Smaller windshield??

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
Maybe a shot in the dark, but as it's getting to be warmer temperatures I was thinking some more airflow would be nice. I know that Cee Bailey is a good option for a larger windshield...I was thinking more the opposite. Maybe something somewhere in the size of the smaller sport-touring bikes like BMW. Anyone heard or seen anything like this?

Nicole

I would imagine that you could ask a local retailer who has access to the measurements of different ones and they could find one that fits.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have a cut down stock shield for my ST1300. You can do the same with the stock shield on the NT. Tape it off and use a jig saw with a very fine blade. Mark off where you want to cut and go for it. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. You don't want the blade to melt the plastic, It needs to cut it.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Wow Christian. I guess it is a mattero for perspective. We are seeing ambient highs of 85 degrees F MOL. that means about 90 on the bike (by my bar maounted thermometer). Later this summer we will reach 110 at times. Love it in SE TX.

BTW, tried the techniques Rick describes last year. Mco-riders thought I was nuts. It really does work. Tempt was 110 plus, closed vents, pured in a pint of cool water, and it was like air conditioning for the next hour.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
In Texas it was imposable to ride in the summer with my face shield open. Had to close shield and zip up every thing. Was like a blast furnace in the face. Take a heat gun turn it on and point it at your face. Now you have ridden in the Texas summer heat. Thank goodness I am back near the mountains. Of course in the winter in Texas, whole nother story.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have a cut down stock shield for my ST1300. You can do the same with the stock shield on the NT. Tape it off and use a jig saw with a very fine blade. Mark off where you want to cut and go for it. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. You don't want the blade to melt the plastic, It needs to cut it.
Chuck, just curious. Why do you cut down a windshield and ride with it all the way up?

I used to put the stock screen on during the summer, but, then found myself moving it all the way up to stop the wind noise. Put back the CB (+6) and kept it in the 2nd or 3rd notch all the time.

And, yes, living in Phx is different (I grew up there). Wind in the desert is different than in humid parts of the country. The last thing you want is air blowing over the body. The 'stationary' air is dry enough to suck up all the moisture from your body. There is a reason desert dwelling peoples wear loose clothing that covers most of their body. More important is to have a LOT of water and at times just sprinkle yourself with some of it.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Mine actually worked well in the lowest position while in Florida from the 1st through the 7th. Definately made a difference dropping it down for more air flow especially when you dress for the slide, not the ride.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, just curious. Why do you cut down a windshield and ride with it all the way up?

I used to put the stock screen on during the summer, but, then found myself moving it all the way up to stop the wind noise. Put back the CB (+6) and kept it in the 2nd or 3rd notch all the time.

And, yes, living in Phx is different (I grew up there). Wind in the desert is different than in humid parts of the country. The last thing you want is air blowing over the body. The 'stationary' air is dry enough to suck up all the moisture from your body. There is a reason desert dwelling peoples wear loose clothing that covers most of their body. More important is to have a LOT of water and at times just sprinkle yourself with some of it.
It allowed air flow under the shield to my body but pushed the wind over my face. I still looked over the shield. As we have said, any thing over 105 degrees forget about it. TOO HOT. Most of the time I would not ride in any thing over 105 to 110 degrees. which was most of the summer. Ride early morning or late at night. Stay inside in between. June, July and Aug, in Texas were my low milage months. Glad I am here now.

Last edited:

androu

I ride quite a bit here in the summer, usually over 100, often 115 or so. i usually wear mesh jacket and pants and I feel pretty comfortable as long as I stay moving, you can die at a long traffic light :) I do take steps to stay hydrated though. I always carry water and have a survival kit on board in case I break down on a lonley desert highway. You don't feel sweaty out here when it's hot like you do in humid heat, but you still lose a lot of water, it just evaporates off of you quicker. Never even considered lowering the windscreen, I like the protection at the highest position.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Christian,

You are correct. many who have not been there cannot comprehend temps over 110F or 120F. At the same time I have never been at more than -30F either. We used to say that as it gets colder you just put on more clothes. But when it gets hotter you can only get rid of so much :)

As a kid we used to play golf when it was 115F. We got REALLY cheap green fees and a course to ourselves. Heck a couple of times the folks at the course would let us play for free. I do remember the golf pro coming with us out at the 1st tee. He checked to make sure we had enough water as well as that we knew how to play well enough not to be out there too long.

And watching fireworks on the 4th of July. Coming home at MIDNIGHT and the temp was 104F.

All of that is with less than 10% humidity.

And I still really don't like humid weather. And anything over 40% is too high :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It allowed air flow under the shield to my body but pushed the wind over my face. I still looked over the shield. As we have said, any thing over 105 degrees forget about it. TOO HOT. Most of the time I would not ride in any thing over 105 to 110 degrees. which was most of the summer. Ride early morning or late at night. Stay inside in between. June, July and Aug, in Texas were my low milage months. Glad I am here now.
Thanks, that explains it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have been thinkig about adding a Gold wing type flip open vent to center of windshield . What are the opinions on that? I know ricks thought as I have riden wing in his hot box area , and in it I didn't open thee vent at all and kept my hemlet visor down tightly shut, as it wasmuch cooler!

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Fortunately for those of us who live here with outdoor air-conditioning, 93 degrees air temperature happens for a total of 5 minutes every 2 years:smile:

OP
OP
Builtdesign
Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
Thanks! That sounds pretty easy and I have a bit of experience with a jig saw.

About the Iron Butt article...yeah, I believe it's kind of an average (scientific) speculation. I agree it affects most people that way, but everyone's body's are able to withstand and regulate different temperatures. I doubt I'd last long in Christian's climate! For example, temps below 70 and I'm wearing long sleeves if not a jacket, and I can handle 100 pretty well because my body is use to it. Anyway, when it gets above 100 I usually wet all my clothing (sometimes even the 'Stich lining) helmet liner and gloves with no issues...the dry heat has it's advantages :biggrin:

tawilke46

Anyway, when it gets above 100 I usually wet all my clothing (sometimes even the 'Stich lining) helmet liner and gloves with no issues...the dry heat has it's advantage
Yeah, we have a definite disadvantage down here in the hot and humid south. When temps are in the mid to upper 90's and the dew point is in the 60's and 70's, evaporative cooling does not work!
You just drip with sweat and look for the nearest place that has air conditioning.
There are days I just do not ride when it gets real hot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom