SoundRider Rally in the Gorge

SeattleJim

I got back last night from a 1000 mile ride to and around the Columbia River Gorge. There were 3 of us there on NT700's. Besides myself Taldric and Isaac also made it. There was almost a 4th NT700 joining us. Clement Salvadori of Rider Magazine attended and was supposed to be test riding an NT but Honda could not get him one in time.

Taldric and I at McClellan Viewpoint with Mt. St. Helens behind us. This was a checkpoint on the Fun Run .

A highlight of the event is access to the 2.5 mile Maryhill Loops Road, the first paved road in the northwest. It's normally closed to vehicles but can be rented for certain events. In the morning was a riding clinic and then in the afternoon it was opened to all rally attenders. This shot is of the clinic riders. Can you spot Isaac?!

I arrived shortly before the road was opened for us in the afternoon. There were about 5 bikes in front of me. I briefly chatted with Isaac before he had to go back to class. Clement pulled in behind me and we chatted about the NT's good and bad points. One of the Rally officials told us to gear up and pulled us out of line. We got to ride the road first. Yay! I made 4 runs and was starting to bevel the bottom of my boots. What a hoot!

This canyon was on the way to the Maryhill road. Another fun twisty.

taldric

So here are a few of my images from that trip as well!

Jim and me. Note that the mountain has moved to the other side! This is a very geologically active area.

On the way to the Rally on Thursday morning my friend (Bruce - on his Wing) and I ran into some snow still on the sides of the road around Mt. St. Helens. Had to get a picture of snow still on the ground at about 4,200 ft the last week in July! All you heater-bait on the east coast should love that!

This is why I live in the Pacific Northwest! What a view, and only a couple hours from home.

Just because it's a good picture of the volcano.

When we got to the Rally we did a side ride up to see Vista House that overlooks the Columbia River.

This is what you see from Vista House (looking East).

Okay - no motorcycle in this picture, but we ate in the Walking Man Brewery both Thursday and Friday nights. AMAZING! Most of the beers were good. A few were terrible.

This is the second waypoint on the fun-run on Friday.

Did I mention there were a LOT of bikers there? This is the parking area on the second waypoint again.

Here's the fourth (and final) waypoint. Bikes coming in and out constantly for an hour.

Jim and my NT's are surrounding Jim's wife's scooter.

Did I mention that there were a LOT of bikes at the Rally? This is inside the barn where we parked. It filled up!

Saturday Bruce and I took off to go down into central Oregon to pick up one of the Cafe-to-Cafe sites (Kah-Nee-Tah). This is Mt. Hood from the road on the east side.

Made it for breakfast. Only a two hour ride south of the Rally (which was in Stevenson, WA).

On the way back North to do the Mary Hill Loops we got to observe a wheat field on fire. Apparently an accident during harvesting.

Hey - we went to Stonehenge as well! At least the replica in Washington state. Boy my SereNiTy gets around!

Back at the Mary Hill Loops. At the top in fact. My "friend" Bruce is pushing me over the edge. You can see some of the road in the background...

But here is a better view. It is a pretty intense ride. Short, but really curvy and a lot of fun. I was too scared to go fast, and I never did drag a peg on it. There are no guard rails, no safety net. You go over the side you go down the mountain!

And finally, you got to love the huge power generating windmills. They were all turning pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom