Staying Cool in High Humidity

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
After a daytrip last summer with my daughter when the temps were about 104 with very high humidity, I realized that at my age I was flirting with trouble and I needed to finds ways to protect myself while riding in summer heat. I think I have found the combination that works for me.

Back during the winter, I took the recommendation of a bunch of you and bought some LD Comfort riding underwear. I figured two sets would do it for a multi-day ride as they wash up easily in a motel sink and take up little space. Later, I also bought their helmet liner. (More on that later.)

The LD Comfort synthetic base layer is everything other owners have bragged on. They’re great. I sweat a lot and the LD stuff wicks away the moisture very well. Let me add my recommendation to that of others.

Next was a Macna cooling vest. I just updated my review thread on the Macna . Bottom line is that though the vest won’t keep you as cool as an air-conditioned cage, it will keep you a little cooler even in high humidity and help lower your core temperature. I recommend it.

I also needed a better way to stay hydrated. I’ve resisted having a tank bag for some time, but now that I have one (the Bags-Connection Day Pack from Twisted Throttle ) I keep a bottle of drinking water in it, as well as a smaller bottle of water for the cooling vest. I can pull out the drinking water while riding (though I usually stop to drink) and the system works well. I find I am much better hydrated than only drinking at fueling stops. This may be TMI, but I used to pee bright orange after a trip – that’s a bad sign that I wasn’t drinking enough water. That’s no longer the case.

Above, I mentioned the LD Comfort helmet liner – and I love it. But, I also purchased a new helmet and I can’t tell if the improvement is because of the helmet or the helmet liner or both.
I used to have a totally soaked head when I got home from any summer ride – even a commute home. The LD liner is nothing more than a do-rag made from the same synthetic material as the LD Comfort underwear. It works – and works well. My helmet liner is no longer soaked – in fact, even after a 6 ? hour ride yesterday in mid to high 90 temps with high humidity, it was no more than damp when I got home.

But, I had an unexpected benefit from my new helmet. I used to wear a Nolan N90 and have been very happy with it, but it was getting a big long in the tooth and showing its age. I bought a Shoei Neotech as my new lid – and was very surprised at the huge difference in ventilation. Wow! I can actually feel the difference when I open/close the vent. Between the Neotech and the LD Comfort do-rag, my head is much cooler.

It used to be that I was very tired after a long ride in the south Texas summer heat, but last night after returning from Houston, I enjoyed dinner with the wife and watched a couple more episodes of Breaking Bad on the tube. Nice way to end the day.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Glad to hear all that's working for you, Doug. I didn't have the cooling vest on the Epic Ride last summer, but stayed decently comfortable all the way from San Diego to Key West to Newfoundland.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
One thing I left out, Phil, (though I mentioned it in the updated review of the Macna) is the fact that I wear a mesh jacket. Sometime in the future, I'd like to change over to a textile jacket with arm vents and see if that improves the performance of the cooling vest and the LD Comfort gear.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
One thing I left out, Phil, (though I mentioned it in the updated review of the Macna) is the fact that I wear a mesh jacket. Sometime in the future, I'd like to change over to a textile jacket with arm vents and see if that improves the performance of the cooling vest and the LD Comfort gear.
I switched from an Olympia mesh (AirGlide3) to the Olympia AST2 and I think it has helped just having the arm and chest vents and vents out the back

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Oh - a question I'd like to ask of those who wear the LD Comfort underwear.

Some of you have described how you soak the arms and upper body of the shirt with water and that is a good way to cool down. Before I got the Macna vest, I tried that method.

And yes - it worked for a short while (remember, I'm wearing mesh) but my question is this: how did you soak the shirt? When I tried to pour water on the LD gear, most of it was repelled. The only way I found to soak the short was to soak a washcloth first, then slap that on the shirt and let it soak in slowly.

There must be an easier way.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Oh - a question I'd like to ask of those who wear the LD Comfort underwear.

Some of you have described how you soak the arms and upper body of the shirt with water and that is a good way to cool down. Before I got the Macna vest, I tried that method.

And yes - it worked for a short while (remember, I'm wearing mesh) but my question is this: how did you soak the shirt? When I tried to pour water on the LD gear, most of it was repelled. The only way I found to soak the short was to soak a washcloth first, then slap that on the shirt and let it soak in slowly.

There must be an easier way.
Its sort of hit and miss where you get it, but stick a water bottle into the neck of the shirt and try to aim it where you want water. Over the shoulder,,,down the arm down your front etc
Once your shoirt goeas back against your body the water will soak in

bicyclist

I ran into a guy at the Beartooth Rendezvous a few years ago who was selling an interesting cooling rig. It consisted of a ring of tubing that went under your collar and had a series of holes in it. It was connected to a piece of tubing that ran to a flexible water bag. The idea was to give the bag a squeeze every now and then and water would run out of the holes and soak your shirt. Made it easy to re-soak while riding. It would be simple and cheap to make a similar rig.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Veskimo is another option that looks interesting - http://www.veskimo.com/

I learned of this one while at Twisted throttle's open house. Karl and I listened to a long distance rider talk from NH about what he brings with him on his journeys. TT sponsors him - he has MS and the effects of it are heightened when his core temperature increases, so he uses this product to help him keep cool.

Interesting fellow. He gets sponsored and give talks around the country as he rides his way to a million miles to raise money for MS research.

This is his blog: www.longhaulpaul.com

He set a world record in 2013 by completing the Saddlesore 1000 (1k miles/24 hours) on one hundred different bikes.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the report on the Macna vestI am glad to hear tht it is working, , Anw welcome to the Happy owners of LDCOMFORT.

I have not done this modification my
selfeSo I am only passing on hear say and what I have read.THere are several of the very serious Iron butt rally veterans who hav set up a Windshield washer system on their bikes so all they have to do is touch the button and get a good batch of water, be it cool , Iced or whatever. I imagine one could get rather creative with placement of multiple tubes of winshield Washer tubing to get it to give you a shot of nice dampening water where ever you would choose to run it to.I think I could mention names here but I am not certain, that I would be accuarat. If Ray Bob happens to see this maybe he will chime in and offer some more words of wisdom.

Regards,

Eldon

Last edited:
Top Bottom