Spark Plugs - NT700VA - Dumb Questions??

Enty7

1) Question 1: How many spark plugs are there in each cylinder head?
2) Question 2: To access/remove the spark plugs, must I follow the same procedure as outlined in the "Check/Adjust Valves" document? (Remove side panels / Lift Fuel tank etc.)
Note: The Owners Handbook gives a very brief description about the spark plug access/check etc.
Your answers will be appreciated.
Thank you.
regards,
Enty7

Only one spark plug per cylinder head. I've only done it once in 18k miles and it was during a valve inspection so everything was already stripped off. I do know the right side plug is difficult to remove because of various frame members and other components being in the way. By comparison, the left side plus is just a straight shot and easy.

Enty7,
The Owners Manual is good as far as Owners Manuals go--but limited. A Shop manual is a good investment and will pay for itself with the first service you perform---something as simple as changing a bulb in your turn signal, and I can go on.

The only dumb question on this forum is the one you don't ask.

The only dumb question on this forum is the one you don't ask.

+ 1 to that. If we didn't ask questions, we'd never get answers. This group can come up with the right answer to nearly any question about the NT (and I almost didn't say "almost"!).

Hi All,
All the best of the New Year to All!
Whilst on leave for a few days I manged to check the spark plugs.
I followed the steps outlined in the "Checking Valves" routine.
It went very well. Thanks to all involved in that document.
the spark plug gaps were still fine, and in my limited experience, so was the "color".
Checking the spark plugs served as good training for when I have tpo chceck the valves.
Hopefully the photo of the current and new spark plugs gets attached.
Thank you.
Regards,
Enty7
South Africa.

Attachments

• NT700_Sparkplugs (5).jpg
    NT700_Sparkplugs (5).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 161
Only one spark plug per cylinder head. I've only done it once in 18k miles and it was during a valve inspection so everything was already stripped off. I do know the right side plug is difficult to remove because of various frame members and other components being in the way. By comparison, the left side plus is just a straight shot and easy.

The Honda spark plug wrench that comes in the Euro tool kit has a special swivel to get around the frame members.

Hi Warren,
Yes, I used the spark plug wrench from the tool kit, and the swivel works like a dream!

What is the euro tool kit & where do you get the special spark plug wrench.

Thanks,

Nick

I ordered mine from David Silver Spares in the UK. You have to order each tool in th kit separately so you can order just the spark plug wrench if you wanted. If you do a search on this forum there are posts with part numbers and descriptions of the tool kit.

Sam
I would point that most cars today use platinum or iridium plugs which give longer life. The NT uses a standard plug. In general though I agree with your comments.

About the time I got to 60,000 or so miles on my 1st Concours, I was doing a valve adjustment and thought, "Hey, this thing's still got it's original plugs...I think I'll change 'em." I went down to the NAPA store, bought four of the fancy plugs (iridiium, I think) and pulled the old ones. They looked awful. The ceramic was the nice light brown color you want, but the gap was something like 1/8" (maybe not quite that bad, but it was pretty big).

I put the new plugs in and started looking forward to the renewed power and the improved gas mileage. I could hardly wait!

Guess how much difference there was.

You got it! None, Zip, Nada.

NGK does not list a another plug as an equivalent to the standard CPR8EA-9. Some have referenced the DPR8EIX-9 as a possible iridium replacement but I have not tried it and probably will not.

The reason the manufacture wants you to change the plugs so often is because of the EPA emission standards. To make sure the bike is at the mfg's stated values. With that said I put iridium's plugs in my ST1300 and change them at 50k mile intervals. If I can find them for my Wee and my NT they will also go into them.

Just a note. I just bought four NGK CR8E's plugs for my Wee Strom today. Went to the auto parts store and got them for 3.69 ea. vs. 7 bucks + at the dealer. So check with you local auto parts store first to cross ref. your spark plugs. You would be suprised at what will cross ref.

You don't need a special tool to remove the spark plugs. I have a rubber thingy in the proper sized(not sure what that is from memory)socket wrench and can reach the plugs with a socket extension. No problem removing or putting a new one it. I've done it a bunch of times.

NGK does not list a another plug as an equivalent to the standard CPR8EA-9. Some have referenced the DPR8EIX-9 as a possible iridium replacement but I have not tried it and probably will not.

I put the NGK iridium plugs in my NT when I did the 600 mile valve check (where I adjusted six valves out of eight slightly). I recently did the 8K check (no adjustment this time) and checked the plugs as well. The ceramic part was snow white, the gap looked exactly right, and the exposed metal area was the usual tan color. In other words, they were fine and I put them back in. It was 30 degrees here this morning and my baby started on the first crank, just like it always does. I think these plugs (CR8EIX) are very nice! If my bike is not running optimally, I'm too insensitive to detect the problem.

Bill

Last edited:
Belt adjustment maybe every 40,000 miles
Sam I have never had a bike with a belt. I like the shaft drive but a belt may be a very good alternative. (simple, less unsprung weight, etc)
What is your opinion on belt drive?

Brad

So can somebody confirm WHICH iridium spark plugs can - for sure - be used in NT700 (new, injected) engine?
instead of manual-listed CPR8EA-9 (NGK) or U24EPR9 (Denso)
.. thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex,

I'm using the NGK Iridium IX plugs, CR8EIX 4218 plugs with very good results. Of course I only have about 8K miles on them so far. I also don't know what the "4218" part of that number is about, but that's what's on the end of the plug box . . . which I saved. Also, there is no "9" suffix in the base, just CR8EIX.

Bill

So can somebody confirm WHICH iridium spark plugs can - for sure - be used in NT700 (new, injected) engine?

According to Sparkplugs UK there are only Nippon Denso Iridium plugs available for the NT700. The reference is IU24.

The letter A in the CPR8EA-9 means its a special design. Try others at your own risk.

Back
Top Bottom