[Review] Sidi Vertigo Air vented boots

elizilla

(posted from old forum)

I picked up a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs a couple of weeks ago to wear when it's just too hot to wear my waterproof boots.

The main body of the boot is made of a perforated material that feels like leather but I believe it is Lorica. They have a vent on the outside of the foot, that can be opened and closed for more or less airflow, and when it's open it's very noticeable. They have armor that screws on and is replaceable though I doubt I will grind it up like the knee-down guys do. They offer 5cm of calf adjustment so they can be worn with trouser legs tucked in or over top of the boot.

The inside of the boots fits smoothly and lets me flex my ankles without developing pressure points. The neutral point in the boots is with the knees bent a little, pretty close to my natural riding position. The soles are stiff, and do not fold around the footpeg. The soles grip the pavement reasonably well, too. So I'm very pleased with the construction.

The venting doesn't make me feel like air is rushing through the boots, the way I feel it with perf leathers. It's noticeable mainly in the way my feet don't get itchy from sweating in the boots on a hot day. It works pretty well.

I got caught out in the rain while wearing these boots, last week, and the water sluiced through them instantly, as I would have expected since they're not intended to be waterproof. They dry out quickly, with all those vents.

The boots are less bulky than my waterproof boots, and they're lighter. They feel more graceful and precise, as I point my toe to the shifter, or reach for the sidestand. They don't squeak.

I can't report on their durability yet, since I have only had them a couple of weeks.

RebelRanch

Those look really nice but at $300/pr they are a little pricey for my wallet. I'd love to have some but I gotta be a little careful right now.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Those look really nice but at $300/pr they are a little pricey for my wallet. I'd love to have some but I gotta be a little careful right now.
Understand, You have alot of Farkles to get for the Wee. I know. trying to balance the farkle funds between a couple of bikes and the repair and maint. funds between the other two is getting to be a real accounting job.

OP
OP

elizilla

We all have a limited gear budget. But if there's not much gear already in the closet, you make different choices than you do if you already have the basics and you're considering whether to upgrade something. I appreciate bargains just as much as the next rider, but at this point it's easier to sell me on features than on price. I already have enough not-quite-right gear.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Good gear makes riding more pleasurable. Learning from my own mistakes is a sign of a glimmer of intelligence. Learning from others mistakes is genius. I like reading these reviews and seeing how others think about what they have chosen.
Interested to see how they grow with you.

OP
OP

elizilla

I like these boots well enough that when the time comes to replace my waterproof boots I will likely get the matching waterproof Sidis. I've been perfectly happy with my current Teknic waterproof boots, but for almost the same price and similar feature set, I'd rather have the less squeaky and more graceful feeling Sidis. Even if they do have a more "ricky-racer" look to them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I tried on several different boots a few weeks ago at Apex in Colorado Springs. And after all of that, when I replace my five year old Oxtars, it'll be with their replacement boot from Motorcycle Gear.com: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/x_five_plus_gore_tex_boots.html

My feet have never been wet with these. They've never been too hot. They have been too cool, but that could bge fixed w/ heated socks or insoles. My only concern is that the only review they've got talks about different sizing. That probably won't be an issue since I had to put thick insoles in the Oxtars and it sounds like the TCX is a bit snugger. They're $239.95 and if they work as well as the Oxtars have, that would be a bargain.

RebelRanch

Thanks for the recommendation of White Horse Gear. I had forgot about them since I had not seen anything about them in a long time. I appreciate the reference. I also agree about quality gear enhancing the ride experience. I have completed the upgrades to my Wee and all that remains is apparel. I plan to start with pants and boots since we both have Tour Master coats that include the rain shell with textile under coat/armor. I would like to upgrade my coat next year because I have lost so much weight that it is hanging on me and I don't plan to go back "there" again. I'll be looking for some stouter boots as the summer passes. My plain leather Ariats will suffice for now, but as funds loosen, I want something that will inspire a little more confidence.

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
I've had the Sidi Vortice Air for a little over a year now and could not be any more happy with them. They offer more ankle protection than the vertigo, but I personally prefer the look of the vertigo better.

The venting doesn't make me feel like air is rushing through the boots, the way I feel it with perf leathers.
I'm surprised by this. I get so much air I forget I'm wearing any boots.

Yes, they are pretty expensive but quality foot protection comes second on my list right after keeping the ol' noggin protected. I've been on crutches once and never want to do it again.

Mine have held up excellent so far and surprisingly the white has stayed pretty white.

Top Bottom