8 inch strips and then go around the inside of the visor at the edge. This also helps keep water from running down the inside of the visor....one of my pet peeves.

I have a Shoei Quest and RF-1100 and both are fairly quiet with the visor all the way down. But I wear ear plugs, and have impaired hearing anyway, so I may not hear as much wind racket.....

Bike
2010 Red NT700
my helmet makes more noise with the visor closed than when open; and even with earplugs the wind makes me crazy

rcase13

I have the Shoei Qwest that was specifically designed for upright riding positions.I highly recommend the helmet but it's no miracle worker. Nothing beats ear plugs. If they are too long just cut them down that is what I have been doing.

Top Bottom