Sub-500cc bikes from BMW in the future?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I havent seen much on the bmws but i have read alot about the CB500F/X i like the looks of the F better than the X but the X has slightly longer fork travel and a bigger gas tank. All in all i would probably still get the NC700 before either of the 500s though. Not currently in the market. But if i had to replace the NT I think i would try the NC.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The question I would ask of BMW is this: How far below $10K will these sub 500CC bikes get if at all???

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Culturally it will be pure hell for the hardcore, lifelong Beemerites. When the F650 (single cyl) was first introduced it was being manufactured in Austria and it caused an uproar. Some 10+ years later that bike re-emerged as the G650 and the entire bike is made in China. And now they'll have some "lower cost" models from India?

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
It is hard to remember back to when I was a teenager (not). Made about 5K in my junior year in High School and could afford to buy a New Triumph Bonneville with a couple of part time jobs. With the average new car price right at 30K bucks the average cost of a new bike around 15K getting a new ride is a lot harder today than ever for most.

Some fun affordable machines would be just the ticket.

tawilke46

IIRC, I paid around $700 for a new 1972 CB350. The same year I bought a new Fiat 128 two door for $1,800.

Not sure about BMW getting into the 500cc market. There is a whole lot of competition from the far East in the lower displacement market. And like Hyundai they are improving the offerings and quality every year. Even though BMW would likely build these bikes in other countries, could they still price the products competitively.

EDIT:
The BMW scooters are Kymco......but still sticker at $11,000 on the showroom floor.
Not much price advantage there. For that kind of money, get a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
IIRC, I paid around $700 for a new 1972 CB350. The same year I bought a new Fiat 128 two door for $1,800.

Not sure about BMW getting into the 500cc market. There is a whole lot of competition from the far East in the lower displacement market. And like Hyundai they are improving the offerings and quality every year. Even though BMW would likely build these bikes in other countries, could they still price the products competitively.

I agree with what your are saying, but the new Honda 500s are built in Thailand and should be ahead of the Indians. I am not prejudice, and would have to see them in person to see for certain, but I think this round of sub 500 motos will go to Honda and the Ninja 300. The Honda's are already being produced and sold in Thailand and all reports are that they are great. So Honda dependability, and probably competitive if not lower price than the Beemers. We will just have to wait and see.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Shows how global the economy is becoming (has become). Here we are talking about a German bike to be built in India, Japanese bikes built in Thailand and China. I've had tweo Japanese bikes, different manufacturers; both were built in Spain.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I dont think the geography of manufacture is as important as the quality of the engineering and the diligence/dedication of the QC personnel tasked with approving the bikes as they are assembled and tested

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
If my Kawasaki 250 Ninja is any indication of Thai quality, there is no problem. The new 300 Ninja is absolutely unbelievable. I like Asian bikes because they are well made and are priced right. BMW is fine, but like anything German, is, in my opinion way overpriced.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I for one am glad to see some sanity return to motorcycle engine sizing. When I was a pup, my CB 750 was a BIG bike and now it is a mere middleweight. I think the economy will force the consumer to want something smaller than the liter + bikes that dominate the market now. A well engineered 750 will accomplish most any task the rider could possibly want.

Just my .02

Mike

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
it will be interesting to see what BMW comes out with, and as previously commented, at what price point.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
+1 on what Alex said. My 2011 CBR250R was made in Thailand or India (can't remember) and the quality was superb
Engine performed flawlessly, fit and finish excellent
In the time I had the bike I couldn't find a single fault, with the exception of a few missing horses

Top Bottom