Spedometre question

Morrissey

Spotted another White Wale up here in Canada. A 2010 silver NT for sale. These bikes never came to Canada so there are only a few that people managed to import. Anyways, on to my question. The spedometre is in miles per hour with the kilometres per hour in the small loop underneath. Is it possible to swap out the spedometre to one that has the kilometres in the big loop? Obviously would have to order from Europe or Asia. Would this be a huge undertaking/very expensive to have done? I just don't want to be riding down the highway, forget that the spedometre numbers are in miles and get nabbed doing 100mi/hr instead of 100km/hr!

Thanks

miles can be switched to KM just by toggle buttons on dash, or the ones that change time clock

When Ontario first changed over to metric the licencing offices used to give out small sheets of self adhesive lables to apply over the spedometer. At the time, if you wanted to import a vehicle the spedo needed to be metric, and by using the "stickers" you could meet the requirements. You could apply that aproach.
I agree,it takes no time for you to addjust. If you need to cheat for the first while, a roll of masking tape & a sharpie will get you by, saving coin from fines, and hardware you dont need.
Spend your money on fuel & roll on!

In US the meter assembly will cost you around $350. I would guess it will cost even more to get one from Europe in km/hr. If it were me I would either train my brain or put some marks on the lens with a Sharpie

When I've been in Canada, I've always had a GPS and just switched it to show speeds and distances in kilometers. A refurbished GPS that would show kilometers can be found easily for under $100.

But, my brain has gotten pretty good at translating after riding/driving up there for several weeks in the last three years.

When I lived in Germany I just got some colored striping tape and put them on at the std limits, like 50, 80, 100km/h. It's easy once you realize 100km/h is just over 60mph. Then 50km/h is 30mph.

Phil expressed my thoughts. I use a GPS unit always, so that's what I look at for speed. You can get them cheap, nowadays, much less than the cost of a new speedo unit.

snip...
[Edit] I still refuse to ride or drive in countries where they drive on the wrong side!!! I doubt very much I would survive long enough to adapt.
So, for us, that means you don't ride or drive in the US...:rofl1:

I still refuse to ride or drive in countries where they drive on the wrong side!!! I doubt very much I would survive long enough to adapt.

I used to be intimidated by that thought until I actually did it. But I've been to Ireland 4 times now, and even with a manual transmission there's no particular problem adapting.

On the other hand, 80 km/hr shoulderless roads the width of driveways lined with foliage-covered rock walls do take some getting used to.:rolleyes1:

And you can be out in the country, enjoying your ride, come over a hill, and find . . . a flock of sheep crossing the road.

I used to be intimidated by that thought until I actually did it. But I've been to Ireland 4 times now, and even with a manual transmission there's no particular problem adapting.

On the other hand, 80 km/hr shoulderless roads the width of driveways lined with foliage-covered rock walls do take some getting used to.:rolleyes1:
The best riding road in the UK is not far from where I used to live. The A591 between Keswick and Ambleside. This road has the near perfect combination of time spent in corners and straights - Mathematically proven by a quantum physicist, Dr Mark Hadley – plus an F1 track designer Hermann Tilke and a roller coaster designer John Wardley.

If you check out the link you'll see that, in parts, it has 70 mph stretches with no shoulder and the rest is nearly all 60 mph, except in the towns, with dry stone walls lining it.

I used to ride this road a couple of times a week on a CBR600 and it is brilliant. Better than the Cat and Fiddle IMO. It has steep climbs, and descents, all types of bends and some quite long straights. Oh and the views are magnificent. Speeds well in excess of the national limit are possible, and even safe due to the road design, in many places.

The three mathematically proven best roads in the UK are:
  1. The A591 from Kendal to Keswick in the Lake District.
  2. Second is the B3515 which runs from Cheddar to Ashwick.
  3. In third place, is the A535 from Holmes Chapel to Alderley Edge in Cheshire.
The Cat and Fiddle is not in the top 3 even, though, it is an amazing road (though too dangerous with idiots losing control IMO).

Last edited:
80 km/hr shoulderless roads the width of driveways lined with foliage-covered rock walls do take some getting used to.

LOL! I watched some video of the Isle of Mann TT last week and that is absolutely horrifying.

Those dang guard rails with the cable remind me of cheese slicers.

Colorado has put a lot of them in. I wrote CDOT when they started and told them that I thought they would be killers for motorcyclists. They told me I was wrong. But they didn't document that assertion.

I hate 'em.

Well, yeah, you. But I think about the poor folks who have to clean up the mess.

One of my acquaintances in Fort Morgan was riding some county roads one night and forgot about a 90-degree turn. Plus, he didn't see the sign. He still almost made the corner, but ended up hitting a barbed-wire fence and cut his left thigh to the bone. He put his belt on as a tourniquet and rode back 15 miles to the ER. He was only doing about 25 when he hit the fence.

I still don't want to be sliced cheese.

LOL! I watched some video of the Isle of Mann TT last week and that is absolutely horrifying.

Wrong!

That's what I call fun. It's also one of the reasons I won't take my bike to the IOM because I'd kill myself.

Incidently, out side of the towns and villages, there's no speed limit on the IOM. It's one of the reasons the TT can be run there and not in the rest of the UK. As I recall there's only a couple of pieces of dual carriageway totalling more more than about 3 or 4 miles. The rest are normal 2 lane roads.

John, I've got to admit that it's great fun to watch. And I'd love to ride the Mountain Course, but in those tight stretches I sure wouldn't be riding like those folks do. Or, for that matter, not even on the open stretches.

Back
Top Bottom