Sidestand Foot Pad

tawilke46

I noticed several of the bikes at the Shed last weekend had foot pads under their sidestands with reminders tied to the bars.
I looked on the web for a good one. Most of them seem to be designed for BMW's.
There was a couple that looked like they would work. One was rubber. Not keen on a rubber one.

What are some of you using for a foot?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have a large plastic one that I got from Whitehorse gear. I assume you are referring to the seperate ones and not the kind that get bolted onto the existing foot pad.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I think it may have been Phil, not sure but someone on this site recommended using a 4x4 steel blank electrical box cover. Small, easy to store, cheap, and if you forget it you can get another one at any harware store with the change in your pocket.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't know if I was the one who recommended that or not, Rocky, but I can. I've got a 4" round junction box cover that I bought from a hardware store. The one I've got for the NT is plastic and one of these days I'll replace it with a good old galvanized metal cover.

If I can save up 69 cents anytime before I retire. :)

I've got about 5 feet of twine tied to it with a loop secured with a bowline (that's a knot, BTW) that I put over the clutch and handgrip to remind me to take it off and stow it in the right fairing pocket before I ride away.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Having ridden off leaving several of these things behind, it was a "duh" moment to see folks like Phil at our NT Rally with a string reminder tied to their clutch. I think the string also helps you to move it into proper position.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I think it may have been Phil, not sure but someone on this site recommended using a 4x4 steel blank electrical box cover. Small, easy to store, cheap, and if you forget it you can get another one at any harware store with the change in your pocket.
Thanks, that is a good idea. I was at Home Depot just yesterday.
Don't know why I did not think of something like that to start with!

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have a red plastic one that was a "freebie" they handed out when I took the BRC. Still have to make a lanyard for it though. I like Phil's junction box cover idea.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Mine is overkill, but, I don't forget it.

A small plastic cutting board, about 5x7, white, with a handle. It stores in the side case.

rcase13

I too have the uber expensive metal eletrical box cover. Two negatives though... It rattles around in the pannier and scratches the bottom of the pannier. I might paint it with a rubberized paint.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Now days I just set the Park Brake....:D Camping World sells small, round, hard plastic coasters that are about 3 1/2 inches in diameter, and a quarter inch thick, that should work well.... Drill a hole for a "dummy cord" and you'd be good to go....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Two negatives though... It rattles around in the pannier and scratches the bottom of the pannier.
If you store it in a fairing pocket there isn't enough room for it to rattle or scratch the bottom of the pocket.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
If you store it in a fairing pocket there isn't enough room for it to rattle or scratch the bottom of the pocket.
I have one of these covers stored in there, as well. But it's used to carry my ferry pass, providing a platform to hold it by magnet for quick zip through the toll booth.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I carry 2. One is a 4 inch square of 1/8 inch plywood scrap.
The other is 4 inch square of 1/4 inch aluminum deck plate someone at work cut several of.

By the way they changed the parking at work last week and I didn't use the pad. The new parking area asfault is softer and the NT and bike beside me left a deep divot in the lot. At least it didn't fall over.

Brad

subgenius

The metal cover to a glass jar (that spaghetti sauce came in); inside painted in land surveyor orange...when "engaged", outer side is in contact with the pavement. Cheap, effective, small enough to fit 2 into the fairing pockets and constant supply if I forget (haven't yet) to scoop it up before I take off.

Bike
choosing
Harley Davidson makes a good round unit like you described.
You can run right into Harley Baton Rouge and buy one right off
the rack. Mine is over ten years old. It is one of the "better"
things that has a Harley name on it.

Joe

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have the one from Whitehorse. It was a freebie at a motorcycle show. I put it in a ZipLoc and keep it in the tank bag. For a lanyard, I use a piece of nylon line with a plastic key fob on the end.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm not joking here... in a pinch, a coke can laid on its side works great, and if you leave it behind, you're not an idiot; just a litterbug!
I used to ride an '81 CBX that was so heavy I couldnt park using the sidestand on hot asphalt in the summer and Coke cans always worked back then

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is what I use. I have had it for 25 years. A peice of Medical Stainless Steel and a HOT PINK string. Works great and I can carry it in my tankbag or the glove box of the ST. used it up in Spearfish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom