Speedometer not reading correctly

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Anyone experience this?

Within an hour of a 4 hour ride in a downpour of epic proportions, I looked down at the speedo and noticed the needle bouncing around between 20-30mph. I judged I was doing about 50mph at the time. I got kinda nervous about it thinking water had gotten into the works and wondered if other components would start to fail, i.e. the infamous short circuit in the light switch.

At about 2 1/2 hours into the trip, the speedo starts reading sporadically normal. A while later and she appears to be reading completely normal again. I couldn't compare it to the gps due to visibility issues (yes, the downpour continued throughout the entire trip), however, it seemed like it was reading accurately again.

Aside from what may have caused this condition, and why it didn't continue since the rain never stopped and my speed was fairly consistent throughout the trip... has anyone else experienced this condition? If so, is there a fix or is this another 'feature'?

Thoughts?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Thoughts?
Dumb question maybe but I have to ask.... Where you possibly hydro planning in all that water when the display was acting weird? That will give some really weird speedometer readings just like driving on ice can..... Even though the rain continued once you were out of the deeper water the speedometer would read correctly again....

skiper

Larry , when I rode your bike at my so-called "3,333" RPM which is 49 MPH on my machine was 47-48 on yours. Probably a normal deviation - just to be noted..

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
With the OEM BT-020s the 3,333 rpm should be 47.07mph. Different tires will have slightly different outside diameters and speed vs rpm will vary a little.

OP
OP
Fieroguy

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Quick update... after sitting in my 'dehumidifier conditioned' garage for two days, I took the bike out today for a ride to the dealer for it's annual state inspection. Checked speedometer to gps and it was a perfect match. Asked the resident mechanic about it and he said the same as Tattoo Paul... check that connector and good luck getting to it.

Since it didn't cause any adverse problems, I probably won't worry about it. My only concern is that someday down the road the speedometer will stop working and the problem will be traced to a 'hard to reach' corroded 3-prong connector located "just ahead of where the driveshaft goes into the transmission". :doh1:

Top Bottom