Stereo and Speakers

hubba730

Any one put stereo and speakers on yet? I was looking at the fairing grills and trying to decide on size of speakers, where to get them, how to put them in, etc...Also was looking for some type of handlebar mounted receiver with built in amp, MP3, FM/AM capabilities. Any thoughts out there? Oh yeah, regarding the speakers, I checked out the Honda of Bournemouth (Sp?) site from the UK and did the currency converter. Seems a little expensive for two little speakers.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Been thinking along these lines myself lately. Advantage of the Honda speakers is you know they will fit and are intended for motorcycle service. They shouldn't disintegrate the first time it rains.

boss57uk

Any one put stereo and speakers on yet? I was looking at the fairing grills and trying to decide on size of speakers, where to get them, how to put them in, etc...Also was looking for some type of handlebar mounted receiver with built in amp, MP3, FM/AM capabilities. Any thoughts out there? Oh yeah, regarding the speakers, I checked out the Honda of Bournemouth (Sp?) site from the UK and did the currency converter. Seems a little expensive for two little speakers.
like you i think they are a lot expensive for what they are, noway would i pay that price.. so i still looking.

johnha

If you've had the 'Meter Cover' off yet you will see that there is very little space back there, and what space there is is weirdly shaped. I'd be interested in seein a pic of one of the Honda speakers, but not interested enough to spend the time looking for one.

maxweljames

boss57uk

If you've had the 'Meter Cover' off yet you will see that there is very little space back there, and what space there is is weirdly shaped. I'd be interested in seein a pic of one of the Honda speakers, but not interested enough to spend the time looking for one.
here they are mate... no way would i pay the asking price for a pair of speakers like these

http://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/products/locks-electricals-scottoiler-384/nt700v-deauville-speaker-kit-14429.aspx

Get yourself some custom moulded in-ear speakers and an ipod/MP3 player. It's a much more satisfactory setup and you protect your ears as a bonus..
I remember test riding a 650 Deauville with stereo a while back and wasn't over impressed. Wind noise takes a large percentage of the volume once you start moving. At high speed you knew you were listening to something but weren't sure what.

elizilla

I remember visiting a friend from another forum, once, when I passed through his hometown. We rode a few miles together, to get some ice cream. I followed because he was the local and knew where the ice cream parlor was. On the way there I kept imagining I could hear a variety of Abba songs. Which seemed weird - usually earworms repeat the same song endlessly until you're about to go mad.

When we got to the ice cream place, I realized my friend had on-bike speakers. I didn't hear his music well enough to be sure it was real, but I heard it well enough to recognize the songs and get a series of earworms.

boss57uk

Get yourself some custom moulded in-ear speakers and an ipod/MP3 player. It's a much more satisfactory setup and you protect your ears as a bonus..
I remember test riding a 650 Deauville with stereo a while back and wasn't over impressed. Wind noise takes a large percentage of the volume once you start moving. At high speed you knew you were listening to something but weren't sure what.
thats basically what i do, I wear a Nolan 103 so just waiting for swmbo to buy me the bluetooth adapter for it

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Late entry but the Jensen JHD910 is a perfect set up for bar mounting, has output for speakers and aux out to helmet speakers, plus takes aux in for MP3 player. Now they just came out with a bluetooth version but the price is stoopid.

CSMRider

I just bought the JHD910. It hasn't come in the mail yet, but has shipped. I going to try to figure out how to move it without to much trouble, between the NT and the Ural. I'm glad to hear you can go directly into helmet speakers. Hopefully the Autocom connector will work. That's what I plan to do on my NT. I will probably try to figure out how to mount it centered using the riser bolts. Now on the Ural I will get the handlebar mount and the external speakers, and just mount in the sidecar. I can't wait...part of my zen is listening to Click & Clack while running down the endless miles in Wyoming. Those in the East may not believe it, but you can run at 80 mph for over and hour between towns. Hell our biggest now is not much over 50,000 people.

At any rate Digger please let me know your set up on the JHD910. I need some ideas...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Those in the East may not believe it, but you can run at 80 mph for over and hour between towns. Hell our biggest now is not much over 50,000 people.

Like I've said before, any state that has more pronghorn antelopes than people must be doing something right!

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Having had speakers (with a tape player) mounted in the Calafia fairing on my GL1000, I found it totally unsatisfactory. Now, of course, this didn't have anything like automatic adjustment for ambient noise level. But in addition to the blaring when going through towns at slower speeds, the very large problem is that I typically listen to symphonic music and operas. This stuff is very dynamic in sound level. There's no way you hear those "ppp" sections, and the "fff" gets distorted big time (and blares all the more) when using those itty bitty speakers you usually see. A great example of this is "Also Sprach Zarathustra". Even "Sunrise" (the opening section everyone is familiar with from "2001") starts out with a slowly building crescendo. And the final piece (The Night Wanderer) fades off so softly and elegantly you'd never hear it.

Now if all you listen to has the same level and beat all the way through (such as most Rock), you can probably live with this problem.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
# 1 on this. Put a headset in your helmet, buy/build a small amp and use your mp3 player. Nobody else has to listen to your music, and it also requires you to wear your helmet to be able to have music. Two things I hate the most is Loud pipes and loud mobile music. The fidelity of music over outside speakers on a motorcycle is just awful. Save your hearing and mine also.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Lori, weather resistant/proof is a big thing. Even behind the grills, rain or moisture will find its way inside, either riding or parked. At IMS Feb 2012 I found this guy selling a kit http://www.extremecycleradio.com/, I haven't got it yet, need to get different seat and windshield first, then that kit is next. I haven't found this website by google searches on "motorcycle radio", so good to see him at the show.

Top Bottom