Spark Plugs - NT700VA - Dumb Questions??

According to Sparkplugs UK there are only Nippon Denso Iridium plugs available for the NT700. The reference is IU24.

That site shows that "original" spark plugs are U24ESR-N, while those are U24EPR-9
i have no idea whether there is a difference between them, but...

Also, very confusing for me is:
- as for NGK, spark plugs to be used are "special design"
- as for Denso, spark plugs to be used are pretty usual and standard, and widely used (IU24, can be ordered even through local Toyota dealership)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the NGK Iridium IX plugs, CR8EIX 4218 plugs with very good results. Of course I only have about 8K miles on them so far. I also don't know what the "4218" part of that number is about, but that's what's on the end of the plug box . . . which I saved. Also, there is no "9" suffix in the base, just CR8EIX.

Bill, thanks for that. I am pretty sure "-9" means 0.9 gap and is omitted quite usually.
I think I'll try that

I purchased a pair if the IU24's and when held up to the stock NGK plug the electrode and insulator are clearly shorter. The stock plug has a projected insulator and the IU24 has a recessed insulator. They may work but I decided not to use them.

Last edited:
IIRC, the shorter the insulator the hotter the plug will be. Have to be careful on plug selection for your bike if you choose a different plug than OEM.

I've just heard about NGK CPR8EAIX-9 as new on the marked and absolute equivalent for cpr8ea-9. Unfortunately not available in Australia yet. Any thoughts / information?

P.S.
have received and installed the above. Can confirm all sizes/geometry match exactly. Hope I'll forget about changing spark plugs for next 100k or more.

20141104_115103.jpg

I know this thread hasn't had any replies in more than a year but I thought I'd let mothers know that I purchased a pair of Iridium plugs for the NT700 from a company named Japan Spark Plugs - see CPR8EAIX-9.

Since the thread is titled “Spark Plugs – NT700VA – Dumb Questions,” this probably is the place to ask this question: Why does Honda recommend changing plugs every 8,000 miles?

With my Concours, I ran one set of plugs for 70,000 miles and then decided, just on general principles, that I should replace them. When I pulled them, the gap was huge, but the ceramic was the right color. I figured I was bound to notice a difference in the way the engine ran and expected an improvement in gas mileage. Wrong! The engine ran the same way and got the same mileage. The 2nd set of plugs in that Connie went another 45,000 miles and the engine was still running great right up till the night I totaled the bike.

What’s different with the NT that it needs new plugs so frequently?

According to NGK the CPR8EAIX-9 plug is the Iridium equivalent of the CPR8EA-9 plug.

The reason for that post was because when I Googled up the NGK CPR8EAIX-9 I was refered to a NGK DPR8EIX-9, which is not the same plug. Evidently only a few sites sell the CPR plug. Make sure you get the CPR and not the DPR........

Since the thread is titled “Spark Plugs – NT700VA – Dumb Questions,” this probably is the place to ask this question: Why does Honda recommend changing plugs every 8,000 miles?

With my Concours, I ran one set of plugs for 70,000 miles and then decided, just on general principles, that I should replace them. When I pulled them, the gap was huge, but the ceramic was the right color. I figured I was bound to notice a difference in the way the engine ran and expected an improvement in gas mileage. Wrong! The engine ran the same way and got the same mileage. The 2nd set of plugs in that Connie went another 45,000 miles and the engine was still running great right up till the night I totaled the bike.

I believe it is just the material it is made from. The standard plugs are copper/nickle which have a much shorter life. Having said that, I first changed Traveller's plugs at 8K per Mother Honda. When I examined them, they were absolutely pristine. I ran the next set to 16K miles and they too were in excellent condition. The next set got changed after 24K miles and they now were finally showing some wear. So, absent a reason to do otherwise, I'm gonna change 'em at 24K miles.

Mike

I'm firmly in the "don't fix what ain't broke" club with spark plugs - I changed mine last summer when I started needing 2 prods of the starter button when cold. Mileage was around 46k miles. Now I'm back to instant starting and I won't pull them for at least another 40k miles or so, unless I get any symptoms.

Graham

Back
Top Bottom