Splash and dash oil change

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I have thought (probably too much) about the oil change intervals on my NT. At first, I thought: Honda knows what they are doing. If they say 8,000 miles, then I'll go 8,000 miles. I just can't do it. I'm sure their engineers are right, but I just can't do it. I get 3 free services per year with my maintenence agreement. So, I used one for the break in service, one for the 8k service (done at 6700 miles) with tire change and I have one remaining. I'll save that for the next major service.
So I made a decision to compromise. I am now at 9700 miles and my next service will be at around 15-16,000 miles. I am going to just drain and replace the oil myself between the 8,000 mile services without changing the filter. I changed it out this afternoon and it the oil coming out after 3000 miles looked as good as the oil I put in. I'm going on a 2000 mile ride in a week or so and I feel good with the decision.
I know there is no right or wrong answer in any discussion on oil change intervals, but I thought I would pass on my thoughts and my compromise.

--Jeff

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The answer is, "what ever makes one comfortable" It is your motorcycle. As long one does not exceed the recommended interval of oil changes, do what you are comfortable with.

Bike
2010 NT700V
In the old days, if the drained oil was clean, we suspected it was not doing its job and changed brands. Used oil was SUPPOSED to be dark. One of its main jobs was to carry carbon contaminants out of the engine. With modern engines, the fuel injection and ring seal are so much better, that the amount of contamination is way below what it used to be. Think about what the dipstick on your 1960 Chevy or Ford would look like 500 miles after an oil change. Black. Now, you can change oil, drive 1000 miles and you have to squint to even see the oil on the stick. Amazing. And good for our engines.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
8000 mile intervals are fine with the synthetic oils. I always change the filter when I change the oil because the filter is what catches the grunge. With the K&N 204, the filter comes off easy with a 17mm box wrench. I split the difference with the Honda recommendation and change every 6000 mi. Now, if you are going to store the bike for the winter, I recommend storing with fresh oil and filter.

Top Bottom