Streets and Trips Replacement

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Last fall my hard drive crashed and I successfully migrated everything to a new hard drive. Everything that is but Streets and Trips. Since I downloaded it from Microsoft when I purchased it, I had no CD ROM for backup thus I lost the utility. I searched (in vain) for a replacement and I finally found a website that offered a similar product. My Route App https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab. I planned a short trip with it and it works great. Somewhat different than S&T and does not have some of the functionality of S&T but a useful replacement IMHO. The best part is that once the route is planned it can be downloaded to your GPS in mere seconds with just a few clicks. See whatcha think!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've been a diehard user of S & T from my working days and even with Garmin Mapsource & later BaseCamp (yuck!), I found that S & T was much better and quicker at planning a long trip. I'd use S & T as sort of a sketchpad when a route was to my liking, I'd do the route again in Garmin. And I still have the S & T CD-Rom from those ancient days.

I'll check out "My route." Thanks!

ps. I've reverted back to Mapsource after trying BaseCamp for a year and sleep much better at night. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mike, I'm sure going to give it a try. I miss S&T. I've got a S&T CD, but haven't been able to get it to work in my new computer.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I use 2013 S&T and still find it the best program for my use. I carry a laptop on trips and a dongle GPS. I use Tyre to transfer to TomTom. Yes, it is not up to date on all the roads still it is my go for planning.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Will this work with my TomTom Rider?
Thanks in advance
Yes, according to the website, it and TomTom play well together. The website is European (Netherlands, I think) and I believe TomTom is the preferred GPS (or SatNav as it's known) across the pond.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike, I'm sure going to give it a try. I miss S&T. I've got a S&T CD, but haven't been able to get it to work in my new computer.
I don't like it as well as my old S&T. The more I play with it the better I may like it but since I no longer have S&T it is better than nothing. Also, they have a companion app for your cell phone which I haven't used yet.

Mike

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Mike,
Thanks for posting this link for MyRoute. I find Garmin BaseCamp to be unfriendly and have been wanting a simple to use app... so I started watching some of the MyRoute webinars... so far so good. I like the integration with Google Maps... course that's a for pay feature after the trial period.
Will this work with my TomTom Rider?
Thanks in advance
Daler,
TomTom Rider is mentioned as compatible in one of the webinars I watched.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I signed up for the pay feature. It's not terribly expensive and you can cancel at anytime. I really should look at some of the webinars so I can learn it more quickly.

I don't know why everyone seems to badmouth Base Camp. I find it very easy to create routes. I usually start in Google Maps and find some roads that look interesting. Then I go into Base Camp and click on the Waypoint tool and lay points along the route I want. Next I click on the New Route button and I attach each of the waypoints. After verifying the route (some times I may put a waypoint on the wrong side of a divided highway) I send it to my GPS. Someone on one of the other forums I go to has created a class (I think there are 14 lessons) on setting up your files and creating a route.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
I don't know why everyone seems to badmouth Base Camp. I find it very easy to create routes. I usually start in Google Maps and find some roads that look interesting. Then I go into Base Camp and click on the Waypoint tool and lay points along the route I want. Next I click on the New Route button and I attach each of the waypoints. After verifying the route (some times I may put a waypoint on the wrong side of a divided highway) I send it to my GPS. Someone on one of the other forums I go to has created a class (I think there are 14 lessons) on setting up your files and creating a route.
Cnille,
Maybe poor choice of words on my part, I really did not intend to "badmouth". BaseCamp is what it is. My experience after the BaseCamp 4.7 upgrade left my installation without Google Earth integration. It was nice having this nearly seamless functionality. Could you point me to the forum you have referenced with the BaseCamp classes?

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
For me anyway, I dislike Base Camp because it is just not very intuitive, read easy for old farts to use. With S&T I was off an running in no time.

Mike

Cnille,
Maybe poor choice of words on my part, I really did not intend to "badmouth". BaseCamp is what it is. My experience after the BaseCamp 4.7 upgrade left my installation without Google Earth integration. It was nice having this nearly seamless functionality. Could you point me to the forum you have referenced with the BaseCamp classes?
I have looked at all of my saved links and I can't find the Youtube lessons but I did find this link that was some help.

http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

If I find the other link I will post it.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Cnille and Mike, thanks for your help.

Cnille, the links you provided give me a place to get helpful information. Just gotta take some time and tune my current Base Camp knowledge.

Top Bottom