Sources for longer cables

bicyclist

Here's some info that may be of value to folks who install higher bars/risers. Perhaps it could be made a sticky.

The clutch cable for the Transalp is about 2" longer than the stock NT cable and works perfectly as a replacement. P/N 22870-MAB-620

Since I don't know what other Honda model's throttle cables would work, I contacted some custom cable makers. The best bet seems to be Motion Pro. http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/

Their reply to my inquiry went like this:
"We do have the information on these cables so not a problem to custom
build these cables + 3". The cost to custom build these cables will be
$35 per each throttle cable excluding any shipping cost.

We currently have a window of 11 to 12 working days (Monday through
Friday) to build the cables once we process the order plus the time of
shipping. We do require the order to be paid by credit card and the ship
to address is the same as the billing address for the credit card. All
of our orders are considered special orders with a no return policy,
unless there is a warranty concern of some kind.

When you are ready to place your order pleas give us a call at
650-594-9600."

The key is that they know the specs. The other outfits I contacted wanted to be supplied with the info or have the original cables sent to them. Thirty five bucks to make a $10 cable isn't cheap, but it was less than the others.

jsims

I bought my Transalp clutch cable P/N 22870-MAB-620 from the local Honda dealer for $20.13 + $1.83 tax. The list price is only $23.68. Why would you want to purchase from anyone else ? Jerry

OP
OP

bicyclist

Jerry, I think George is talking about throttle cables, not the clutch cable.
That's right. We know the Transalp clutch cable works, so it makes sense to use it. Since we don't know what throttle cables will work, custom cables seem to be the option and Motion Pro can produce them with minimal fuss.

If anyone finds out what Honda cables will do the job, post it up.

NL7U

How much longer is the Transalp clutch cable than the NT700's? I thought of just taking my cables off and going to my local motorcycle salvage yard and matching something up from the hundreds they have amongst their take-offs.

OP
OP

bicyclist

The Transalp cable is about 2" longer than the NT's. If you have a local salvage yard with lots of cables, that would be the ideal way to do it. If you find ones that work and you can identify them, let the res of us know.

NL7U

The problem with salvage yards is they don't tag anything with what it came off of unless it was a fairly expensive part like a side case, cylinder head, wheel, etc. etc. With cables they just strip them off the bike and put them all in a big pile or bin. Now it's up to me to get good and dirty and compare the spare cables I already have with others that I think would work.

Motopilot

There's another thread with information about brake lines: http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?2188-RedBirds-Handlebar-Relocation
It doesn't mention the exact part numbers or pieces needed, however, and I thought that would be good information to add to this thread.
Here's what I THINK I need to extend the brake line an additional 3" for my ROX risers. Can someone let me know if this is right?
Do I need crush or sealing washers?
Do I need new bolts or will the existing ones work?

From www.jpcycles.com
Straight Banjo fitting #240-790 $11.99
35 degree banjo fitting #240-760 $11.99
Universal Brake line #242-364 21" long $33.99
Crush washer #240-397 $0.99 (do I need these? If so, 2 or 4?)
Banjo bolt sealing washer #5000250 $3.98 (do I need these? 2 or 4?)
Banjo bolt (w/2 washers) #ZZ27460 $8.99 (do I need 2 of these?)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
+ 1 to the "replace every washer" notion. Sometimes you can get away with reusing a washer, but when you can't get away with it, it sure makes replacing them look really, really inexpensive.

Am I the only person noticing that one could rotate the brake and clutch levers down if only a little slack was needed?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Am I the only person noticing that one could rotate the brake and clutch levers down if only a little slack was needed?
Good point... After I purchase a bike I loosen them and re-adjust them for the most comfortable angle for me, which is always downward, as part of my "tuning" process.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Since I did my relocation, I've found this site: http://spieglerusa.com/standard-line - you can order a line from them with ends that match your original (non-ABS) model brake line. They offer a 90 degree bend where the bend is parallel to the banjo flats (this should match the fitting on the lower end of the OEM brake line). IIIRC, the upper end of the OEM line is a straight banjo fitting, but I find that the 35 degree bend perpendicular to the banjo flats works quite well at the brake res. end. Total line length of 23" should be a good length. The length of the 21" universal line plus the 2 ends is about 23". Do replace the sealing washers on each side of the banjos (4 total). You can use the OEM bolts. While I used new OEM sealing washers, looks like you could use the 10mm crush washers you listed instead. The banjo bolt sealing washers you list are 12mm and are NOT the correct size for these 10mm banjos and bolts. Your other part numbers look to be correct to me. Note that they are available (with different part numbers) in black should one prefer that to chrome.

Someone with an ABS model can check Spiegler's website and see if they offer an end that matches the lower end of your line. That would be good info to post.

Bicyclist, perhaps you would want to edit your sources post to include Spiegler's website?

By the way, the Honda OEM sealing washers are $2.50 each when ordered from http://www.hdlparts.com/ - I used these with the JP cycles banjos. I have found hdlparts to be a good source of Honda OEM parts. I ordered the transalp clutch cable from them.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...How much longer is the Transalp clutch cable than the NT700's?...]

The sheath (outer) is exactly 2" longer but the cable is only 1-1/2" longer. It will work fine for 1" risers and is tight for some of the others such as 1" up-1" back sold by Twisted Throttle. Anymore than that and the cable won't reach.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Someone with an ABS model can check Spiegler's website and see if they offer an end that matches the lower end of your line. That would be good info to post...Redbird]

My NT has ABS and I was at Spiegler's last Thursday to ask about a longer brake hose. On the ABS model, the front brake hose ends in a threaded block into a which a steel line is connected. That steel line goes back to the ABS controller and comes forward as two lines because of the linked brakes. For them to help me, they'd have to make a new longer brake hose and also a new steel brake line and the price was going to be around $140. According to the sales tech, they have no way of making the end of their hose with a fitting to accept the Honda steel line. Anyhow, this was more than I wanted to spend.

Bike
Silver NT700V
On my non-ABS NT I have had no issues with brake line length with either the MCL 1" riser or the Twisted Throttle 1" X 1" Bar Back. On the clutch side, I was unable to find any slack and wore out the cable on the lever end with the MCL 1". Mechanic noticed it when I had the NT towed in due to a dead battery. Lucky. Replaced with the Trans Alp cable and now have plenty of slack.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
After striking out at Spiegler's, I ordered a 6" extension from HeliBars ($27). It's part of their kit for an NT/w ABS and I honestly wasn't sure how it'd work although I talked to BobAgain about it after ordering the parts. He has the Helibar kit on his NT. The parts (2) came today and I'm sure it'll be OK. It is a longer line with banjo bolt at the top and metal fitting at the bottom with a female thread. The other part is a banjo bolt connector with intergral bleeder bolt. The end of the original line is slipped over the connector which is then threaded into the bottom of the new hose. They even include 4 new copper sealing washers.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I'm trying to order the brake line noted above, Universal Brake line #242-364 21" long $33.99, but the part number is no loner available at JP Cycle. Does anyone know of an alternate part?

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Thanks. Yes I did check Spiegler out and may order custom if I don't like the setup, using the universal hose parts. I did order universal brake line J&P pn 241-743 / Goodridge pn 11321, which appears to be the same as the above hose but black braided stainless.

Top Bottom