Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway / Cherohala Skyway

KathyL

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
My husband and I live in Australia but are currently in the US for nine weeks visiting our daughter and her family who live in Durham, NC.

Last Sunday we completed a 2,675 mile, two week long driving trip during which we visited six states (NC, VA, TN, GA, AL and SC) and travelled the full length of Skyline Drive, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherohala Skyway (for part of which we were literally driving in the midst of about 30 Corvettes). We also travelled over Edinburg Gap (VA) and along 'The Snake' on US421 (in both directions) and 'The Dragon' on US129.

Even though we weren't riding motorcycles (the hire costs were prohibitive) we spoke to lots of motorcyclists along the way and really enjoyed seeing so many riders also enjoying the roads we were travelling. We had a few 'near miss' animal strikes (one black bear and two deer) and a couple of 'near miss' head-ons (in both cases oncoming vehicles were straddling the centre line coming around a bend and I had to brake heavily and veer to the side of the road to avoid a collision).

During our trip we visited Luray Caverns (VA), Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain and Mount Mitchell (all in NC), Gatlinburg (TN) (to stock up on Ole Smokey Moonshine Nog!), the Barber Motorcycle Museum (AL), the Highlands/Cashiers (NC) region and as many waterfalls as we could.

We also saw the seasonal 'Shadow of the Bear' (it occurs for a few weeks in Oct/Nov each year and can be seen from an overlook located between Highlands and Cashiers) and stumbled across one of only two covered bridges left in NC.

We had perfect weather the whole time and I'm really glad we travelled from north to south along Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway as it was wonderful to see the colours changing and intensifying the further south we went. That said, by far and away the *best* Fall foliage colours we saw during our whole trip were on Cherohala Skyway on Thursday 22 October!

We can now tick quite a few items off our bucket list now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 29
Looks like you picked the right time for your trip, Kathy! Thanks for sharing.

wow a surpurb trip. so many good places to visit and see. now that bear shadow is something

Thanks Kathy, looks like a GREAT adventure and I wish I could have been there and made the trip myself, maybe I will get the opportunity one day.

Seagrass

Glad you enjoyed the visit! Wasn't the Barber Museum spectacular? My son and I rode down there earlier in the month.

Mike

Thanks for sharing. It is really a great area at the perfect fall time.
Glad you had a great experience.

Jim

So glad to hear you had a great trip and got to see so many nice places. Now remember you've only just scratched the surface so you'll have to come back!

Kathy I kind of feel for you, I was done in VA, TN, KY, and OH. All in RV, no motorcycle, spend most of days in Caverns, lots of caverns, (wife likes them: her trip). Weather was fantastic. End by attending the Cyclocross Pan AM event in Cincinnati, which is always, the some of the best riders in the word.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

As much as we would have preferred to have ridden the roads we travelled (although we were very pleased to be in a car during our near-misses!) we were glad to have had the opportunity to drive them rather than never see them at all and, with our daughter and her family now living in the US and both my husband and I being retired, we'll definitely be back for more in the years to come!

And wine-barr you're right - we reckon there is so much to see and do in the areas we travelled that you would need to set aside a couple of months to do it all!

I've seen that picture of the waterfall over the road but don't know where it is. Anyone?
It's Bridal Veil Falls on US64 and about 2.5 miles northwest of the town of Highlands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom