SPOT GPS locator service

Don't know about Spotwalla but SPOTnow has monthly service options, ie, only pay for the month you will be using it.

DeeG, I didn't see your answer before. How much is the acartex system and service? I guess I need a tutorial. It seemed to me that SPOT and acartex use the same set of satellites for communication? I must be wrong on this in some manner.

I guess the real limitation is if you don't have line of sight to the satellites (in canyons and such).

I am like Bob, I used to insist on using my phone for everything. It worked but it is also a single point failure item. I am 'regressing' to having multiple electronic gizmos. My problem is getting to be security. Can't put em all in the cans cause no signals get through. But, can't leave them on the bike unattended. :( Decisions, decisions.

And I am still thinking of carrying an ELT type unit on solo trips. Don't know how I would wire it.

Basic problem is I am looking at solo trips on roads where there are few other people.

I used a SPOT 2 for tracking on the Epic Ride. I've read that the SPOT 2 eats batteries, but my experience has been different. I replaced batteries about 3 times in the first six weeks of the Ride, but since then the same Lithium Ion batteries have lasted much longer. The ones that are in the SPOT now have been there since Massachusetts and early September. I like having something that will help people find me. I agree that's SPOT tracking is pretty expensive.

But I've also got MedJet Elite and it's expensive, too, but if I ever need either one, they'll seem cheap.

I've got a Zumo 350LMP and am reasonably happy with it. I would have been happy forever with my GPS Street Pilot 2730, but the display went away on it.

I use my phone for a...phone. It's too smart for me.

Question: do you really need a GPS on a 100CCC? Depending on your route, isn't it just I-10 for 4 days?[/QUOTE]

You are so right - you just hang on and point her West and then point her East - hard to get lost. Besides, I'd done that route many times as a trucker - in fact, as much as possible, I stopped at the same truck stops for fuel just to travel down memory's lane (that was my version of stopping and smelling the roses - or diesel fumes). The thread on the Spearfish rally talks about the go-with-the-flow travel. I did that with my fuel stops on the 100CCC. I used an 15 year old truckers interstate exit guide to figure out my options for my next fuel stop - and it worked just fine. Nevertheless I was the odd man out with no GPS. Wendell

SPOT can be useful, but if it were MY life, I'd go with something like this:

http://www.acrartex.com/landing/resqlink-resqlinkplus-personal-locator-beacons/

I'm on the answering end of the phone when SPOT and AFRCC calls. Last time I dealt with SPOT, I had a nice 30 minute conversation with the guy about SPOT's limitations. And I wasn't happy with them.

Yeah, you're not going to get the breadcrumb and other little 'whizz bang' things, but when you're out in the sticks and its a 400 milliwatt signal or a 5 watt signal trying to get through the tree canopy or thick cloud cover.....

I just wish these products were like my aircraft ELT. Don't have to manually push the button.

Dee G, how much does the service cost with these devices from acratex?

Yes, I use the Gen 2 Spot. Bought it for my trip to Spearfish last summer to ease my wife's apprehension. I use it regularly on my rides outside of Albuquerque. I use the tracking feature (which shows up on the laptop or ipad at home) as well as the "I'm OK" button at the end of each day's ride when I shut it off.
I also paid the $18.00 annual fee to cover retrieval / extraction from any terrain or location ANYWHERE. Nice peace of mind for me if I ever need to call SOS. The whole package costs about $150 a year, but I save way more than that using a cheap prepaid phone!
This customer is very pleased and would reccommend to anyone involved in outdoor activities.

I use an app called Life360 that my wife can use to track me when on long trips, text me, there is a live advisor that can help me or get me roadside service and there is a panic button

Cost: $0.00

I checked out Life360 and it looks great. I'm getting it. And you can't beat free. Of course, it does require you to be within cell tower range - but it is free. Wendell

Back
Top Bottom