Sticking rear brake pedal

Took off yesterday for a quick ride, stopped at the intersection near our house, and my brakes partially locked up. Turns out the culprit was a sticking rear brake pedal. Because of the NT's linked brake system, the sticking pedal kept the rear brake and also the left front brake on.

You'd think that removing and greasing the pivot for the brake pedal would be an easy job. But wait, this is the NT we are talking about. The pedal pivot and the rear master cylinder are both mounted on the inside of the right "step holder." To get complete access, you need to remove the right rear saddlebag, drain the rear brake circuit and unbolt the brake lines from the master cylinder, and then remove the step holder with the master cylinder and rear pedal as a unit.

I decided to go the WD-40 route for now. Just took off the front bolts on the step holder so it could swing out about 3/4 inch, then sprayed WD-40 on the brake pedal pivot while operating the brake pedal. Freed up fairly quickly.

This is not an ideal fix and I will keep my eye on the pedal from now on. When I get into the saddlebag assembly again, or have lots of time on my hands, I plan to do the proper repair of removing the step holder, pulling the pedal from its pivot pin, and cleaning and re-lubing the assembly.

Just a reminder to everyone to include a check of rear brake pedal operation as part of routine checks.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's been a while but I had that assy partially disassembled to readjust the brake light switch and probably greased the brake pedal shaft at the same time. :)

Top Bottom