Some motorcycle models may disappear after this year...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Some of this isn't cast in stone as yet and I know manufacturers often stop production of a model until all the crated units in warehouses are gone then may restart production of that model at a later date but if the deletion is due to their inability to update that model to meet upcoming emission specs, they may be gone forever.

A lot of this strikes me as basic business decisions by the manufacturers, bikes that are not selling and/or don't meet Euro 5 standards get the ax. Can't keep making a product that doesn't sell, despite our personal affinity for said product. Progress marches on. Sometimes you've got to embrace the new, the same things happening in the car world.

Personally, I think I'll just keep the NT, it will probably outlast me, and it's paid for. But, I'd love to take a spin on a V-Max!

Brad

Wow, the VFR800 and V-MAX gone. I guess that leaves Aprilia left standing with the only V4 that uses the correct V4 firing order.

Some of this isn't cast in stone as yet and I know manufacturers often stop production of a model until all the crated units in warehouses are gone then may restart production of that model at a later date but if the deletion is due to their inability to update that model to meet upcoming emission specs, they may be gone forever.
Thanks! Interesting article....Euro 5 and other limitations locally across the pond will change things drastically.....glad I have my FJR and VFR.
Here is a very intelligent article on Euro 5 and its effects.

A lot of this strikes me as basic business decisions by the manufacturers, bikes that are not selling and/or don't meet Euro 5 standards get the ax. Can't keep making a product that doesn't sell, despite our personal affinity for said product. Progress marches on. Sometimes you've got to embrace the new, the same things happening in the car world.

Personally, I think I'll just keep the NT, it will probably outlast me, and it's paid for. But, I'd love to take a spin on a V-Max!

Brad
I agree. I think the article I posted above shows that if a bike if popular, it can be modified for E5. Cars in the US have had to go through this for years...who remembers the very first "air pumps" to push air into the exaust? Then cat converters, electronic engine controls, and transmission controls....but in the US, you can still drive your Corvair , Vega, or Pinto or Gremlin....are older bikes exempt for every in Europe?

"....Computer controls and fuel injection made meeting the standards relatively easy....air-cooling went away except for the smallest motors. The Honda CB11100, which had its air-cooled mill designed specially for it..."

The adoption of the Catalytic Converter came before computer controls and perhaps before Fi but it varied by manufacturer. Having a CAT made it fairly simple to clean up a "dirty" engine, compared to all the baloney, mish-mash up front required to do it before the exhaust headpipe!

The 49 cc and below emissions are rudimentary which is why we still have 2-strokes in small mostly Euro scooters in the US. In the 90s, Honda developed a clean, 400 cc, 2-stroke and even raced it at the Paris-Dakar rally to prove its durability. It placed inside the top 10 but it was a lost cause because of the huge cost of manufacturing compared to a simple 4-stroke.

Last edited:
"....Computer controls and fuel injection made meeting the standards relatively easy....air-cooling went away except for the smallest motors. The Honda CB11100, which had its air-cooled mill designed specially for it..."

The adoption of the Catalytic Converter came before computer controls and perhaps before Fi but it varied by manufacturer. Having a CAT made it fairly simple to clean up a "dirty" engine, compared to all the baloney, mish-mash up front required to do it before the exhaust headpipe!

The 49 cc and below emissions are rudimentary which is why we still have 2-strokes in small mostly Euro scooters in the US. In the 90s, Honda developed a clean, 400 cc, 2-stroke and even raced it at the Paris-Dakar rally to prove its durability. It placed inside the top 10 but it was a lost cause because of the huge cost of manufacturing compared to a simple 4-stroke.

I have a Chinese skooter I use at oshkosh that is 49 cc and not street legal in many places. It goes like a bat out of somewhere and the engine is the only good thing about it. I also have an electric scooter I take. Didnt some snowmobiles have clean two strokes?

"50 miles of vacuum plumbing", aah, those were the days! Today's vehicles don't have that, and if it does have some vacuum plumbing it's all routed and orderly, as opposed to looking like a plate of spaghetti. We've come a long way.

"...Didnt some snowmobiles have clean two strokes?.."

It wouldn't surprise me because I know there are one or two outboard motor makers with clean 2-strokes. And they are not small motors you can carry in the trunk of your car!

Loved my little Yamaha YL1 100cc two stroke twin.

I also had a 3 cylinder 380 and a 3 cylinder 550 Suzuki two strokes. Bullet proof motors. Fast, easy tuneup. Set the point gap (I used a dwell meter), set the timing, balance the carbs. Done.

"...Didnt some snowmobiles have clean two strokes?.."

It wouldn't surprise me because I know there are one or two outboard motor makers with clean 2-strokes. And they are not small motors you can carry in the trunk of your car!

You mean these are not the classic Johnson Sea-Horse motors I remember from my youth? Those things would idle at a trolling speed all day long. Yes, they would get you to your favorite spot on the lake, assuming you didn't mind how long it took to get there. Good memories

Brad

Loved my little Yamaha YL1 100cc two stroke twin.

I also had a 3 cylinder 380 and a 3 cylinder 550 Suzuki two strokes. Bullet proof motors. Fast, easy tuneup. Set the point gap (I used a dwell meter), set the timing, balance the carbs. Done.
Twin Jet 100!

Oil metering and injection, separate from the gas, enabled that. It was something that the outboard industry should have adopted long before it did.

My 1972 Yamaha R5 had separate oil injection. I was used to mixing oil with the gas, and the fouled plugs, the blue smoke...there was little of that with the Yamaha. It SMELLED like an outboard, but it wasn't offensively smokey.

I think it was the unseen emissions that killed two-strokes, both two wheeled and on the water. Given the crude basics of a two-stroke engine...reed flapper valve, or no valve, and a crude intake-charge and exhaust-purge...it wasn't surprising.

Brad is right. Those old OMC outboards (Johnson/Evinrude/Gale) which were carbureted back in the day would idle steadfastly all day long while trolling. They were amazingly reliable as well. They were the Hondas of the outboard world.

Mike

Does Chad ride today?

Yes.
Had 3 or 4 little bikes as a child. Including a 70 Yamaha that looked "full size". And a Honda Trail 50.
He had an Ascot while he was in the Air Force in San Antonio. Rode that little 500 from Texas to Iowa and back twice and then Texas to Florida when he got out.
He didn't have a bike for a long time, BUT . . . just after the wife and I got our $1200 stimulus checks last year, he called one day. Long story short, we used our checks to buy a nice 2005 Honda 700 Shadow. We're in Iowa, Chad and the bike are in Florida. Worked out PERFECT!!!
Oh well, we understood the situation. Wife and I have had some kind of 2 or 3 wheel ride since that YL1 in 1966.
This summer, he surprised us by showing up on "our" Honda. Two days up, here 4 days, two days back.
WE GOT OUR MONEY'S WORTH. Every penny.

PS

While he was here, I gave him a RIDE in our Polaris SlingShot. Yes, he was impressed. BIG GRIN.

Back
Top Bottom