Smoke under the seat

jukka71

Hi guys!

Have you heard about the electrical problems according Deauville-models or other Honda-bikes, I mean melting wires?

My bike is a Deauville 700 abs 2006, 39000miles with heated grips and has this problem. All started in May under a 5miles ride. It came smoke under the seat, I took it off, and found melting wires and a plastic grey-colored box under the seat (I don?t know the right names of these parts, I don?t fix my bike).

My dealer has a Deauville 2008 and they took a ride; the wires under the seat are little warm after a ride!

The finnish Honda-dealer has not been a helping hand here. The german Honda-dealer told that some Honda-bikes has these problems. The german agent said that "heated grips" should be the cause of these problems.

But have you ever heard about these problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jukka, this is the first problem like this I've ever heard of; but our bikes are all 2010 models or newer. Good luck on getting everything straightened out!

It came smoke under the seat, I took it off, and found melting wires and a plastic grey-colored box under the seat
Never heard of such a problem. Posting a picture of the grey colored box would help identify possible problems. What color insulation was the wire?

First of all, thanks for answering so quickly! :smile:

Never heard of such a problem. Posting a picture of the grey colored box would help identify possible problems. What color insulation was the wire?

Dan , I don?t have the bike home, so I can?t tell you the details you asked.

AND I ?m able to take the bike home during this weekend. My mc-dealer (not the local Honda-dealer) has been working with it now for 2 months (he is charging nothing). He took it to a test ride and everything worked fine. BUT no-one (at the local finnish Honda dealer or his german Honda-contacts) found the answer what was (is) the problem. Okay, the bike was never examined by the Honda-dealer, my dealer was just consulting with these but nothing came up :shrug2: And the thought, that Honda would keep the information inside waiting the bike to their own garage, is little odd, isn?t it?

So I?m taking Deauville home maybe tomorrow.

Not knowing what electrical wire or "box" was smoking/melting makes it difficult to diagnose. That circuit is likely overloaded for some reason. Could be a loose connection, could be a failing regulator/stator, or some other component on that circuit. All of which would be easy enough to identify by a trained mechanic. Haven't heard of any such issue myself however on the NTs Stateside.
Hi guys!

Have you heard about the electrical problems according Deauville-models or other Honda-bikes, I mean melting wires?

My bike is a Deauville 700 abs 2006, 39000miles with heated grips and has this problem. All started in May under a 5miles ride. It came smoke under the seat, I took it off, and found melting wires and a plastic grey-colored box under the seat (I don?t know the right names of these parts, I don?t fix my bike).

My dealer has a Deauville 2008 and they took a ride; the wires under the seat are little warm after a ride!

The finnish Honda-dealer has not been a helping hand here. The german Honda-dealer told that some Honda-bikes has these problems. The german agent said that "heated grips" should be the cause of these problems.

But have you ever heard about these problems?

Jukka,

I highly doubt the C-TEK had anything to do with the problem. A quick review of the 3300 model specs makes it look really hard to screw it up and not have all sorts of alarms or an automatic shutdown.

Are the Heated Grips Honda Accessories or a third party? If they are Honda brand, and installed correctly, I really doubt they are the problem as the Honda wiring is double fused, there is a 3 Amp in-line fuse which is being feed by the 10 Amp Accessory fuse in Fuse Box A. The inline fuse should have blown well before the wiring under the seat could over heat. If they are third party heated grips that could be your issue.

Which side of the NT was the "grey colored box" located on, as in left right or centered? Also did you notice anything not working after the wiring melted?

I would take a very close look at what electrical accessories have been added since the bike was new. Most likely faulty wiring.
Should not be too hard to find.

Are the Heated Grips Honda Accessories or a third party?

Which side of the NT was the "grey colored box" located on, as in left right or centered? Also did you notice anything not working after the wiring melted?

I?m almost certain that we are talking about Hondas own grips. And "the grey match box" was on the left side under the seat, "under my buttocks".

I would take a very close look at what electrical accessories have been added since the bike was new. Most likely faulty wiring.
Should not be too hard to find.

Yeah, that?s right! I don?t have others than the grips installed.

I?m also a member at the finnish Deauville-forum. One member there wrote that Hondas bike VFR had problems with regulator (I hope I translated it right here). Maybe my 2006 Deauville has the same part. :confused::confused:

I see smoke under the seat too as my 'bum' roasts itself in this everyday 100+ degree weather we're having:) :)

Thanks! We got it rainy here so the hole bike won?t burn down...:shower1:

Here again! :)

Rode back home with the bike and everything works fine! I?ll take it easy now and follow the situation few days but it?s promising. I really hope that I can enjoy the Honda-quality the rest of the summer. But if something happens I?ll keep you informed. Thanks for some good advises on this thread!:spsmile:

I've been thinking about your situation, Jukka. You don't happen to have any electrical components manufactured in the UK, do you? If so, remember that they can be susceptible to smoke leakage. If too much smoke leaks out, your bike won't run. Google "Lucas Prince of Darkness" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I've been thinking about your situation, Jukka. You don't happen to have any electrical components manufactured in the UK, do you? If so, remember that they can be susceptible to smoke leakage. If too much smoke leaks out, your bike won't run. Google "Lucas Prince of Darkness" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

That was cruel Phil! Ah, yes Lucas electrics. Us old timers can remember them well. Guaranteed for 30 seconds or 30 feet, whichever came first.

Lucas was the first to have the 3 position light switch. Dim, Flicker, and Off.

Lucas was the first to have the 3 position light switch. Dim, Flicker, and Off.

I always thought it was: "Failed" and "About to fail". Ah, the tales we oldsters could tell. I owned 2 British cars and 3 British Motorcycles of pre-1970 vintage.

Jukka, those Brits are sooo sneaky. I would guess that even one strand of British-made wire would be enough to allow smoke leakage. :)

Back
Top Bottom