Shoot the damned groundhog!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Here it is, mid-March in Missouri and the chance of snow is forecast for the entire next week! Usually, we have dyatime temps in the 50's - 70's and morning temps in the low 40's..... but this year? Nooooooooo! Poor old Jeff was contemplating a Route 66 trip but now it seems he's headed south to avoid our Wisconsin like weather. Nutz, I say nutz! I'm headed out the door with the shotgun and gonna find me that damned groundhog!

Mike
(who likes global warming)

tawilke46

Prediction was for an early spring!
Spring starts tomorrow, soooooooooooooo looks like, for some anyway, spring may be a little late.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Winter seems to be back with a vengeance. The only thing I can do with my NT is to polish it. Doc says that I can ride in five weeks. I can at least start work on my Cafe Racer and the four bicycles I am behind on. I am allowed to ride my bicycle--still can't drive the Vibe. The Suburban is fine, except that it costs $200 to fill the tank (Diesel). I suspect that by tomorrow morning the Suburban will be buried under a mountain of snow.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
yeah, spring tomorrow and just got a foot or more dumped on us today. grr!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
[QUOTE Poor old Jeff was contemplating a Route 66 trip but now it seems he's headed south to avoid our Wisconsin like weather. Nutz, I say nutz! I'm headed out the door with the shotgun and gonna find me that damned groundhog!

Mike
(who likes global warming)[/QUOTE]

I was just (again) looking at the forecasts and it seems no matter what route I take heading west later this week I will encounter possible snow with lows in the low 20's. This early Spring storm and that lying little groundhog shall not deter me! I-40 here I come. Possible snow and rain here Thursday morning, but Friday morning should be free of precipitation, just cold.
Btw, Rick and Phil, I love reading your posts about your upcoming epic trip. But, I must admit, reading them makes me feel like a bit of a whimp for altering my route for the possibility of a little snow and freezing rain. I will complete a trip like you guys have planned if I ever get to retirement. Until then, I'll continue to read your posts and can't wait to read your ride reports during the trip.
For now, my little 4000 mile, one week, altered-by-weather, random, meandering trip to somewhere will have to suffice.

2 days and counting...
Jeff
(who will hunt and humanely capture the lying groundhog)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I must admit, reading them makes me feel like a bit of a whimp for altering my route for the possibility of a little snow and freezing rain
Jeff, one of the "features" of the Epic Ride is that we won't be on any iron-clad schedule. The possibility of snow and freezing rain will see us holed-up in a motel!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Jeff, one of the "features" of the Epic Ride is that we won't be on any iron-clad schedule. The possibility of snow and freezing rain will see us holed-up in a motel!
Haha. Phil, I see by your signature map that you have not ridden the NE US yet. You are in for a treat! The White Mountains of NH, for me, still stand as the most beautiful place on earth as witnessed from the seat of a motorcycle. Granted, I have ridden very few points on earth, but you are certainly in for a great experience, assuming you will ride the area on your epic trip.

--Jeff

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Jeff, I'm planning on scooting north to North Dakota during NT/STOC at Spearfish. Then I'll get Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida on our way to Key West. We'll get most of NE on our way to Madawaska, but any thing we don't have time to get on our way, we'll be seeing on our way back down. I'm really looking forward to New England!

slider

Jeff, I'm planning on scooting north to North Dakota during NT/STOC at Spearfish. Then I'll get Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida on our way to Key West. We'll get most of NE on our way to Madawaska, but any thing we don't have time to get on our way, we'll be seeing on our way back down. I'm really looking forward to New England!
As soon as you pass exit 8 of the Jersey Pike it becomes a different world. Drivers like you've never seen with an attitude to match. Many many nice folks but they apparently stay home more.

bicyclist

My best friend lives in Mass. I've made the run from Maryland too many times. I'd recommend finding a route that bypasses NJ and CT. At the very least, consult with some locals about ways to avoid the hefty east coast tolls.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Gasp! So, THAT's what happened!! You brought Iowa weather to Missouri! For shame!

:^)

Mike

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Paul, Love that poster ! Chuck, Looks just like Maine. That is about how much snow we have right now.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Lori,
You will like the Townie Electra. That Nexus Hub is bulletproof. Never had one in my shop for service since I opened in '06.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
We're finally getting snow here on Colorado's eastern plains, too! I don't think we've got quite as much as Chuck has. They had predicted up to 16" for us, but it looks more like 6-8" to me. We're grateful for the moisture, even it is going to impact attendance at our church's Easter drama. We had a close to a full house last night even thought quite a few decided not to risk travel to get to Fort Morgan.

Our Drama Ministry is in its 14th year and for the last seven or so, all of our productions have been written by our Drama Minister. We do a big Christmas and Easter drama each year, with elaborate sets and professional-level lighting and sound, involving up to 50 people on stage and another 25-30 tech people. One more performance tonight and then Palm Sunday, Holy Week and Easter. I had a funeral yesterday, two Wednesday, a meditation at the Holy Week Breakfast at our church on Tuesday, plus I'm doing two of the seven meditations at the Community Good Friday service.

And, on Thursday, I'm going to take the bike to Sun Honda to get new All Balls headset bearings (don't know why they're calle "All Balls" since they're tapered roller bearings), new fork seals and bushings, new front tire (at least -- I may break down and put the new rear PR3 on now insterad of after my trip to Texas at the end of April), and the Triumph fork gaitors put on.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
... and now, the NWS has issued a Winter Storm Warning!, forecasting 7-9" of white stuff starting tonite thru Sunday nite into Monday morning.... haruuumph! Durned Iowan's movin' to Missouri and lousin' up our weather....

;^)

Mike

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a Townie 21D to complement my Vision recumbent. I originally bought it to teach LAB bicycling classes so I would have a halfway "normal" bike without sacrificing all the comfort of the 'bent. It's turned out to be a great grab-and-go bike (no need to change clothes, just throw on a helmet and cycling sandals--sorry, I HAVE to have clipless pedals on one side!) and great for weekly grocery store trips. It's a lot flatter at the MO house, so I think the 8i will be just the ticket for gear range and reliability.
I have the same pedals on my touring bike and commuter (used to run errands in town) On my road bikes and time trial bike, I like LOOK pedals. I can't imagine riding without clipless pedals.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I agree with all this sentiment crying for an end to winter, but having a birthday on February second I find the title of this thread a little scary.

Top Bottom