Steering damper

Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
Hello and happy holidays to whoever may see this.
Not sure which section to ask this question so here it is.
I have never owned a bike with a steering damper, but if ever I had one that needed it I feel the NT700v is it. It takes a very steady hand and concerted effort to keep the bike on my desired line within a curve.
Do others feel this way?
Is anyone using a steering damper that would like to share their experience?
Thanks

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've never felt the need for a steering damper on my NT. It is quite stable in turns and holds the line I set very well. You might want to check your tire pressures and make sure they are up to snuff. Also, you may want to inspect, lube and adjust the steering stem bearings. Different brands of tires react differently on the bike so when it's time for a new set, ask around on the forum and see what is working well for the other owners.

Hope this helps;

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Several other thoughts occured to me after posting the above. Should you find a need to replace the steering stem bearings a good choice for replacement are the All Balls tapered roller bearings.... A good investment...
Finally, and this is no reflection on your riding prowess, but it is something I have learned over the years. If you are riding in the Twisties and you are concentrating on the road immediately in front of you, you will find that you will have to constantly correct your desired line . Keep your vision more focused on further down the road and you will find after some practice and adjustment you will set up your line and retain it through the curve.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I want to agree with everything Mike said. The only time I've felt any difficulty with holding a line with my NTs was on CA-1k between Leggett and the coast. It's a very twisty stretch of road and we'd ridden a lot of miles in the two days before. My friend who was riding with me stopped me and told me that I was watching the road right in front of me instead of looking into the turns. He was right! Things got better for me right away. And after a good night's sleep, I was a whole bunch better the day after that.

I did replace the steering bearings on my 1st NT at about 50,000 miles. I used the All-Balls tapered roller bearings and they were still good when I traded the bike in '20, when it had 139,000 miles on it.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
trace it to the tires. if you are using cheaper tires, or past the useful time limits, can make your line wander. front = Dunlop RoadSmart 4, rear = Michelin PR5

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Inflation pressure
tire wear
shock preload
head bearings
wheel bearings
fork bushings
swing-arm bearings
(barn-door sized aftermarket screen)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The front tire would be #1 on my suspect list. And how often do you check tire pressures?

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
Thank you guys so much for your replies. The bike now has about 10,000 miles. When I first got it I went through everything I could on it including checking the forks for binding and free play. But I now recall the seller, an intermediary saying he installed a new front tire. I'll start with that and read through the tires forum.
I just checked and I'm running :

Front - Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300 F
120 / 70 Z R17

Rear - Bridgestone Battlax BTO 20R (Radial U)
150 / 70 Z R17

The front is stock size but definitely not the stock tire and maybe a total mismatch for the rear.
The rear is the stock tire but is in the red for tread depth at 2/32" center and yellow mid way to the edge at 5/32"

Sounds like a recipe for the handling ills I am dealing with. Sometimes one looks right past the obvious but I'm glad to have learned some things from your collective advice.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Front - Dunlop Sportmax GPR 300 F 120 / 70 Z R17
The weight rating (should be 58W) would be interesting...
A brief search unveiled a soft carcass...
Officially not rated for the NT700 by Honda (mind that we've stricter regs about roadworthyness in the EC...)

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
Returning to motorcycling after 35 years, I went around corners like threepenny bits (a British idiom). Negotiating car parks was exciting and dangerous. I thought that I had simply lost my old ability. Then last summer, I rebuilt my forks. I had to scrape out solidified grunge. The internal sliders/bearing plates were replaced. (I replaced the rear shock in 2020.) Now, the bike goes just where I want it.

Attachments

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Like Mike, I have never had a problem with the NT in turns or anywhere for that matter. I did have one set of tires that did not like turns. Those went away and no problems since. And to note, I do like my twisties. Note my profile pic was on Tail of the Dragon, one handed in a turn. Absolutely love how the NT feels in turns.

Top Bottom