Spokane to San Juan Island via North Cascades Highway

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Last Friday, my wife Sharon and I took off from Spokane and took the North Cascades Highway to Burlington, WA then hopped onto the ferry at Anacortes for the ride to San Juan Island and Friday Harbor. It was a beautiful ride and I will post a few pics her and in my photo gallery. She rode the 2014 Spyder RT-S and I rode the NT. Because of some time issues, we decided to take the slab back on Monday, and I have to say to you westsiders, I-5 and I-405 scare the s*** out of me. You are some brave people commuting in the metro Seattle area.

Anyway, we saw glaciers, Mtn. goats, elk, deer, the desert and mountain country, the ocean, orcas, seals, and essentially every sort of insect known to the world. I have never ridden the NCH on a bike, and it had been 25+ years since I had traveled it in a car. State Highway 20 is a bucket list must for anyone living in Washington or a visitor touring this gorgeous state. IMHO

Attachments

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Last Friday, my wife Sharon and I took off from Spokane and took the North Cascades Highway to Burlington, WA then hopped onto the ferry at Anacortes for the ride to San Juan Island and Friday Harbor. It was a beautiful ride and I will post a few pics her and in my photo gallery. She rode the 2014 Spyder RT-S and I rode the NT. Because of some time issues, we decided to take the slab back on Monday, and I have to say to you westsiders, I-5 and I-405 scare the s*** out of me. You are some brave people commuting in the metro Seattle area.

Anyway, we saw glaciers, Mtn. goats, elk, deer, the desert and mountain country, the ocean, orcas, seals, and essentially every sort of insect known to the world. I have never ridden the NCH on a bike, and it had been 25+ years since I had traveled it in a car. State Highway 20 is a bucket list must for anyone living in Washington or a visitor touring this gorgeous state. IMHO
True, dat (about SH 20).

As far as the Seattle interstates, well, we take it in stride. Frankly, it seems quite normal to travel these highways. I have to stay alert (unpredictable drivers), but I have to do that on Whidbey Island, as well (unpredictable deer) and down in Central Oregon (unpredictable deer, again). The two-lanes really aren't any safer. We had a fatal accident here on Hwy 525 on Valentine Day when a woman unexpectedly lurched into the opposing lane, killing the occupant of another car. And deer collisions have killed several bikers here on WI, and I know several guys who spent months in hospital/rehab due to deer or auto encounters. Ain't no safe place, though I can see how you can get intimidated by the various automotive beasts lurking alongside with the drivers texting away :eek1:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I love the North Cascades Highway! Spectacular scenery and, at least the times I've been on it, not too much traffic. I did have to wait once for a Huey to lift a boulder out of the middle of the road, but since I was the first vehicle in line, that just added to the thrill.

Top Bottom