Stiffness in Windshield Adjustments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I will see if I could snap a picture of the page in the shop manual and post it here.
Please don't post it here. That is a potential copyright violation and we will delete the post. Please use other methods for sending anything like that...

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Please don't post it here. That is a potential copyright violation and we will delete the post. Please use other methods for sending anything like that...
Would a picture of the windshield bracket be an acceptable media and a perceived copyright violation?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I looked at my manual and it shows as Turbo describes. The blowup pic shows the rubber washer against the bolt head. It appears this is a shouldered bolt and the shoulder should go through the rubber washer and the windscreen stay.
I've never disassembled the screen but it appears once the screen is off you can compare one slider to the other and help locate the problem. Of course that is easier said than done.

Brad

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I looked at my manual and it shows as Turbo describes. The blowup pic shows the rubber washer against the bolt head. It appears this is a shouldered bolt and the shoulder should go through the rubber washer and the windscreen stay.
Typically a rubber washer is used as a damper or as a seal between a mating surface and a washer followed by a nut similar to the general diagram below.

I think the stack up should go something more like this from the outside to inside.

Bolt Head - Bracket - Rubber Washer - Flat Washer - Slide Arm. This is more logical without anything to the contrary.

All the rubber washer does beneath the bolt head is squeeze out under any amount of torque and offers no benefit.

I got nothing to lose trying it as I described.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I am just getting this from the book, I have not had to disassemble mine. Also the flat washer appears to be a different hole size so that it tightens against the shoulder of the bolt. That would keep from squeezing out the rubber washer and allow a little bit of give to let the windshield move and flex a bit as needed and to prevent the binding.

Brad

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I played around this the stack up of all the hardware. It works out that many of you are right on the order.

Bolt Head - Rubber Washer - Bracket - Flat Washer - Slide Arm.

This is no other way that this would work out. This exercise only proved that my rails are worst off than I previously expected. Movement is not smooth and there are excessive amounts of cantilever movement of the windshield when locked into any position.

Quite honestly the rubber washer is too soft and squeezes out under any amount of tightness. A plastic washer would be better suited for this task than a rubber one. Finding one of the correct sizes might be challenging though.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A plastic washer would be better suited for this task than a rubber one. Finding one of the correct sizes might be challenging though.
My local Ace Hardware is my go to place for nuts and bolts "stuff'. They always seem to have the odd parts no one else carries...

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
We have True Values in my area and they are hit and miss these days. Ace Hardware is not widespread in my geographics. Both Home Depot and Lowes has killed the local hardware stores. You cannot seem to find anything in these stores when it comes to hardware. I always have Mcmaster-Carr when all else fails.

I will address this once I replace the rail assemblies. No sense to address something that will have to take apart several more times.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hello All,

I received and replaced the rails yesterday evening. The procedure to replace these required tearing off all the forward bodywork. Replacement and reassembly of everything took about 2 hours.

After the replacement of both the rails the movement improved considerably. However, the issue is not fully resolved. It required plenty of adjustments to windshield get it functioning better than before.

MuffinTop

Where and how did you find the rubber rail covers for these bikes? I need a set as mine have cracked and broken in a few places.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Where and how did you find the rubber rail covers for these bikes? I need a set as mine have cracked and broken in a few places.
I personally like PartsFish.com. They have them for less than $2 each, Honda NT700V UPPER COWL

It is not easy to get them installed properly without removing the cowl set cover, because of the multiple rubber tabs that need to lock into the back of cover hold them into place.

Top Bottom