Something for those electro nuts...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think its claim to fame will be performance, not economy. But the additional cost for the hybrid hardware sort of offsets the performance factor as a larger displacement ICE would do the same thing. The market will decide the ultimate utility of the concept.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Charge time, availability of chargers / battery swaps, and range will determine if these work out. Also the interest in driving / riding of the younger generations coming up behind us. As an older person watching what is happening in today's world, I don't have any warm fuzzies for the future of motorcycling.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Charge time, availability of chargers / battery swaps, and range will determine if these work out.
This one is a hybrid so it charges itself with no external charging required. The complexity is what I'm concerned with...and the capabilities of the average motorcycle mechanic to work one. :rolleyes:

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I'm confused. Who is this marketed to other than someone who wants the novelty of having a hybrid motorcycle? Maybe I'm missing something, but for every rider style-- commuter, canyon carver, track rider, 0-100 mph speed freak, cruiser, tourer-- there seems to be less expensive and better options than a hybrid platform. This fills no niche, unless heavier, more complicated, and more expensive is your thing.

Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
Isn’t the whole idea behind a hybrid have to do with fuel economy? I’m not sold on electric cars, but, Hybrid cars I’m all for. I’ll stick with the ICE till I die.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I'm also confused by this/their marketing decision... and there is certainly neither infrastructure nor clientele around for a battery leasing concept... I'd charge at home, maybe at the workplace parking lot, and that's it... so I could see a full electric scooter for pure urban commute... maybe a revival of the PC800...

A hybrid I would have expected inside a big, full faired, long distance touring motorcycle, maybe in the size of an ST or GL, the electric drive-train assisting as power booster and maneuvering propulsion for parking & reversing... you rarely request max power from your ICE bike, cruising along a country road at 100kph/60mph requires something like 30HP, only during take-off, passing and cornering you open it up...
But they've extinct all touring motorcycles... scoots, naked, ADV... that's it... searching for weather protection, proper seating for two grown adults, shaft drive and integrated panniers, you'll fail... >500km/300miles fuel range? negative...
Emission regs (and cost cutting) have lead to the demise of any inline or V 4-cylinder, hence every MFG comes along with a parallel twin now (like Honda's NC/NT line...), an electric assist would at least smooth out/hide the disadvantages...

But complexity is already an issue on current, conventional motorcycles... way too many "electronic assistants" present, "features" as sales merit, all embedded of course, so if one tiny probe or sensor fails the whole rig is demoted to a lifeless hunk of metal and plastic... no limping home...

Guess we'll keep the NT700VA and the ST1100 as long as possible...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I just can't imagine how much this hybrid bike will cost?
In the automotive world hybrids cost ~20 to 30 percent more than the plain old ICE version. :rolleyes: EV's cost ~20 to 30 percent more than the hybrid version...:eek: Unless someone has planned it as a "loss leader" for some reason it is going to be expensive.

At 60 years old I just can’t get into all this hand wringing and clutching of pearls worrying about the demise of the ICE. I’ve got more than enough to last me for as long as I want to operate one.

Frankly if you are in your 50’s now you will be dead and buried long before the demise of the ICE.

A bunch of old guys yammering on about the horrors of modern electric vehicles just seems like a waste of time, change is the only thing that can be relied upon, get used to it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
A bunch of old guys yammering on about the horrors of modern electric vehicles just seems like a waste of time, change is the only thing that can be relied upon, get used to it.
Yabbut, we gotta have something to bitch about..... either that or we can all take turns relating the stories of our medical woes..... takes yer choice...
:eek:
Mike

Now the bad burrito I had for lunch, that is something to talk about……on second thought I don’t even want to remember that mess lol. I do agree with you all that electric vehicles are kind of a mess right now. From what I hear many of the free charging options are going away and lord knows electricity is not getting any cheaper. One last complaint and I’ll stop…..imo if the goal is to get folks into electric vehicles they need to be much cheaper than they are now.

Top Bottom