Spark Plug Caps

Ok it was close to 80 degrees and took the nt out today, I heard some ticking , like a spark arc, after awhile the bike hesitated and stalled. Started back up but still doing the same. Its a 2010 with only 3500 miles, bought with 2300. I have seen the caps go bad and reading Honda may have ran out of NGK and used another. Are they still replacing the caps under the service bulletin under warranty or do I do it myself? Thanks

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You probably do it yourself. It's not very expensive. I got mine under warranty in 2011.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Yep time for plug caps. Mine did the same last year. I think every time I go into do the valves, which is way way longer than Honda recommends, I'll just put new ones one. Like Phil said, they are inexpensive and could save alot of headache if it happened on a trip. OH ps: I went with OEM. I had nearly 70K on it before it happened.

Ok it was close to 80 degrees and took the nt out today, I heard some ticking , like a spark arc, after awhile the bike hesitated and stalled. Started back up but still doing the same. Its a 2010 with only 3500 miles, bought with 2300. I have seen the caps go bad and reading Honda may have ran out of NGK and used another. Are they still replacing the caps under the service bulletin under warranty or do I do it myself? Thanks
Just purchased a 2010 NT w/12000 miles. It did the stumbling and dieing also. Word is bad plug caps. Ordered new OEM caps from Adept Motorsports. Funny thing: the OEM replacements in regulation Honda packaging don't say NGK on them. Gonna use them anyway. While tearing into the NT to replace the plug caps, thought I'd just as well replace the air cleaner. Must have been a good place for a mouse for awhile. Bet that NT will run right out from under me.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I think the resistor in the NT spark plug caps may be the issue, and not the cap itself. If there is too much resistance at the resistor, for whatever reason, the spark will take the path of least resistance, which may be through the insulator.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Thankfully, the caps are inexpensive (approx $35 per pair) and easy to replace.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
They are under a factory recall. thanks I called the dealer with the vin.
I think you will find that they are not covered by a recall but rather they are referenced in a TSB (technical service bulletin). A recall is a federally mandated safety issue and thus is performed at no charge to the owner whereas a TSB is just tech advice to the technician should the problem occur and the recommended fix.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
MikeSim - you are 100% correct; unfortunately, most people call any sort of bulletin from the manufacturer a "recall."

Back when it existed, Motorcycle Consumer News had a regular column of recalls and which models were effected. I'm sure if you wanted to go to the trouble, you could find similar info on the NHTSA website.

Last edited:
Thankfully, the caps are inexpensive (approx $35 per pair) and easy to replace.
Yes, less than $35 shipped. That was the culprit. Found a mouse's nest in air filter and fortunately the critters hadn't gotten to the wiring! New hard to find NGK plugs also while that deep into the familiarisation with the new to me ride. With above mentioned plugs and ends, plus new air filter, the little gem performed flawlessly on short 85 mile shakedown ride. Quite a different ride than my ST1300 I have in Texas, as my winter ride. Can't imagine going back to a non shaft drive bike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
You'll find that new plugs will last more than 2x the recommended change interval and without any noticeable change in starting ability, acceleration or fuel economy. Honda's recommendations are often very conservative.

OP
OP
I called Honda's 800 number and got a yes there covered and a case number. Called the closest dealer and got back to me with a yes but wanted to make sure his rep would reimburse. He never called back. Called a dealer in Ohio and she said bring it in we will replace. It's a 45 minute ride one way, then getting a ride home and then back. Screw it I ordered off Amazon and did it my self. I think it was 17 and some change for both. Well worth the 17 dollars. Thanks for all your inputs.

Top Bottom