Some newbie helmet questions

Bike
2011 Black NT700
What if any is the difference between Hi Vis and Hi Viz?

I am currently looking at the Bell Revolver EVO Hi Vis and the Fly Tourist Hi Viz helmets. Any info/opinions on either or both would be appreciated. I would think the Bell would give more protection in a crash. However, the Fly should give a better visual range.

Thanks for any and all help, Clint

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clint, as far as I know the only difference between "Hi-Vis" and "Hi-Viz" is spelling. Some people's Hi-Viz is more yellow, some is more greenish.

According to Aerostitch, their Hi-Viz yellow is the brightest color in the spectrum, even when it gets dirty. Which is a good deal because it sure gets dirty. In their own words, it "shows dirt better than anything you've worn since diapers."

As far as the helmets go, I'm not familiar with either of the ones you're considering. I'm sure someone will chime in with an opinion.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Bell's been making helmets for a long time and they're still in business...] They were out of biz for a long time (10 years) probably due to a lawsuit and the same thing happened to Simpson. When Bell came back it was only in bicycle helmets and their reentry into motorcycle helmets is fairly recent.

Daler - all helmets have at least 120-degrees of cutout for peripheral vision. Most humans can't see beyond that range so having a greater cutout doesn't necessarily mean a wider range of view. Another factor to consider is that a larger cutout means more of your face is vulnerable in an accident.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Don't over look good old white. I have seen opinions that white is still the most noticable in trafic, even though it may on be as "bright" as some of the Hi Viz(s) colors. In either case, when I shop later this year I will go for white or Hi Viz(s) depnding on availbility. All of this assumes the choices you list fit well. Fit trumps all.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And for a while all Bell helmets were made overseas. They recently got a factory going again in the us but donot know if all their stuff is made there or not.

I would still geta Bell over other no name brands.

And I always get plain color helmets and apply reflective graphics.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Strangest color I've seen is Black Chrome. I don't know what it it, but stuff colored with this effect look invisible to me.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The difference between the two helmets has more to do with their coverage/protection than it does the brand or the color. The Bell is a full coverage flip up design and the Fly is an open face helmet. I own both open face and full coverage flip up helmets in both white and Hi-Viz. I now only wear the white flip up for both safty and visibility.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And not just for bikes. A family friend used to drive ambulances. She was hit once. Car pulled out in front of her. She had all the lights and siren going and driver's first words were, "I didn't see you."

The one thing I do not like about my Shoei is my side vision is restricted by a few degrees. I like my 3/4 helmet in town for the extra vision range. There are newer ff and modular helmets with wider vision ports being made these days.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a Bell Revolver in Hi-Vis Yellow and love it. Bell makes excellent helmets.

elizilla

I wouldn't buy a 3/4 helmet. Every crashed helmet I have ever seen, has deep scarring on the chin bar. I may not be entirely happy with my face but it's the only one I've got; I'd better keep it.

As for the Bell flip-face, I have never tried on a Bell helmet for any sport, that felt anywhere near head shaped. Maybe I have a weird-shaped head, though; I mean, Bell is still in business and they are a big player. So if it fits you and you like it, it should be protective enough.

I would be a little concerned about that particular helmet, though, because I was looking at them in Iron Pony last year, and every display model they had was broken. This was not the aftermath of crashing, and these do well in the crash tests, so they're probably still as safe as anything. But if the fiddly bits are easily snapped by random people handling them in the store, these convenience features are unlikely to be durable in real life use.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
+1 on Katherine's comment about the need for a helmet with a chin bar.

The prime factor in deciding whether to buy brand A versus brand B is the fit. Not all helmets have the same internal shape and even beyond that, some may have features that bother you. I had one of the first modular Nolan helmets and I loved the helmet but the metal clasp on the straps dug into my short neck so I sold it. People with normal length necks did OK with the Nolan!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a Nolan N-103 and an HJC Modular. I like my Bell Revolver best. I have raced bicycles for years and have always had Bell Helmets. In the 60s and 70s I had Bell Motorcycle helmets as well.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Yeah something like 80% of damage occurs in the chin area according to the hurt report.

I like my Nolan N90 more than my former Scorpion EXO 1000.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I don't think the 80% number is correct. I am thinking it was closer to 40%. In any case its enough to consider the value of wearing a full coverage helmet.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I had a Bell Star in the 1980's and found it in the attic in "storage" a few years ago. It still looked OK externally but internally - yuk. I had used it for Despatch Riding and it was in a bad way. It went in the bin.

I have a Nolan N103 and a Schuberth C3 ATM and I just love the Schuberth - the best helmet I've ever worn. The Nolan is really nice but just not as nice as the Schuberth.

Top Bottom