Strange behavior from headlamp

TheO.Z.

Something is up with my NT, wondering if you guys have any ideas.
The bike has this habit of occasionally losing the headlamp. The entire headlamp, both low and high beams, will suddenly stop working. It happens intermittently, and when it does, the "high beam" light on the instrument cluster will turn off regardless if the switch is set to high beams or not. After a while (and not overtly related to whether or not I go over a bump), it'll pop back on, and the lamp will work again (and if the high beam is on, the high beam light will re-activate).
Obviously this happens at inconvenient moments (e.g., on the freeway at night).
I had it at a shop after I noticed the behavior initially, and they "fixed it", but did not indicate how. I'm not sure what could be causing this - possibly a short or a bad connector somewhere? I have checked most all of the connections I can reach without tearing the bike down and found no loose connections.
Any ideas what it might be? Could it just be a short in teh wiring harness (which is not exactly an easy fix, but, you know what I mean). Is there a connector I should be looking at and verifying is seated well? What could cause it to occasionally stop operating like that?

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
This is a fairly common problem and is actually the starter switch button.

When you push the starter button the headlight is turned off while the starter motor winds over. The switch can go faulty which results in the symptoms you are describing.

Other members have simply sprayed some good quality spray lubricant in the switch to fix the problem.

As an interim measure, when you have the problem a light touch of the starter button should get the lights working again

Last edited:
OP
OP

TheO.Z.

This is a fairly common problem and is actually the starter switch button.

When you push the starter button the headlight is turned off while the starter motor winds over. The switch can go faulty which results in the symptoms you are describing.

Other members have simply sprayed some good quality spray lubricant in the switch to fix the problem.

As an interim measure, when you have the problem a light touch of the starter button should get the lights working again
Fascinating, and strange. Should I disassemble the starter button section and clean contacts? Or should I just replace it outright? I could do that, no worries.

Is the starter motor brushless? Should I pull in the clutch when I do this to avoid any attempt at a starter motor engaging an already at-speed engine?

Bike
I have not had to do the fix myself but from what others have said I am fairly certain a spray of WD40 or even better RP7 will fix the problem without any disassembly.

I do not think you need to pull the clutch, just lightly touch the button to move the electrical contacts and the light should come back on (again from what others have posted)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, mine did that too. Contact cleaner did it. If you want to disassemble the switch it's even better. Use a pencil eraser (the green or pink kind) to clean the contacts then cleaner then reassemble.

FWIW, switch contacts on most bikes become an issue after a while. I've had to clean them at one time or another on every bike I have owned.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Should I pull in the clutch when I do this to avoid any attempt at a starter motor engaging an already at-speed engine?
No, don't pull in the clutch before you hit the starter switch, that would allow the starter motor to run....BAD.

With the clutch released there is a contact that prevents the starter motor from energizing. While rolling down the highway in gear with the clutch released, the starter switch will only turn off the headlights when pushed in, and turn the lights back on when released.

OP
OP

TheO.Z.

Just so we're all clear - it's the kill switch that's the problem, and I should replace the kill? or is it the actual starter button (it's been called "starter switch button" a few times)

That's for all the help, guys!

Bike
it is the starter switch button NOT the kill switch.

As I said before the starter switch button is wired so that when you push the starter button the headlight is turned off (this reduces the battery load) and when you release the starter button the headlight comes back on.

I believe (as already stated by others) that pushing the starter button when the bike is running will not activate the starter motor due to the way it is wired, so it is safe to push and then release the starter switch button if the headlight goes out while you are riding.

Please let us know what you find.

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Scary when it happens too. But a relatively simple fix.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Too get familiar with how it all work in a safe environment try this:

1. Put the NT on the center stand, put it in any gear, release the clutch, kill switch on, turn ignition switch on. Notice headlight is on. This is identical as it would be riding, except now the engine is off. Without squeezing the clutch, push the starter switch. The starter motor does not turn on and the headlight goes out. This is identical to what will happen if you press the starter switch with the engine running and not squeezing the clutch.
2. Now with the starter switch depressed, squeeze in the clutch. Now the starter cranks. You do not want the starter to crank with the engine running. Do not squeeze in the clutch and press the starter switch with the engine running.
3. Put the NT on the center stand, put it in any gear, release the clutch, kill switch on, turn ignition switch on. Notice headlight is on. This is identical as it would be riding, except now the engine is off. Now turn the kill switch off. Notice the lights stay on. The kill switch has no affect on the lights. There is no need to suspect the kill switch is causing your headlight problems.

Your starter switch contacts can get dirty and will not keep your light on with the start switch released. It's pretty common. Sometimes the switch is sticky and does not fully release on its own....a spring has to push the switch button fully out. It wouldn't hurt to push the starter switch in and gently pull it out without first turning on the ignition to determine if the switch's spring is fully pushing the button out when it is released. Exercising it several times can sometimes help contacts make a better contact, but most likely the starter switch will need to taken apart to clean the contact surfaces. In the meantime, if your lights give you a fit while riding, simply depress & giggle the starter switch only (clutch released) to try to get the lights back on.

CommuterNT

I have not had to do the fix myself but from what others have said I am fairly certain a spray of WD40 or even better RP7 will fix the problem without any disassembly.

I do not think you need to pull the clutch, just lightly touch the button to move the electrical contacts and the light should come back on (again from what others have posted)
+1
Same thing happened to me. Freaked me out that I had some sort of electrical gremlin. Took it to the dealer who took a quick look, lubed and cleaned it with no charge. Much relief it was so simple.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I find that the "grease" that Honda uses in their switches can be a real source of many switch problems. The grease hardens over time and causes the switches to stick and not fully return. Cold weather can often really exacerbate the problem.

Disassembling, cleaning the contacts, removing all the old grease, lubricating and reassembling will have your switch likely working like new again.

Since we are on the topic of switches, it is always a good idea to regularly "exercise" all the switches. Exercising the switch helps to keep the contacts clean of dust/debris. Switches like the kill and Hi/Low beams may not be regularly used. If not, try exercising those every few weeks to keep them in top condition.

Last edited:

elizilla

You can even use this starter button headlight shutdown thing, to flash your headlights. As long as you don't pull the clutch, pushing the starter button just turns off the lights. Handy when you are trying to get the ride leader's attention.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I never even thought about that and I knew that pushing the starter button turned them off. It's nice to have people make connections that are useful for multiple purposes.

elizilla

It's only good for Hondas though. Yamaha does it differently.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What about Kawasakis? I know I have hit the starter button on my Connies while riding, but don't remember if I ever noticed whether the headlights went out when I did it or not.

My other famous trick with switches when riding was in the first year I owned a bike, my old '83 Silverwing. Twice I managed to hit the kill switch when I stopped and spent over a half hour trying to get the bike to run. Once I was north of Sidney, NE, about 140 miles from home and I called a friend who had a trailer to come and get me. Right after I hung up from talking to him, I finally saw the kill switch and called him back just in time to keep him from driving up to get me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What about Kawasakis? I know I have hit the starter button on my Connies while riding, but don't remember if I ever noticed whether the headlights went out when I did it or not.

My other famous trick with switches when riding was in the first year I owned a bike, my old '83 Silverwing. Twice I managed to hit the kill switch when I stopped and spent over a half hour trying to get the bike to run. Once I was north of Sidney, NE, about 140 miles from home and I called a friend who had a trailer to come and get me. Right after I hung up from talking to him, I finally saw the kill switch and called him back just in time to keep him from driving up to get me.

elizilla

I have never owned a Kawasaki so their quirks are foreign to me. Maybe someone else here knows.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Phil,
The Kawasaki, at least in the original Concours did not work that way.
They used a relay circuit mounted in the fuseholder board. On the Connie when you first turn on the ignition switch, the headlight would stay off until the starter was first energized and then starter button released. It served the same purpose, to give full power to the starter while cranking.
I believe if the engine did not start the first time the headlight would still stay on.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks, Brad. That maybe explains why I never noticed that the headlights went out when I pushed the starter button.

Top Bottom