Small light in headlight housing???

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Okay, I haven't owned a newer motorcycle in many, many years. So what is up with the tiny, clear lens light that sits 'front and center' inside the headlight housing? It's about the size of a (automotive) dashboard light. I'm curious as to what it's purpose might be.

Thanks

You and me both. I've seen this sort of thing in other bikes, so surely it's a wondrous advance in the state of the lighting art.

It is called a position light. I have seen a post here somewhere about it.
I believe it is a leftover from our European NT'ers.

Brad

Some countries require you to have marker lights turned on when you are parallel parked, even if parked overnight. Some cars had separate lights on the sides of the car. Others had a special turn signal switch that turned on the turn signal lights (not blinking) on one side or the other.

Motorcycles had the same requirement hence the little bulb up front. Usually connected to the park light in the back.

Okay, I haven't owned a newer motorcycle in many, many years. So what is up with the tiny, clear lens light that sits 'front and center' inside the headlight housing? It's about the size of a (automotive) dashboard light. I'm curious as to what it's purpose might be.

Thanks

In the US you would refer to it as a parking light. On the NT this function is disabled for this US market so it does not function as a parking light.

Some countries require you to have marker lights turned on when you are parallel parked, even if parked overnight. Some cars had separate lights on the sides of the car. Others had a special turn signal switch that turned on the turn signal lights (not blinking) on one side or the other.

Motorcycles had the same requirement hence the little bulb up front. Usually connected to the park light in the back.

Yes. I remember, back in the day, when all the Honda's had a parking lamp function. You could turn the key to the opposite position of on and remove it and the taillamp would remain illuminated. I suspected that that's what the position lite on the NT is for, but there is no key position on the NT whereby the position light (only) and the taillamp remain on with the key removed, According to the chaps on the Deauville forum, their NT's function exactly as ours do and have no good explanation for the position light.

Mike

My Silverwing had parking lights back in '83, and I think it shared four-way flashers with my two Concours. I really wish we had those on the NT.

BTW, I had parking lights on my NT for about 20 minutes this morning. I'd been carrying a Coffee Mocha from McDonalds in my DayPack tank bag. It was too big to get securely into the bag, and was leaning on my chest. When I stopped and put the bike on the sidestand, my belly pulled the lid up and I was wearing Coffee Mocha on my light blue shirt. That threw my parking routine off and fifteen minutes later, as I was getting a haircut, someone came in and asked "Is that your bike?" I was afraid it had been hit or blown over in today's gale. I said, very tentatively, "Yes..." and was relieved when she said "Your lights are on." I went out and turned the ignition off and was relieved when the haircut was done that the bike started.

Hello,

In France,we also have those parking light .But we cannot use it.The is no way to light it when key is off.And it is not usefull because we can't switch our headlight off.There is no switch.When we turn the motor on,lights are on .All motorcycles must have lights on ,all day long and of course all night long when we ride .
Many french bikers take the parking light bulb out of its place.I did it this evening

Back
Top Bottom