SS1K Top Tips

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I hadn't thought about it for a long time, but my brother brought it up and now I'm thinking about maybe an attempt at an SS1K. The first thing I need to sort out is in the interest of odometer and GoogleMaps discrepancies. Is there a rule of thumb for how much cushion to build into the ride to mitigate any differences that might disqualify the ride?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, my first SS1K back in '99 was 1012.5 miles according to MS S&T, my '99 Concours odometer reading was 1028, and the Iron Butt Association calculated it as 1019. I've never used Google maps to plan my rides, but I've found that S&T almost always calculates things within a few miles of their calculations. They advise a 5% excess to be sure, so you might want to shoot for a 1025 mile route. We rode from Ft Morgan to North Platte, NE; through Valentine, NE to Murdo, SD; stopped for gas in Sturgis and rode on to Gillette, WY. South to Douglas, WY, and Cheyenne on I-25, then US-85 to Greeley and US-34 back to Ft Morgan.

Remember that a 1000 miles / 24 hours is a 41.66mph pace. That means that you've got plenty of time. When my buddy and I did that first one, we hit thick fog about 100 miles after we got started. We were doing well to ride at 45mph for close to 80 miles. We stopped for breakfast at McDonalds in North Platte for maybe 20 minutes. Then in Sturgis, a very strong thunderstorm hit just as we finished gassing up, so we ate lunch for close to an hour and a half before it passed. In Gillette, the temperature was up to 100F and we stopped at a Dairy Queen for 30 minutes or so. Then in Cheyenne, it was raining hard again and we stopped for another hour until it slacked off. So, we were stopped for 3 1/2 hours for eating, plus probably another hour for gas stops. It helped that my Connie and Jim's Goldwing both could go 250+ miles between fuel stops.

Our total time was about 19 hours, 20 minutes.

The hardest SS1K I've ever done was one that was connected with an Iron Butt Association National Meeting. I rode from Denver to Walsenburg to Alamosa to Farmington to Cortez to Moab to Green River (UT) and back to Denver. I was in hard rain from before Green River until I got back to Denver. That one took me 21 1/2 hours and I didn't spend much time stopped and eating.

Just be sure to get start and ending odometer witnesses (which don't have to be done immediately before or after) and document each stop and especially fuel stops and corners of your route with good receipts. When I did the first SS1K ever done on an NT700V, I had a terrible time getting a good receipt in Dodge City. They kept not having a time stamp and I had a hard time getting a clerk to sign his name and validate a hand-written time.

Enjoy! I love SS1Ks and will probably do some more before I hang it up.

Top Bottom