Spark Plug life

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have over 19k miles on the standard NGK plugs in my NT and over the weekend I rode almost 350 miles and it didn't miss a beat. Fuel mileage hasn't suffered and I still got in the mid-50s this weekend. Prior to this weekend, I did have a few incidents where it didn't want to start promptly or ran poorly once running but cleared up. Maybe it was angry that I had been riding my NC700X for so long?

I have new plugs on my workbench so have decided to give my faithful NT a treat. Odometer mileage is now very close to 75k miles. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
When I first got Traveller, I dutifully changed the plugs at the recommended interval. The plugs I removed looked pristine. I then doubled the interval to 16K, still look in excellent shape so now I change 'em at 24K whether they need it or not. I've got a set of NGK Iridiums to put in on the next go around. They should last even longer.

Mike

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I have over 19k miles on the standard NGK plugs in my NT and over the weekend I rode almost 350 miles and it didn't miss a beat. Fuel mileage hasn't suffered and I still got in the mid-50s this weekend. Prior to this weekend, I did have a few incidents where it didn't want to start promptly or ran poorly once running but cleared up. Maybe it was angry that I had been riding my NC700X for so long?

I have new plugs on my workbench so have decided to give my faithful NT a treat. Odometer mileage is now very close to 75k miles. :)
I had a similar incident in January after it had set for a while so I decided to put a bit of additive in the fuel to make sure I hadn't gotten any condensation / moisture. Have not had a problem since. I had just changed plugs when I put the new caps on last year so don't have that many miles on them. Working as a mechanic long ago I found the NGK's to be the best and continue with the same. Truth be told, I have just short of 73K on the NT and am only on my 3rd set of spark plugs. The ones that had the most miles still looked great when I took them out. I think a guy is better off changing plug caps at certain intervals as that seems to be a problem for most. Just my thoughts.

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I changed my spark plugs every 30,000 miles in my cbr600f2 and it ran fine with that many miles on them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had a set in my first Concours that lasted 70K miles. The gap on them was huge, and I expected big improvements in mileage and power when I replaced them, but there wasn't any change in the bike's performance. :-(

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I used to work as an auto mechanic. I've seen spark plugs come out of cars with over 100k miles on them, that still appear to have their normal gap and barely any electrode wear. The modern materials such as platinum and iridium just don't wear out much.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Do they make an iridium spark plug for the NT? When I replaced my plugs last summer, I could not find a replacement iridium.
Kinda sorta... one of the gents on the UK forum quizzed the NGK tech rep across the pond and he advised that the NGK Iridium part # CR8EIX would work fine in the NT. I haven't replaced mine with the Iridiums yet but the gent in the UK said that they worked fine.

Mike

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Kinda sorta... one of the gents on the UK forum quizzed the NGK tech rep across the pond and he advised that the NGK Iridium part # CR8EIX would work fine in the NT. I haven't replaced mine with the Iridiums yet but the gent in the UK said that they worked fine.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I found an NGK upgrade chart, and that is indeed the right plug.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I had a 2002 Ford E350 15 passenger van with the 5.4l motor. At 158,000 miles a coil went out so I decided to replace all 8 coils and at the same time replace all 8 spark plugs. Plugs and coils were factory original and when I pulled the plugs, they had a beautiful tan color and the gap was still within spec. Absolutely amazing.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am not amazed. Plug interval on my Honda CRV is something like 90k to 110 k. I took mine out and they looked fine. Yamaha wants me to change the plugs on my FJR every 10k. Snort. I might pull mine at 20k and see how they look. IF the engine spent its life under racing conditions, ie high pressurers and high temps.....then we could talk. Quality plug last a long time.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Rand is lucky his plugs came out, Ford has a issue with those plugs. The dealer has a charge to change the plugs, and his estimate includes 2 broken plugs: you get a deal if none are broken.
I don't change plugs often, but on the NT you might as well change them a couple of valve adjustments. My R100RT has the right idea for plugs, you can change them is 5 minutes.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I did spray a bit of Aerokriol onto each spark plug before trying to remove them. They all came out easy-peasy. Now getting to them in a van was a whole different story!

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Many years ago, one plug in my son's Civic was a real bear to unscrew and I saw afraid I was removing alum while unscrewing. I sprayed some stuff at the threads but it didn't seem to make much difference. Luckily, it was only carbon causing the problem but I never figured out why that occurred. It had Fi and maybe that one cyl was too rich?

Bike
2010 NT700V
Is any one would know a reliable seller that sell NGK iridium spark And what would be the part number for them. They supposedly fake ones all over the web for sell. Here is a video that describes them and their is a douzain of these vidéo on youtube. So it means they’re out there and difficult to spot.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I just bought a couple of iridiums for my NC700. I got them at the local auto parts, and they were less than half the price of Honda one's. Exact same NGK. The NT valve adjust interval is 8K miles, which I stretch to 12K miles. I change the air filter and plugs at the same time. So I stick with the standard plugs. If you give Napa or O'Reilly's the stock plug number, I am sure they can get iridium replacements at a decent price.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Is any one would know a reliable seller that sell NGK iridium spark And what would be the part number for them. They supposedly fake ones all over the web for sell. Here is a video that describes them and their is a douzain of these vidéo on youtube. So it means they’re out there and difficult to spot.
The NGK part number for the Iridium's is CR8EIX. You can buy them at any reputable auto parts store such as O'Reilly, NAPA, Auto Zone, etc.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just changed the plugs on my FJR at 21K. Looked like they had 1,000 miles on them. Used a bit on anti seize compound on the new ones's threads and a bit of dilectric silicon grease on the ceramic where the coil packs go. And a bit of grease on some contact points of the coil packs where they go into the wells. One thing I learned is that you need to move the packs CW and CCW a bit before pulling them, and even then my old arthritic hands needed some needle nose pack pullers, gently applied.
a plug 3.jpg
a plug 2.jpg

Top Bottom