Skyline Drive + Blue Ridge Parkway

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
A trip to meet up with a friend from Minneapolis in MI's upper penninsula fell through for now.

So I decided I will plan a trip to visit some family in Bogart, GA as it will give me an excuse to ride these two popular roads. All in all it's about 1200 miles each way for me (maybe a bit more if I spend more time off the super slab). As it will be my longest trip to date, I'm going to take it pretty easy and plan three days to get down there, so about 400 miles a day - and pick up or relax the pace as needed. As I now have a Russell Day Long, I bet I can go a lot farther :) but I will plan it so that there is a lot of breathing room.

I will likely camp somewhere around Harrisburg, PA for the first night which would give me all day on day two to ride the Skyline and a good chunk of Blue Ridge. Actually, since the Blue Ridge ends only a few hours from Bogart, I'll probably spend night #2 camping somewhere along Blue Ridge. This is all traveling from North to South by the way, as I live in NH.

I know many of you are well acquainted with these roads. My question is about weather. I'm hoping to do this in May, but it might get pushed to June. And I will plan it so it will be midweek to hopefully avoid some congestion. Looking for feedback in favor of one month over the other (if it matters), or what sort of temps I can expect as well as if that's generally a rainy time of year for that part of VA/NC/etc. As well as opinions of any "must see" locations along the way or any other general suggestions about the ride and locations.

Thanks in advance!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rob, I have only one experience with Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had been at the Concours Owners Group Rally in Canaan Valley State Park in WV. I left there at about 9:00, stopped for a leisurely brunch somewhere before getting on to the Skyline in Front Royal at a little after noon. It was August, on a Friday morning, but the tourist traffic wasn't bad at all. My understanding was that they rigidly enforce the speed limit (and it seems to me that on the Sklyline Drive that was something totally ridiculous like 35mph), so traffic wouldn't have been the holdup anyway.

I rode a bit over the limit and think I was on the Skyline for 2 1/2 hours or so. I was still on the Blue Ridge when it got dark and my high beam burned out. I got off on to VA-43 and followed it down to I-81, and went into Roanoke and spent the night. Then, since I wanted to be to Spartansburg, SC, for supper, I stayed on I-81 down to I-77 and then took it back to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Because of the 45mph speed limit on the Parkway (I cruised at about 50mph), I decided to get off and drop down to four-lane at Gillespie Gap.

In August the temperatures on the Parkway were in the low 80s as compared to the mid 90s when I got down to I-40. The traffic was never a big factor on the Parkway for more than a few minutes at a time. It's a great ride. Rick and I will probably be doing part of it as we do the East Coast leg of the Epic Ride in August or September.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I went last year in the latter part of June beginning of July. The Parkway at elevation was in the mid to high 80's in temp. off the Parkway at lower alt. it was hot. If I was to do it again I would go in May. Not sure about the spring rains though. Best part of the Parkway is south in North Carolina. And the real good roads are the ones off the parkway going to and from. Twisty, windy, had a ball. Speed limits at 25 to 45. Could not go any faster with out crashing. :smile::smile: The trip back across the Great Planes back to Colorado was miserable

slider

May is much better. School is still in so you don't have the minivan brigade going to the beach, Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach. weather won't be a huge factor between mid-May and mid-June. Late June heats up.

voodoo child

I've ridden about 150 miles of the BRP (from Cherokee to its intersection with NC-226).......FANTASTIC scenery and a 45mph speed limit (which you WANT to obey) make for slooooooooow traveling. I did ride it once from Cherokee to Ashville with a fearless (or stupid?) lead bike and at times we were running 80+...........I would NEVER do that again but it is an experience I'll never forget....the ol' Connie was in her element!
Be prepared for wildly changing weather, the mountains really seem to confuse the weather fronts. We usually make our annual trip to Deals Gap in May & I always wear my heated gear just in case things turn sour.
If you ride the BRP all the way to its end, go thru Bryson City and pick up Hwy 28 south thru Franklin & Highlands. This is my favorite stretch of road in NC, especially the section thru the Cullasaja Gorge.
Just before 28's junction with Hwy 107 is Warwoman road..........another excellent stretch of pavement.
Good luck & ENJOY!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I plan to make a trip to BRP in late May. That was a good time when I was there about 4-5 years ago. It was cold at night in the mountains, but the days were pretty good. There are so many good riding roads in that part of the US it's just crazy. I just run out of time and have to turn around and head home. Maybe I'll see some of you folks there.

Then a bunch of us are riding around Lake Superior in June.

Then there is the trip to Spearfish in July. But like Chuck says -
The trip back across the Great Planes back
- is pretty boring.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I plan to make a trip to BRP in late May. That was a good time when I was there about 4-5 years ago. It was cold at night in the mountains, but the days were pretty good. There are so many good riding roads in that part of the US it's just crazy. I just run out of time and have to turn around and head home. Maybe I'll see some of you folks there.

Then a bunch of us are riding around Lake Superior in June.

Then there is the trip to Spearfish in July. But like Chuck says - - is pretty boring.
Riding across Missouri and Kansas it was 109 to 110 degrees. I rode from St. Louis to Denver in one day, 16 hours. 875 miles. I will not do it again in the summer time. Or any time for that matter.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Good information, thank you. I'll definitely shoot for May unless there's a chance I could make April work.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I have traveled the entire length of Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway, not all at one time, but with 2 sons on trips. Many more times from Blowing Rock to Asheville. Speeds are 35 on Skyline and 45 max on Parkway. If you are planning on making this 1 of the 400 mile days, you might want to add an extra day. The traffic has never been overly congested, even on holidays. Because of the slower speeds, you won't have time to stop for anything and sightsee but gas and quick meals by trying to make a 400 mile around these roads.
May is a good month, its before the heat of summer causes some pop up thunderstorms. Elevations in NC range from about 2,500 to 6,047. Some of the stops are right on Parkway, Blowing Rock- nice mountain town,Mt Michell, highest point east of Mississippi river, tunnels, Craggy Gardens - a road on ridge, stop at rest area can look wayyyy down in valley on both sides, Mt Pisgah - highest point on Parkway, south of Asheville.
They print a booklet for the BRP, you might be able to request a copy, good to have, shows mile markers and things to do, places to eat, etc. (They are free along Parkway)

PS here is the website for BRP planner http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=73. You can look at it online and print it out. very helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom