Sinus Rhythm - A Twisties Adventure

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
If a picture is worth a thousand words ! Then I have a lot to say.

My good friend wvladyrider and I spent 9 days on the road through 7 states hitting every twisty road that we could find and still get to the location we wanted to be. Sometimes that route looked like a sinus rhythm on a heart monitor, but it was more fun than I had imagined. (The maps below just shows one day and most were like this)

wvladyrider was a bit nervous about some of the routes I had picked until she flowed through several without a problem. She was a bit stiff in the corners in the first couple days of our adventure however I could see the confidence grow as we hit every named twisty we could utilized in our quest. By the return trip, which included "The Snake, The Python, and Back of the Dragon", I never lost sight of her in my mirrors.

A few others in those 9 days inculded; Tail of the Dragon, Hellbender/Moonshiner 28, The Rattler, Cherohala Skyway, and many that were soo much fun they should and may have been named. It is awesome to plan a trip by putting a few dots on the map, picking a few roads that you want to include and then choosing on the fly which way you want to go.

Being flexible put us in a hotel the first night as the storms we had carefully dodged by using weather radar that afternoon, were closing in. Our first day of riding was a short day anyway starting as we got out of work and only riding 4 hrs. Our second day took us over some awesome back roads into NC where we spent the night at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Only Campground on Rt.276 near Cruso, NC. This place is awesome ! We met lots of nice folks there and enjoyed a great community campfire with thirty or more cyclists sitting around talking our favorite things, great roads to try.

Day three put us on the Blue Ridge Parkway with some great views, a stop in Cherokee to check out the town and a sweet end to our day with the ride through Nantahala Gorge and over to Robbinsville where we planned to spend four nights at Simple Life Campground and Cabins. Robbinsville is a great location to use as a hub for many great rides and we enjoyed every day.

While there we hit every twisty road we could find and on the day we left we made our way across the beautiful gorge / waterfalls section of Rt.64 / Rt.28 between Franklin and Highlands, NC. From there we rode east on 64 to just short of Brevard, NC where we rode Rt.215 up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and headed north on it to our stop for the night in the awesome Flintlock Campground just outside Boone, NC.

From Boone we enjoyed an exciting day of riding. This was the day we hit roads like US 321 (should be named) from Boone into Tennessee, then north to Mountain city TN where we picked up the Snake. Then up to Abingdon, VA where we headed east again across the Phython (Rt58) to Rt 16 that we took all the way to Tazewell VA, "Back of the Dragon".

On our final day it was back roads like Rt.19, Rt.16, and Rt.47 all the way up through the beautiful state of West Virginia to make our way home. These kind of adventures never seem to get old.

Hope all of you have many adventures to remember.

Many more great photos in the album if interested.
http://s105.photobucket.com/user/djphotos1/library/BlueRidge June 2015

Edit: Wow, just happened to see a typo and then when fixing it found many. Sorry for the difficult read. Have fixed them and made a note to self: Don't post when you lack sleep and are nodding off.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Great post DJ. You have such great roads down there. Hard to go wrong most anywhere down there.
And your photos were great too.
Thanks

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Like the others said: Great roads, great pictures, thanks for sharing! I've got to get back east one of these days!

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Love the pictures! Looks like great riding for sure!

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
One of the best roads I ridden, 16 is by far a road that gives you a great ride and traffic during the week is very light. I like your documentation of the ride too. I think the NT was made for roads like you journey.

OP
OP
WVRider

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
One of the best roads I ridden, 16 is by far a road that gives you a great ride and traffic during the week is very light.
Agree, Rt.16 is my favorite. I've actually been planning on doing a ride I've dubbed "Sweet 16" where I would start a few miles north of my home, where the Rt.16 I'm referring starts, at St. Mary's, WV and following it south all the way to where it becomes difficult to stay on two lane, around Lake Norman on the NW corner of Charlotte, NC. I have found in some places 16 is now routed onto a 4 lane however most of those still have the old two lane road still there. I would then plan my return trip on another similar two lane road that will get me back home. Will have to post when I decide to do this.

Top Bottom