Spare keys while camping

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I want to take a spare key for the bike and topbox when I ride to Spearfish. I haven't been able to think of anywhere to store/conceal them on the NT. So far, the only safe place I can come up with is to have them in the ".32" pocket on my Airglide. Has anyone come up with a better method that is specific to the NT?

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Red, we (hubby and me) always carry spare keys to our bikes and cases in one of our inside pockets.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I just saw a youtube video where the guy wears one on a velcro watch strap. Since then I have thought about wearingthe spares on a lanyard like dogtags.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The "dogtag" idea isn't bad at all, Clay. I keep mine in a pocket of my 'Stitch like Rick does, but I only carry the one extra.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When I had the NT I "wore" an extra key inside the top of my riding boots secured with the boot laces. Just cut off all the plastic and trim down the key, put a piece of plastic tube over it, and you won't even notice it...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a waterproof case (It is actually a plastic tobacco pouch for pipe tobacco) which has my spare key and bike papers. I keep the whole thing in the inside pocket of my jacket. The only drawback is if I change jackets and forget to transfer the pouch.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm going to either hang them around my neck on a lanyard or secure them in a good hiding place on the bike someone suggested that will actually work

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Make sure you are in the habit of always putting your keys in the same place every time. Usually that is a jacket or pants pocket. Often when you lose them its because you layed them down somewhere and forgot them. When my key comes out of the ingition it immediately goes into my pocket before I do anything else. If I carry a spare key its in my right front jacket pocket and the main key in in my front pants pocket. As Rick said if I lose my pants and my jacket I have bigger troubles than a lost key.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like the neck lanyard idea.

Currently I put the spare key in the left zippered pocket of my riding pants (which are what I wear when on camping trips) since I don't use those pockets for anything else.

My 'normal' place for the key I am using is the right hand jacket pocket.

I did 'lose' my key once when camping. I had decided to run to the locale diner for dinner and just wore my jeans and a shirt. Yep, put the key in the jeans pocket when I got back. Next morning I kinda freaked out about it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I leave my ign key in the switch most of the time, I have a extra set in the rh pocket of tank bag for quick & easy access when fueling, I also have a backup set in my pants pocket, Also another key in a jacket pocket depending on which jacket I am wearing as to location. I also have another set at home on the key board along with te key number ring.
AS previously stated regarding pant and jacket loss at same time I can only LOL thinking about that one.

Eldon

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
My car has an electronic key that I never take out of my pocket. Lots of cars have that (at least as an option). This causes some bad habits, such as getting into my airplane, truck or MC and neglecting to take the key out of my pocket to start the engine.

Anyway, I seem to recall the first model of the C14 having a smart key option. I wouldn't mind having that on my bike. Carry the sucker around your neck like a dog tag and never worry about it.

elizilla

When I travel with someone else, I trade spare keys with them.

Other times I tape the spare bike key inside my Givi top case. If I have a passenger, I give them a Givi key. That way they can get at their things, and if I lose my keys they can open the topcase to get at the spare. I also have several Givi keys which I can stow in different pockets or whatever, because I bought a set of five locks and ten keys alike, so I could key all my cases the same.

Top Bottom